Save money - live in your storage unit.

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Feb 10, 2015 at 11:46 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So to save money and retire early I have lived in my storage unit for 3 years. I am single and use the YMCA next door for morning workouts and showers. I have a cot, wardrobe and camo stove for all amenities inside the unit. It's heated an cooled year round so it's reasonable.

Am I crazy? I get my mail at a UPS store and use that as my address on my drivers liscence. I do this to save lots of money so I can retire early. No one on my team knows I love there and it's my big secret. I save about 150k in three years between salary and bonus. I'm new to the company and I want to retire by 40 so I buy rental property for cash with my savings. I want to stop working as fast as possible.

Any one have an opinion. I'm wondering if this is done by anyone else.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Holy shit. These "out of no where" trolls are getting tiresome.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You live like a mexican

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just spit my coffee out.
    HILARIOUS
    but true

Temperature control or not, I would never live in a storage unit if I could avoid it. At least get an efficiency where you can regulate dude, and use the bathroom in private. But living below means, on point.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And this is better than living with your parents (if they are still around). This sounds like BS to me. BTW-even the Mexicans in NY band together and live in homes/apartments. Crowded-but better than storage!!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interesting post indeed. Now back in the day, many of my reps had the big 8x10 units that Pfizer would foot the bill for. Several males turned them into love shacks. Would haul in a nice sofa, perhaps a pull out even, an end table, battery powered lamp WITH dimmer to help set the appropriate mood. Portable CD player and a make shift wine rack that held some cheap but effective liquids. A few even rolled out some carpet remnants which truly made for a cozy feel, and provided some knee cushion for when the Lilly rep or Merck hottie was told to get on all fours. The genius part was that these units where filled with reps from other companies who where receiving samples from UPS, etc, at all hours of the day. With some proper planning, it was like fishing in a bucket.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Now this is weird

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Seems to me he can retire now if he can live in a $50 a month storage unit. Anyone can retire at any time, its just a matter of what type of lifestyle you want.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I knew a guy, not a rep, who lived in his storage unit. The owner went in it because he heard noise inside to see if everything was ok. The idiot had illegal machine guns laid out on his cot. The police came and he went to prison for a few years. Absolute idiot. He should have kept them hidden!

As for the OP, it would be cheaper and more feasible to share a cheap 4 bedroom apt in a college town area with 4-8 students. At least you get a closer bathroom and have a kitchen to use. Also, might get to bang a roommate or neighbor.

Or.....Why not just sleep in your company car at the YMCA if you really want to save $$ and suffer like a fool?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What if you enroll in a college course or master's paid for by Pfizer? Can you then get a cheap dorm room at the college? Get on the cheap meal plan? This could be the way to go.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My freshman year at school we had a guy in doem 2 floors up who came back to school after getting out of jail. He stole cars. But he got a solo room because he was 38. He was matched with a kid but admissions goofed because his parents flipped out on move in day. But as a method of living. Go for it if it's free. Campus food is pretty good now a days.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In the early 90's I had to shack up in my storage unit! Going through a nasty divorce and needed to keeps cash output at a minimum. I did not know at the time I choose this particular rental unit that having a Marriott only a block down the street would come in so handy. I could stop in at the Marriott on my way to or from the storage unit and check in on daily events usually ( including weekends) there would be a large meeting scheduled. You know what that means! I would walk in wearing my suite and fit right in with the crowd. I would get coffee and breakfast and even dinners. Sometimes I would bring a bag to get seconds on all of the dessert goodies and take them back to the storage unit for a midnight snack. I did get lonely on those long three day weekends though! I kept this up for about 10 months! Managed to save a good chunk of change!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know folks in my storage unit complex have garage like units that hold campers. Just work with the front desk to finagle paperwork and pay the extra a month for the garage unit and roll a camper in their and live for cheap for years.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just wondering when the last time you got laid....

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The big question is where do do you poop in the middle of the night? I'm guessing it's a home depot bucket with a toilet seat in top.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Or a pool noodle cut in half and lengthwise wrapped around the top of the bucket.

Funny story, we had a hurricane and our electricity was out, but it was on a few miles away where a gym was located. So I joined and showered and got ready in the morning there for the next 3 days. Then my electricity came back on. I quit the gym and got a full refund because the law gives you a 3 day right to reject the membership.

Would that now be called a "life-hack" instead of a good old fashioned "cheap bastard"? LOL