Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

Discussion in 'Job-Seekers' started by Anonymous, Feb 13, 2008 at 1:37 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've been in real estate for the last 7 years; I have a brag book documenting my success, last 6 years of W-2's showing well over 100k in earnings per year, I should have my Napsrx cert done within a month and I'm only 20 units away from graduation with an overall GPA of 3.67. I'm in my early 30's, is it a mistake trying to break into Pharma sales?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do not list the NAPSRX on your resume. Your judgement will be questioned.

If you are making over 100k a year in real estate, be prepared for a paycut.

Majority of pharma reps make total about 85k. That's with bonus.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You'd be an absolute fool to think getting into pharma is going to advance your career. I would see virtually no benefit for you to change positions. 1) you're already too old to start at the bottom of pharma 2) you won't make that kind of money for several years---if ever, depending on what kind of suck up promotions and relocations you are willing to do 3) you'd probably have to start out with one of the crummy companies, put up with a whole lot of bs and eventually work your way up 4) depending on where you live, your options are becoming more and more limited daily with major companies making cut backs and layoffs.

Much of the industry is in a downward spiral right now and likely will be for several years. I don't have any idea why you would leave a successful career for a shot in the dark at some stereotype you had about pharma a few years ago. Believe me, I know very well. I made this my career, gave it a full commitment, have been at the top of every district and made more than my share of commission. Now I wish to the heavens I had some other kind of training for a job with some security and satisfaction that my hard work was somehow appreciated. People will always buy real estate, but unless you're willing to up your family and move all over the US for a job making less and less money with less satisfaction and more grief----stay where you are and quit paying for ridiculous "education."

4. ClintCora

ClintCora Guest

From the money point of view, I would have to agree with the others on this one. It seems that you are very successful in your career already so why would you want to leave it unless there's something in real estate that you just can't stand anymore.

Have you researched pharma enough to decide whether that field is definitely better for you compared to real estate? Having said that, some people do move into pharma sales with the intention of becoming a marketing or sales manager someday but that route does take some time.

One thing you also probably should ask yourself is if your current job in real estate is not working for you, is there a similar area you can explore but still stay within the real estate umbrella?

Whatever your decision, just make sure that you do your research so that you have a pretty good idea of what pharma people do on a day to day basis before jumping in. And you can get that idea best by shadowing a few reps.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was just hired by Eli Lilly after I completed the CNPR Program. It really did work for me. Eli Lilly definetly utilizes the NAPSRX as the District Mgr. who interviewed me, explained he received my resume through the Career Center.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, okay NAPSR employee. A 5th grader could write better than the people at NAPSR. NAPSR ripped off other authors. There were numerous typos in the manual. I have a friend who is an RBD for Lilly and he said a NAPSR certification is a joke, and as another poster mentioned, makes one question the job candidate's judgment. There are other threads that bash the integrity of a NAPSR certification if you care to see them. I purchased the manual and certification against my better judgment, yet I still made it into pharma without that nonsense on my resume. You are a moron to proudly put that sh*t on your resume.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The above comment is obviously not correct:
    http://www.prwebdirect.com/releases/2005/3/prweb214341.htm

Washington DC (PRWEB via PRWebDirect) March 2, 2005 -- The National Association of Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives is happy to announce a 1 year recruitment advertising agreement with Eli Lilly. Eli Lilly’s goal is to become the premier sales force in the pharmaceutical industry. They are looking for diverse and dynamic professionals who want to be a part of a winning team and to make a difference in people's lives.

Eli Lilly joins a long list of Pharmaceutical companies who have supported the NAPSR when they look to add to their sales force. (Past advertisers include: Schering-Plough, Andrx Laboratories, BIOGEN, Sanofi-Synthelabo, plus many more) If your company needs help in recruiting, education, or training please email the association at questions@napsronline.org.

The NAPSR’s Advisory Board and professional trainers have gained valuable experience from companies such as GlaxoSmithKline, Merck, Pfizer, Aventis, Abbot Laboratories, Forest Pharmaceuticals, Wyeth, TAP, Bausch & Lomb, Johnson & Johnson amongst many other major pharmaceutical companies. This expertise allows the NAPSR™ to monitor, train and educate successfully.

The NAPSR™ has been highly recommended to the many individuals who are looking to break into the Pharmaceutical Sales industry as well as for advancing the careers of current pharmaceutical reps. If you are looking to gain entry into the industry, please review the areas of the website geared to entry-level sales. If you have any questions just email us at questions@napsronline.org.

The National Association of Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives™ represents experienced and entry-level sales rep nationally. The certification (CNPR™) is a pharmaceutical sales certification program which is heavily marketed to the pharmaceutical industry. You can find information about the NAPSR every month in Pharmaceutical Representative magazine, which is circulated to over 90,000 current pharmaceutical representatives and managers. The CNPR™ examination and the NAPSR™’s Training Manual was compiled by surveying the pharmaceutical industry and its members.

The NAPSR offers online education for individuals who look to gain entry into a career in pharmaceutical sales. The NAPSR’s education course is designed to provide the workforce skills necessary to acquire professional caliber positions in the pharmaceutical industry. The NAPSR program will be offered through over 200 colleges and universities this fall (schools include: Ohio State University, University of Texas, Rutgers University, Indiana University, Colorado State University, plus hundreds more!!) However, you can take advantage of the course now by ordering directly through the NAPSR. For more information you can visit the NAPSR website at www.napsronline.org.

