What are we complaining about?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Oct 4, 2014 at 9:01 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Trust me guys, I'm on your side. Being a pharma "sales" rep sucks. I use "sales" because we are no longer allowed to sell, we deliver messages. We also deliver lunches and kiss doctors' asses. Teleconferences with no substance, useless meetings, compliance tests, performance reviews, no access, non-working teammates, layoffs....I could go on and on. But has anyone ever on this site complained about their salary? Has anyone had to file bankruptcy due to a large hospital bill due to no medical coverage? When you go to the pharmacy, are your co-pays outrageous? Have you ever had a flat tire and thought "how am I going to pay for this?" And when you do your job correctly, guess what? You get an extra check once a year just for doing that job. We get raises each year (yes, it is marginal, but it is still a raise). And when the car you get to drive gets up there in miles, you click on a link and pick out a new one with the color of your choice. I think we can agree that any employee can get down on their job. The UPS guy can't duck into Starbucks for an hour while the storm blows over. The GM gal has the monotonous job of putting the same door on every car while working the assembly line. The accountant does excel sheets all day. You get the point. Yes, our jobs are annoying but thank God we don't have to get second and third jobs to make ends meet. Merck pays me six-figures to do a job. If they asked me to turn cartwheels in offices, I would do it.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well said!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the money in pharma, but by gosh, my mind was just turning to mush in that silly industry…Just had to get out of Merck's toxicity…

no one ever complained about the money, because with the mental torment they put you through, you will end up earning every penny of it…

trust me on that one people…

FU MERCK!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nicely said!

FU MERCK!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I went from Merck IT, as soul sucking as field jobs from what I've read here, to a financial services company. MORE salary, MORE bonus, stock grants worth REAL money all for LESS stress and REAL work! My skills are actually used to solve problems and improve system performance, not to keep out of date, poorly designed systems on life support.

FU Merck!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, we agree that we earn every penny of our salary. Just like every other American. Teachers, police officers, firemen, nurses and a million other careers go through mental torment. The big difference is we get paid more per year than those jobs listed put together.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The thing most of those careers have in common? The ability to 'retire' by, say, 50 and start another career without effort. Full pensions in the bank and a new salary to ride out for the remaining 15-18 years of your work life. Try that with pharma sales.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wrong!

Check out the retirement packages on those jobs!

Big pensions and chock full of free goodies for life!

Most have a sweets ride with frosting in retirement!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We live in the land of the 125k teachers salary. Their pension is 80% of outgoing salary plus free red carpet benefits for life! Firemen, police and other state workers close behind! Now that puts most pharma peons in the poverty bracket!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am complaining about the downright evil behavior that I've watched management engage in. That's what I'm complaining about.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

True. Know some who are doing exactly what you describe. Public servants? Yea, and living way above the average public citizen...thanks to the taxpayers.

The system have flipped over. Its no mystery why some states are on the brink of bankruptcy and residents are fleeing from the draining tax burdens!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The old boys club, keeping buds in their jobs, setting best workers up for exit, inflicting damage on innocent people..........more downright evil deeds that need put in the spotlight!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Poster #10 is right. It is not about the pay. It's about the overall toxic Merck culture, especially the last 10 years. It is the bullying by management, the non-stop intimidation, the environment of fear and retribution. It's about the perpetual, forced stack-ranking among the "survivors", despite the fact that 40,000 people have already been laid off in the past 5 years. What use is the salary when Merck rank-and-file are living in constant anxiety, popping Xanax and Effexor like they're candy, unable to sleep, unable to relax, blood pressure jumping up and down like a kangaroo, etc. While it is true that many big corporations have ratcheted up the pressure in this economic climate, Merck has gone above and beyond in creating a toxic swamp for their workforce. Speaking up gets you shafted. Any insight or feedback, whether from the field or from the lab, gets dismissed...and the employee gets bottom-bucket infamy. The best and brightest have long since gone to greener pastures.

This climate is no accident. It is carefully crafted and delegated from the very top by arrogant, self-absorbed, malicious senior leadership. This is exactly how they want it. Even though the company is imploding from within, they just do not give a crap, as long as they can cash in on the artificially high stock price. When Merck senior management puts "Be Well" at the end of their corporate e-mails, they clearly do not mean their employees, the majority of whom are rather Unwell. So with all due respect to the OP...you are full of sh!t. Cartwheels are not going to save anyone in this cess-pool.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bravo!! Well said…you totally get it…it is no accident that the Merck culture is what it is…It is designed this way, and is a Ponzi scheme of the highest order, where there are a few winners, and many, many losers…

FU MERCK!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I really enjoyed your post and they system truly has "Flipped Over" as you so well put it…

When I was growing up, (I am in my 50s now) I was raised to be successful with the advice to go to college, get a job with a corporation, and by God, stay away from public service jobs…those were for losers, underachievers, and to be something like a fireman was just unthinkable…total losers!!!

Guess what folks…those are the people retiring early, generous bordering on insane pension security for life, and lying in the sun in Cabo Wabo…And firemen?? The firemen I know are living some of the nicest lifestyles of any of my friends…what a great gig…(Aside from the very occasional risk of going inside a burning house which is rare.)

Public sector is the place to be now…Private sector sucks big time…

The left in this country won the game… :eek:(

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

...and so the worst of middle managers get to play out their masochistic tendencies,. If they see you as a good one they can push out expect a pink slip out of the blue...Anyone standing up for themselves when falsely berated is doomed. In most circles it's call victimization....

Hush your mouth and walk away. There is no cure being produced here....

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is the easiest job to do just that. While in pharma sales, I went back to school and got my RN degree. It was a two year program and I'm guaranteed to be able to start a new career when this train ride is over. I went to a small community college that was inexpensive. With all the wait time we have in offices, I studied. I would record my class lectures and listen to them while driving my Merck car around town. I did not get Merck education reimbursement because I didn't want them to know about my business. I'm not better than anyone else for doing this, I'm just saying take advantage of this job! I don't want to be doing sales when I'm 50 anyway. I'm already getting tired of the long drives and chasing down docs.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are extremely wise and executed your career plan as everyone should who is playing pharma rep game. I did the same and did not use tuition reimbursement either, not wanting anybody at Merck to get a whiff of what I was really doing. Nor did I want Merck to be able to tell me what or when I had to do something if I was using their money. I still plan to retire from Merck and then work part time on MY schedule as I choose.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pharma sales may have been a decent career 20 years ago, but not now for heaven's sake. No way. Pay and bennies aren't anything to write home about either. I'd have been much better off to have retired from public school teaching or some other civil servant work in my state after 30 years and still in my early 50's. Merck sucks and our benefits have done nothing but get worse. I have a 55 year old cousin who retired from the Oregon Department of Transportation and is getting paid more from his pension now than he ever earned while actively working. Go figure. No wonder so many government pension programs are underfunded. A lot of teachers with OPERS are enjoying a much nicer retirement than I am from Merck. If you clowns still working at Merck think Merck is all that great with great retirement benefits, you are deluded.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's more than pharma reps work!