Novartis Fat Cats

Discussion in 'Novartis' started by Go Jose !, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Go Jose !

Go Jose ! Guest

Report: Roche, Novartis among Swiss companies with highest pay gaps
    June 24, 2014 | By Arlene Weintraub

The salary differences between top executives and the lowest-paid employees widened at 18 large Swiss companies last year, with pharma giants Roche ($RHHBY) and Novartis ($NVS) ranking high on the list of top offenders. That's the conclusion of a new report from Travail Suisse, an organization of trade unions.

The Travail Suisse report reveals that the top earners at Roche and Novartis are paid at least 200 times more than the lowest-paid employees, Bloomberg reports. That put them in the same league as Swiss giants Nestlé, UBS ($UBS) and Lindt & Spruengli when it comes to pay inequality, the report said.

Executive pay has been a hot topic in Switzerland, exemplified by a 2013 brouhaha over Novartis's plan to hand outgoing chairman Daniel Vasella a $78 million non-compete agreement. Novartis aborted that plan, just in time for a Swiss vote to limit executive pay.

And Swiss voters made it clear they would not tolerate so-called "fat-cat" pay packages in the future. A majority voted to outlaw signing bonuses, golden handshakes, and golden parachutes, and to give shareholders power over annual executive compensation.

The CEOs of Switzerland's two largest pharma companies certainly took home rich pay packages last year. Roche's Severin Schwan earned about $13.4 million, even as the company's massive restructuring claimed 1,000 jobs. And Novartis's Joe Jimenez took home $14.2 million, as the CEO battled against a declining vaccines business, quality-control problems at a U.S. plant, and the loss of patent protection on its blockbuster blood-pressure drug Diovan.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's called a "Mob" mentality.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Since they didn't earn it it's called theft.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Swiss "payola"!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what would they 'earn' if they did a good, honest job? either $100 mil or zero because running this business honestly (no bribes, ginned up studies etc..) they'd have 1/2 (or less) of sales :/

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

YAY.... I LOVE THE FAT CATS. I HOPE THEY MAKE EVEN MORE MONEY!!! FREE MARKET RULES!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pharma isn't a free market moron.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wealthy people are awesome. They are educated. They work hard. They contribute to society. They pay most of the taxes, which are consumed by the takers. And did I mention... they are AWESOME!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Of all the fat cats, I love Novartis Fat Cats The MOSTEST!!!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They pay less taxes now, in proportion to their income they they have since the income tax was enacted.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's great, but they still pay almost 90% of the freight.