8. USA TODAY July 2008

Developed in response to a rising demand for trained entry level pharmaceutical sales representatives, the NAPSR nationally recognized online certification and CNPR sales training program will provide individuals with the tools to gain entry-level jobs in the industry. Upon registering for the course, students will automatically gain membership with NAPSR and will become eligible to sit for the CNPR national certification exam at no additional cost.

"There is a great demand for pharmaceutical sales reps, which means there is an equal need for solid training devices," said Stephen Gatlin. "In short order, this program will become one of our most popular offerings. Pharmaceutical sales can be a very rewarding career, and the first step toward realizing that is completing the CNPR entry level pharmaceutical sales course."

When pharmaceutical sales applicants lack a formal pharmacology and medical education, the program can ready them for a long and successful career by imparting information regarding general medical terminology, clinical pharmacology, managed care, drug sampling rules, effective selling techniques and more.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why not, you will get a company car and benefits that you aren't getting in R/E. You can still sell R/E on the side once you get going with your job in pharma.

10. NEWS ALERT: from Pharmaceutical Representative Magazine - August 2008 page 11.

New PhRMA provisions will directly impact pharmaceutical rep training. All new pharmaceutical reps must be sufficiently trained about laws, regulations and industry codes of practice that govern interactions with healthcare professionals, according to the revised code. PhRMA suggests that companies assess reps periodically about the new standards of conduct and take actions against reps who do not meet the quidelines.

PhRMA also is asking pharmaceutical CEOs and compliance officers to certify each year that have processes in place to comply with the code of conduct. PhRMA suggests that pharmaceutical companies use companies like the NAPSR to verify that they have processes in place.

Within hours of the announcement Johnson & Johnson announced that it would follow the new guidelines and other pharma companies are expected to follow suit.

11. Jil

Jil Guest

I want to thank the NAPRx for helping me with my pursuit of a pharmaceutical sales career. The CNPR training was just what I was looking for and certainly was the deciding factor in my interviews. I interviewed with NOVARTIS, GSK, Forest and AstraZeneca and just accepted a position with Forest. I know this would not have happened if I had not completed the CNPR entry level pharmaceutical sales training offered by the NAPRx. Thanks again for helping me break into pharmaceutical sales.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am looking to enter a career in pharmaceutical sales. I was advised to get my CNPR Certification. I know that my alumni university (University of Alabama) offers the CNPR Certification program. Should I take the pharmaceutical sales training at the university or by correspondence?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pharma sales suck. Don't waste your time or money taking these crap courses. Look for another career.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

U.S. News examined the Labor Department's brand-new job growth projections for 2009 to 2018. As the baby boomer generation ages, the healthcare industry will continue to offer some of the best opportunities for employment especially in the pharmaceutical industry. A pharmaceutical sales career certainly makes a lot of common sense, since not everyone wants to be a nurse or a doctor, U.S. News looked for occupations in a broad range of categories. And since not everyone can go back to school for a doctorate, a pharmaceutical sales career can be achieved with sales ability, a CNPR Certification which includes pharmacology and industry training.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You need to ride along with two or three reps so you can see how boring this job has become over the past few years. I tried it for a couple of years and could not stand it. You will lose your self-worth very fast in this industry!!!!!!!!! (That is.... if you currently take pride in what you do now.)

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is what I found out:

CNPR® Certification helps applicants qualify for a pharmaceutical sales career:

CNPR® Pharmaceutical Sales Certification is the college accredited healthcare industry assurance that an individual has met rigorous, peer-developed and reviewed standards endorsed by a national professional body -- National Association of Pharmaceutical Representatives®.
    Employers welcome and respect CNPR® Pharmaceutical Sales Training offered by the association as well as at over 300 universities/colleges nationwide.
    The NAPRx® can be used as a third party to verify the credentials of pharmaceutical sales professional to promote ethical regulatory and compliance guidelines which have recently been modified.
    CNPR® Certification (Entry Level- Pharmaceutical Sales Training) is important for internal professional recognition, external verification, and accountability for applicants looking to enter the very technical and scientific industry of pharmaceutical sales.
    The CNPR® program is the only accredited vocational pharmaceutical sales training course in the United States which is dedicated to helping those enter a career in pharmaceutical sales.

The CNPR® Pharmaceutical Sales Training program was initiated to:

Provide pharmaceutical sales education to individuals who are seeking a professional career in the pharmaceutical industry.
    Address the professional advancement needs of applicants already established as professionals but not in the pharmaceutical industry.
    Establish benchmarks of scientific qualifications required to interview and enter a career in pharmaceutical sales.
    Provide a recognizable mark of excellence for candidates interviewing with pharmaceutical companies.

The CNPR® program details include:

Correspondence training which is self-paced but educates students on the pharmaceutical product knowledge required by pharmaceutical sales companies, provides knowledge on rules & regulations for selling pharmacology products.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, making over $100k a year and working 10am - 3pm M - TH sounds tough and boring.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

About how long do the CNPR classes take to complete?

19. samiamrx

samiamrx Guest

I noticed this posting is from a couple years ago....did you get into pharma? Did you take the certification? Curious since I am looking to go from cosmetic surgery sales to pharma sales. There are a lot of mixed reviews. Any helpful info is appreciated!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good idea to ride with someone - better yet, as the hiring manager if you can ride with one of his/her reps during one of the ride-alongs. Then you'll get a REAL view of what we go through.