Flector Patches

Discussion in 'Alpharma' started by Anonymous, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:14 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a rep with another company. I was prescribed Flector patches. Not only was it covered tier 2 on my plan (medco) but I found a rebate online so it cost me nothing. It was RX by my orthopedist for tendonitis. I know I can search online for this info but I figured I would ask other reps first. I find it to be a great medication patch and has completely relieved my pain.

1) What exactly is the medication in the patch? I know it is an NSAID but what kind?
    2) I sleep with it on my hip but it shifts. Any suggestions?
    3) Does this help heal the condition or just reduces inflammation and pain?
    4) Is it better than a cortisone shot? Better than oral NSAIDS?

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry Troll. Look up the answers in the package insert or ask your doctor. You cannot lure us into a conversation online that puts our company at risk. We are too smart for that here at Alpharma!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks a lot. I work for GSK and I was looking for answers from reps. Go F#$% yourself.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are sincere, I apologize for my colleague calling you a troll. But you, as a rep, surely understand that it would be inapropriate for us to make product claims online, even on an anonymous board in todays medicolegal climate. You can get answers to your questions at flectorpatch.com or by googling flector patch. Hope the product continues to work well for you and congrats on gsk's earnings report.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I use generic aspercream from CVS, cost me less than my copay for Flector copay and works better. The only drawback is having to rub in the cream.
    It is a shame that any company would sell an old NSAID for over $10 per day.
    No wonder Managed Care is cuting from thier plan. $300 per month vs $10 a month for generic orals or salicilate cream.

To the Flector reps. Do you have any studies that show efficacy is better than oral NSAIDS or Salicilate creams?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow! You Alpharma reps are pussies. I don't even work for your shit ass company. I think I will do my best to answer this for the OP.
    1) Look it up in the PI. Similiar to older NSAIDs like Voltaren.
    2) Use medical tape
    3) Does not heal, just reduces inflammation, which in theory should reduce pain and increase comfort.
    4) No studies were done to compare injections vs. patch or patch vs. oral NSAID.
    Benefit here is that you are not taking a med systemically. It goes right to the area via transdermal patch. 2 studies in PI show efficacy at 7 weeks and 14 weeks.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hell we ran out of Flector glue for almost three months and NEVER recovered. They even lied about the shortage

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That explains why it keeps coming off the OP's body. Try duct tape instead.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's the deal. The "representative" who claims to want to know more about the product went so far as to draw the line that Alpharma Pharmaceuticals is the one promoting the Flector Patch.

So s/he had the time to read either the package or the printout from his or her pharmacy. All they would have to do to know about the product that they were going to be using on their own body is READ. Hell, any patient who picked up a Flector Patch should have been able to answer a few of those questions listed.

Doesn't every pharm rep read the Package Insert in detail when they get a script for themselves or their family members/children?

We all know how to find out about a products recommended usage, dosages, indications, active ingredients, etc.

I say it's someone trying to provoke an off label conversation from one of us.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Try Voltaren Gel. Same molecule but many advantages over the Flector patch. For use on moveable joints, you do not have to worry about the adhesion of the patch to your skin. You actually get deeper penetration from the gel, so in cases such as tendonitis where you have such dense tissue to penetrate, the gel will reach the tissue for the necessary anti-inflammatory effects. Finally in cost, Voltaren Gel will be around a quarter of the price per day as the Flector patch. At least this is what I tell my patients.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

your patients? don't you mean the physicians you are selling the gel to? And I am sure you tell them about the 4x a day application, and all the other stuff involved with it. Great idea, stay off alpharma's board. I am sure you are the same bozo who started this whole discussion

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ummm do you have a study to back up that claim? i didnt know there was a head to head out there or data of such. I'll make sure to ask MY drs. bout that one

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes I read the PI to the asswipe above. Just wanted some rep insights. I did not know that there was a Voltaren gel. If it needs to be applied 4 times daily as someone else posted then I would not want to be using it. I have Medco which covered the RX and I found a $15 rebate online so it cost me $0. I like the patch because I put it on at night and pull it off in the morning. I changed the way I applied it (horizontally as opposed to vertical) so now it does not come off at night. I can actually run again which is great because I have not been able to do that for 4 months.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, it goes deeper because it has more systemic absorption than Flector Patch. But, just don't expose treated skin with Voltaren Gel to sunlight! Right there in their package insert. Says that in animal studies there is an increased risk of cancerous skin tumors. Nice! Lets not forget that it's 4x/day, have to wait 20 minutes before applying clothing, can't rub your eyes, even though it's indicated for hands, etc..... Oh, and that IS out of the PI.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think these mini chat rooms are hilarious... everyone bashes everything and everyone.

Question: How does the patch or gel stack up against some of the oral meds out there?

Celebrex has a good story to tell with the whole Cox 2 thing...

Naprelan has a once a day thing....

I'm sure Mobic has its advantages...

