Short to Long Term Disability

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, May 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a friend who worked for a large known company. She had severe depression, went out on short term disability. Then, when that was up, transferred to her long term disability that she paid for as a company benefit. She hired an attorney, got approved for social security at about 2500 per month. She also gets 5-800 a month via her long term carrier for life. She is young, 40. How would this work at Merck. Does anyone know if this can be done. For someone who has been with Merck about 16 years, over 52. Thanks,

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can it happen? Yes. But only if the disability is very real -- the person would need to have depression so severe that they are essentially unemployable and have difficulty carrying out routine activities of daily living. Some people fall into this category. People trying to game the system don't. Sadly, people who try to game the system are the reason people who are disabled have to jump through so many hoops to get benefits they deserve

Both short term and long term disability claims get scrutinized very closely, although it is easier to get short term claims approved. The fact that you hate your job and that it is very stressful is not a disability. Claims filed around the time of a potential layoff are also going to get looked at closer. A disability means that your medical condition prevents you from being able to work in your profession

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just do some fact checking on the net.

CIGNA is one of the worst and they will have you on your knees crying Uncle before they pay you a long term dime. Plus, even if they do, your life will be a living hell.....
    -Appointments all the time, your doc & theirs
    -Endless paperwork
    -Even the attempt to get an accommodation for you i.e. to photocopy papers from home or some other meaningless task for the company....your doc or theirs says well you can do that & then BAM you are laid off or fired because you did not dot an "I" or cross a "t".

Saw an active court case in OK where a Merck rep has MS and was in a car accident. The rep is having to fight it out in court for years to try and get the benefits she paid for.

What a shame !

Best advice.... Take the severance and go; that's my plan..

...and this is coming from a person who is seeing all kinds of doctors.

After you get your severance, file for SS Disability(if you qualify); if it is that bad.

If they keep you, you'd be better off if you're qualified for workman's comp.