Associate role?

Discussion in 'Applied Medical' started by Anonymous, Jan 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how is the associate TM position as foot in the door? possible for promotion to TM or do most associates jump ship and go elsewhere once they get their 2 years of experience? Is the quoted comp of 45k base plus commission, 65-70k at plan feasible?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes to all the above...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

would you suggest it as a good experience/resume builder for a couple years, knowing the problems TM's encounter here?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just got a call from a recruiter as well for a TMA position in the NE. Before someone blasts me, I read most of the posts on here and doubt it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's a little discerning to read the same negative themes recurring for almost 4-5 yrs, so I was wondering if anyone from NY or NJ could shed some light into Applied and if its even worth considering? The comp I was quoted is a little low, but I'm sure thats negotiable. Thank u in advance

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, it's definitely not as you'd think by reading posts in this forum. If you read through the posts, you can easily tell it's the same few people shitting on every thread. Applied has lots of reps and managers who've been there for many years. I can assure you they wouldn't stay if things were remotely like you sometimes read here. Any company will weed out lazy or non-performing sales reps. You'll find that to be the case just about anywhere. In every company, you'll find people who always think their quotas are too high, working conditions are unfair and the managers suck.

It's interesting, if you read posts in most of the medical company forums on this board, they sound like they come from the same few disgruntled people.

I'd go for the role. Work hard and after a couple of years, you'll have good experience that will help you with your sales career whether it be with Applied or some other medical company.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

.................Says the Applied Manager. My advice would be do your due diligence and ask around. I'm not sure if you are coming out of college, not med device, or perhaps another med device company. You will probably find that 90% of the surgeons, admin, staff you run into all are in agreeance with what you are reading here on CP. don't believe me? Ask around. And as for the comment about pay: I used to work there and will tell you the amount of pay that you will be receiving for the amount of work you do is horseshit. Mgr's and LCM's are WAY overpaid and don't do 1/10th of the amount of work you will be doing. Many of the posts about everyone being from US Surgical is true. They're all out for each other and you will never be a part of that clique. Oh yeah, almost forgot: noone cares about trocars anymore. Applied ruined it for everyone. Good luck if you take the job, you're going to need it

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How did Applied ruin it?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ask Ethicon or Covidien. Or better yet, ask ANY doctor. Your trocars are cheaper than a crack whore

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Posts #6 and #8 confirm my observations (post #5). Peruse most any forum on this board and you'll hear similar comments from former disgruntled, displaced employees. Covidien and Ethicon are very good examples. Check them out and see for yourself.

Strange how #6 and #8 don't give details as to their new great employer post Applied or other "unfair" company. Please give an example of your next employer (name of company and position) that substantiates your comments as to Applied, Covidien and Ethicon being "unfair" or bad places to work compared to now.

Standing by..... Once we hear, we'll all send in resumes:)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where I am now is not of yours or anyone's concern. At the end of the day, I am in a better place, selling products that I enjoy, with better benefits, a company car, an AMEX card, and respect amongst my clinicians and colleagues. If u are happy at Applied, God bless u. U must be from US Surgical or friends with one of those guys.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Com.pany car and an Amex card. Wow, those are great career goals. Glad you found them

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As much as it sucks to say, this isn't the heyday of selling high priced products to a doc and a doc telling the hospital what he/she wants. Docs are working for hospitals now with a shrinking budget. It's the hospital's choice what their employees use, not the doc's choice anymore.

It's like you and where you work . Do you get to say what kind of computer you want? Or what kind of car you want? No, you get what the company provides. Some are fine with it, some bitch and complain. Hospitals are going that way too.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's definitely a changing landscape in our hospitals, but to the poster who wanted to know if Applied is a good place work, ask around. Surely u know someone in the medical field. U will get your answer from talking to ANYONE who has worked with Applied or used their trocars. Don't let a few disgruntled employees (former employees) or Applied managers playing the spin game trying to persuade u otherwise into thinking its a great place to work. And for $70k per yr, I would almost guarantee u can find a better opportunity paying more money selling better products. Good luck

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

lol!!! This post says it all. Applied goes from hospital to hospital selling solely on price and forcing balloon trocars down everyone's throats because they're afraid of losing out to reprocessing. Instilling fear into a customer and making them play by your rules is no way to conduct business mr. Applied mgr.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does everyone start at the associate level regardless of experience?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No. The associate position is entry level for people with no medical sales or even any sales experience at all in some cases. It's usually people in the 24-27 year old range who have demonstrated some success in whatever field they were in, but mostly who have characteristics that lead the local manager to believe they have the potential to be developed into productive reps. Their work ethic, their attitude and their ability to handle increasing responsibilities over time are assessed to determine if/when they are ready for promotion to the Territory Manager position, and in some cases that can occur in less than a year.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The funny thing about this post is u need to get promoted to sell a trocar. Man this company is a joke. It goes to show u how little credibility Applied has in the med device world that they hire ex criminals, barely out of school criminal justice/communications majors, or people with zero sales experience. Desperate times call for desperate measures boys?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is essentially an apprenticeship position. Most medical device companies have the Catch-22 that you need medical sales experience to even interview with them. We have positions where that's necessary, but the Associate position allows them the opportunity to get into medical device sales without prior medical sales experience, give them basic training, work them hard and see how they develop. I see nothing illogical about this system, as it benefits both parties, or if it doesn't they both have the option of parting ways.

As far as your condescending statement about selling trocars, I agree that it is not the most technical product in an OR, so tremendous depth of technical knowledge is not necessary. But anytime you try to change a product that surgeons use every day you will face challenging situations, including resentment that the hospital - not they - are prompting the change, internal hospital politics, and yes, occasional product issues that may arise in a case (and BTW ANY companies' products have occasional issues as well), and these need to be handled professionally and appropriately.

Also, I am not a rah-rah Applied guy, and I agree with some of the criticisms of the company that have been posted in the past, but I do not agree with all of them. The Associate position allows somebody to get in the door, and once they're in they can decide whether to put that experience on their resume' and move on, or if Applied is the place they want to build their career.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

no hablo Inglés muy bien, pero me gustaría saber más acerca de cómo trabajar para esta empresa. Qué se necesita alto grado de la escuela para conseguir trabajo en United States?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What kind of medical sales experience do you need to jump right into a TM position then? Does it have to be surgical device sales? Can it be dental sales, or repiratory sales or Advanced Wound care sales?