Persona Designers

Discussion in 'Zimmer' started by Anonymous, Apr 28, 2014 at 2:54 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone know what surgeons designed Persona?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if you worked for Zimmer you would know....so why do you ask ??

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It was John Insall with help from David Hungerford. I saw it on his website

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Designers? Who needs designers when all you do is add more sizes and asymmetric tibias to an already successful, yet dated design. Get some crafty engineers to come out with some slick instruments, and a marketing department to come with a name like Persona and you've got a home run compared to DePuy or any other new knee out there.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interesting - given that Insall died in 2000. Not even Zimmer spin can make that one remotely true... Legacy blah...blah...blah...

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ha Ha. Even at Eastertime that would be some resurrection!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Zimmer just added sizes, asymmetric trays, 1 mm poly increments, and removed the sulcus for nexgen. They updated the instruments also. I will give Zimmer marketing a lot of credit though because as usual they have done a good job. I think Depuy did a better job developing a completely new knee but Zimmer won the marketing game.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Simply bringing something up to "par" and a transferring of royalties. Not smart, necessary.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can't you guys figure out it boils down still to the rep/surgeon relationship? I did 8 NexGens yesterday and today with 5 different surgeons using various instruments (mostly the anterior reference IM 4:1 stuff). Never sold a Personna nor do my surgeons really care. The NexGen is still the "gold standard" after 20 years…it is the total knee system that all other products are measured against. CAN'T BEAT IT! That being said, if all I had to sell was The UCI, Multi Radius, Kinematic, PCA, etc., now, my surgeons would still be using me and not you.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There's a lot of truth in your statement.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You smart man!! Rep/Surgeon relationship still matters. Does in my territory

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone really believe that there are surgeons truly driving design changes to current technologies? Most surgeon 'inventors' simply piggyback on the work that some poor engineer has spent years on. Pay the engineer 100K to eat, breathe, and sleep their invention to 99% completion. Meanwhile the highly influential surgeon salesman gets to provide about 1% feedback during no more than 10 hours worth of meetings and he gets to make 1-2 Million/year. Fucking joke. Most surgeons have never filed a single patent yet have been paid 100s of Millions of dollars over the past 30 years. Invent something and you deserve to get paid. Whore yourself out for royalty deals and you should get nothing more than a venereal disease.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Right on.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This sounds funny coming from the Zimmer board. Other than TM, what has Zimmer invented rather than copied in those last 30 years? Precoat? Fibermesh?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Zimmer did not invent TM!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Zimmer did not invent Trabecular Metal, nor did so called "Implex", Ultramet did. Zimmer applied the already-engineered Ta foam to implants.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In the 1970s, Howmedica (now Stryker) had the vast market share of the total joint business. In the early 1980s two ex- Howmedica designing surgeons (William Harris and John Insall) jumped to Zimmer with ideas that were turned down by Howmedica: The posterior-stabilized knee and the uncemented acetabular cup that was affixed with screws. There is a lot more Zimmer products that Zimmer invented that changed the industry if you are interested. I will always remember the 1986 AAOS meeting when the Zimmer and Howmedica sales forces were staying in the same hotel and we overtook them as the number one total joint company. There were a lot of upset guys on the elevator, lobby, bar, etc. We were laughed at by the haughty Howmedica reps in the 70's because Zimmer was a "soft goods and traction" company. They were shocked and lost most of their business in a short period of time. All the old Howmet guys in my area are long gone (dead or in Medicaid nursing homes). Their lives after 1984 was not good.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the ancient history lesson. What has Zimmer invented in the last 20 years?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Periarticular plates, Peri Prosthetic plates (best product ever), Cable pin, NCB plate. Just for starters...

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

J.I. Never worked with Howmedica he was with JnJ and NOT Depuy