Why would someone want to rub gel all over themselves if they can just take a pill and be done with it once or twice a day?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A lot of people cannot take the side effects of taking an oral non steroidal. The gel is not that big of an issue if you are using for one or two joints. The patch is good for large flat surfaces such as the back and calf/ham string. I have heard from many physicians that the patch does not adhere well and patients do not get great efficacy from it. In clinical trials, if you look at their PI they could not separate from placebo in 2 of 4 short term trials. This is evidence of the poor efficacy. Many longer term studies of topical non steroidals show little evidence of any benefit over placebo past 12 weeks. This includes the gel. So if you cannot establish benefit in 2 or 4 weeks, longer term use is definitely out of the question, especially in regards to the cost of the patch.
    Voltaren Gel showed significant improvement in moderate osteoarthritis of the knee and hands in 8 and 12 week trials. I would consider this to be a much harder outcome to reach than acute strains and sprains. Fact is, yes 4 times a day application is a pain in the ass but most patients are using 2-3 times and seeing great results. The penetration is deeper and the onset is quicker. Still with little to no side effects. This is why sales are taking off and the cost can be a couple of bucks a day depending on amount of usage.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Careful you don't drown in that training cool aid you got at Voltaren Gel training. The Gel rep in my territory tried that PI line as well so I showed the doctor our PI and now the Gel rep is not allowed in his office for lying to him about a competitive product. Check facts before you bash your competitors...what goes 'round, comes 'round.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is not a lie asswipe. The first line under clinical trials your PI states the Flector Patch was able to establish efficacy in 2 of 4 acute clinical trials. This tells me it only works 50% of the time. Yeah that is a drug I want to use.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Or it could speak to the design of the study but I'm sure that's a little complicated for you. But since your here on our board let me ask you a question...Dude, is this REALLY your dosing instructions for the patients?...

Applying Voltaren® Gel to hands, elbows or wrists:
    1. The dose for each hand, elbow or wrist is 2 grams of Voltaren® Gel.
    • Apply Voltaren® Gel 4 times a day (a total of 8 grams each day).
    • Do not apply more than 8 grams each day to any one of your affected hands, wrists or elbows.
    2. To measure the right amount of Voltaren® Gel, remove one dosing card from the package and place the
    card on a flat surface so that you can read the print. If the print is backwards, flip dosing card over. See
    the picture below.
    3. Squeeze Voltaren® Gel onto the dosing card evenly, up to the 2 gram line. Make sure that the gel covers
    the entire 2 gram area of the dosing card as shown in the picture below. Put the cap back on the tube of
    Voltaren® Gel.
    4. Apply the gel to your elbow, wrist, or hand and gently rub the gel into the skin.
    • You can use the dosing card to apply the gel.
    • Make sure to cover the entire affected elbow, wrist or hand with the gel. Remember that the hand
    includes the palm of your hand, the top of your hand and your fingers.
    5. After using the dosing card, fold the used dosing card in half (application side inside) and throw it away
    in a safe place out of the reach of children and pets.
    6. Do not shower or bathe for at least 1 hour after applying Voltaren® Gel. Do not wash your treated
    hands for at least 1 hour after applying the Voltaren® Gel.
    7. Wait 10 minutes before covering the treated skin with gloves or clothing
    Applying Voltaren® Gel to knees, ankles, and feet:
    1. The dose for each knee, ankle and foot is 4 grams of Voltaren® Gel.
    • Apply Voltaren Gel 4 times a day (a total of 16 grams each day).
    • Do not apply more than 16 grams each day to any one of your affected knees, ankles or feet.
    2. To measure the right amount of Voltaren® Gel, remove one dosing card from the package and place the
    card on a flat surface so that you can read the print. If the print is backwards, flip dosing card over. See
    the picture below.
    3. Squeeze Voltaren® Gel onto the dosing card evenly up to the 4 gram line, making sure the gel covers
    the entire 4 gram area of the dosing card, as shown in the picture below. Put the cap back on the tube of
    Voltaren® Gel.
    4. Apply Voltaren® Gel to your foot, ankle or knee and gently rub the gel into the skin.
    • You can use the dosing card to apply the gel.
    • Make sure to cover your entire foot, ankle or knee area with the gel .
    For example, cover the skin above, below, inside and outside the knee cap. Remember
    that the foot includes the sole of your foot, the top of your foot and your toes.
    5. After using the dosing card, fold the used dosing card in half (application side inside) and throw it away in a
    safe place out of the reach of children and pets.
    6. Do not shower or bathe for at least 1 hour after application.
    7. Wait 10 minutes before covering the treated skin with clothing.
    8. Wash your hands after applying Voltaren® Gel to your foot, ankle or knee.
    Store Voltaren® Gel at room temperature, 590 F to 86 0F (150 C to 300 C).

BAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! Good luck with that! Now take your little whipped ass back to the Endo board and cry with the rest of the losers while you wait for the layoffs to leave home office and make it to the field!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Accidentally got my Voltaren Gel and my toothpaste mixed up. Now I have a powdery, minty residue all over my knees and feet and can't feel my mouth! FUCK!!!!