Pinnacle

Discussion in 'DePuy Ortho' started by Anonymous, Jan 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has anyone run into liner disassociation?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, we have only ran into management's disassociation with ethical behavior.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The article suggest that there were 2 different versions of the ASR Cup. Is this actually true or is the author just confused about the use (and approval process) for the ASR cup with XL head in THA and the ASR cup with resurfacing head in hip resurfacing? I always thought it was the same cup, but the way that article reads the author thinks there were two different ASR cups. He is wrong, right?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They are using the term "model" to describe two different constructs, ASR XL and ASR. It says both models use the same cup.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's a story on the Pinnacle out of England...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17192520

But Mr Nargol's research suggests there are also problems with another all-metal hip, made by DePuy, called the Pinnacle, which is still on sale.

His hospital tested the nearly 1,000 patients who had been fitted with the all-metal Pinnacle there.

"The trust has brought back all the patients with Pinnacle cups - nearly 1,000 - tested them all, screened them, scanned them, and we know exactly what's happening," he said. "And we found out that of about 970 patients, 75 failures related to metal debris, which is really quite high."

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The pinnacle debacle is heating up:

http://www.timesunion.com/business/press-releases/article/US-Drug-Watchdog-Now-Urges-Family-Members-of-3446410.php

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In this month's JBJS...
    http://jbjs.org/article.aspx?articleid=1106112
    Background:

Dissociation of the polyethylene liner from the acetabular shell is an uncommon event. Offset, face-changing polyethylene liners theoretically increase femoral head coverage, allow for larger heads with smaller cup diameters, and offer improved stability without risk of impingement. However, we present four cases of liner dissociations from the acetabular shell that necessitated revision hip surgery.
    Methods:

Four patients with spontaneous dissociations of offset, face-changing polyethylene acetabular liners underwent revision hip arthroplasty between January 2007 and June 2010. All patients were women with an average age of fifty-three years. All cases involved the combination of a Pinnacle acetabular component with an offset, face-changing polyethylene liner. We reviewed the presenting signs and symptoms associated with liner dissociations and analyzed the radiographs for the acetabular component position.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We have had six neutral liners disassociate in last 12 months in the San Jose area.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That may be a problem.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Had my big surgeon switch to the Zimmer piece of crap Corail copy this week because of this issue. I am ready to jump off a bridge I am so pissed off!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No one here believes you are a DePuy rep.
    "I am ready to jump off bridge" kind of gave it away.

Please don't ever interview with any respectable ortho company. You will be wasting both of our time.

Thank You.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why would the pinnacle have almost 12 spots for anti-rotation tabs on the cup but only put 6 on the liner? They are did so well with Ultamet and are obviously doing awesome with poly liners. Im sure the new ceramic on ceramic will be an absolute hit!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is for the lipped and 10deg liners. It's the difference between 30deg and 60deg rotational changes. The tabs are not what lock the poly to the cup they just keep it rotationally stable.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Pinnacle dis.

For all reps go to the following database.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfMAUDE/TextSearch.cfm

Search: disassociation Depuy

Go through year by year. In 2013 there are 90 plus records for Depuy disassociation. Most are pinnacle. There are a few other products mixed in as well.

I understand its not a sales tool. But if you search for just disassociation. Only a couple of other company cups come up. The attorneys will figure this out soon. Pinnacle will be known for mom problems as well as poly problems!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

but 6 wont resist rotational forces as well as 12. And since it HXPE its not as strong. Thats why most of the disassociations have broken antirotation tabs as well. Not to mention pinnacle has one of the lowest push-out and lever-out strengths of any cup on the market. Its just a perfect storm for them.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For some odd reason, I do not believe you are a 'competitive rep'.
    Just my gut.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pinnacle metal on metal has a 19.9% revision rate at 9 years in the new UK joint registry.

Nothing to worry about though right.

It's just shitty docs that can't put them in right.

The design surgeons don't seem to have those kinda problems..........

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey - you got the number wrong - it's only 19.89% failure at 9 years!

The great news is that the 9 year revision rate for Corail with Pinnacle, a metal head and a poly liner is 2.62%

That's the one I sell and that is a GREAT number. I thought just liner dissociations would have been worse than 2.62% so I'm pretty happy with that.