Break into CRM with PrepMD?

Discussion in 'Boston Scientific' started by Anonymous, Sep 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I hear what your saying...but I would have shelled out 35k to get in if it meant making 20k more a year than what I was currently making.

Prep's running 3 classes a year now...they are saturating the market and I believe their placement has gone to shit. I've heard they are getting kids jobs...but a lot of them aren't in CRM. I'd be pissed to spend 35k, bust my balls learning about fucking PVARP for 6 months and then end up working for Zoll. FML

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your right, their website even has Zoll and Bard's logo on their website. What's up with that shit? I guess that's what you have to do when you just flood the market. Good for them though, Bob and Matt must have realized that CRM is going to dog shit, so they ejected out and found a new way to siphon money out of CRM...capitalism man...capitalism.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

+1 for that assessment.

I think there is a high level management decision to "let the old model go" in the rep/doc relationship.

You see, the margins are still so large even now, that lowering prices to the point of making CRM devices become a total commodity product, (like rubber gloves) it will still be possible to return shareholders enough profit. When the high cost of field personnel and all the infrastructure that support that model are removed, it will look like a net profit increase - thereby satisfying the hunger of the Wall Street gods for "growth."

Someone mentioned a "time machine." That is what one would need to use if they are being trained under the "old paradigm" of field sales/service in CRM.

Companies like MDT, STJ and even BSX will retrench back into the large academic centers to "mould the minds" of the fellows coming out of their training programs. As the previous poster noted, remote monitoring will have a place in the follow-up regime and yes, some poor medical assistant will be charged with "interrogating" the device upon patient arrival for their doctor visit.

The question becomes, how long will it take to shift to a fully self supportive (hospital/clinic based) model? CRM devices are not rubber gloves, nor stents. It does require some level of competence to support these devices beyond the implant unlike a stent.

Look back and talk to the "old time" reps if any still exist. I am talking pre-ICD days or just at their inception. All the reps did was run from hospital to hospital stocking the shelves with devices that the doctors implanted without support. At some point, there was a shift to support implants as devices became more complicated (so we were told) and "needed" rep support. Now, the pendulum is swinging in the opposite direction. This time, there will not be any reps running from account to account, we have FedEx for that.

I am not sure if dumping $25K - $35K on a very specialized training program that is based on an old paradigm is a good investment. I don't care which school it is. (ITT Tech come to mind?)

All of that said, the PrepMD and ATI students that I have met have been well prepared for the job as it is currently defined. I just think there is no long term prospect given the shift.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When is the EP program being built?

5. #25 Anonymous, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2017 at 8:36 AM
    Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Graduated from PrepMD last year and had multiple offers...accepted a position with SJM with a salary of 80k and a 5k signing bonus.

There were 19 of us in the class and 18 had offers within 2 weeks of graduating.

I have nothing but great things to say about PrepMD.