Manager harassment

Discussion in 'Bristol-Myers Squibb' started by Anonymous, Mar 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What do you do if you think you've been harassed by your manager? Can you go to hr or does that make you a bigger target?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First question: What type of harrassment?
    Second Question: Do you have proof other than he said/she said?
    Third Question: Have you asked the manager to stop harrassing you?

The very sad part about this is the realization that HR is not there to help you and managers typically are heavily protected and seem to get away with so much liability. The job of HR is to quiet you down and then to minimize your complaint.

The role of managers are to protect each other regardless because it would make a regional or other senior director look bad. Management by nature, are schemers and are very clever in navigating themselves to positions of power and influence. Pharma has annointed far too many sociopaths to the point that the industry is toxic.

You will also deal with two-faced colleagues who confide in you privately but refuse to get involved or talk about you negatively in public.

The other sad fact is that if and when you do speak up, you had better prepare for retaliation because it will happen no matter what people say. HR or your manager will find a way to fire you by micromanaging and analyzing your expense reports, gas logs, mileage logs, call activity, sampling activity, cell phone logs, performance reports, negative field ride-along reports. They will even go as far as interview customers about your behaviors. HR's job is to then use their discovery against you, no matter how petty, and if you decide to proceed with a formal complaint, HR and management will turn it around and make it look like you are the real problem.

Many times the losses from speaking up significantly outweigh the benefits unless you truly believe in principle or have a high level of integrity and self-respect. In this case, secretly collect all the evidence you need and trust no one.

My suggestion is: Start looking for another job, or ask for a transfer to another district. If that doesnt work and the harrassment continues, contact an attorney.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As prior poster, your chances are slim. Unless others have had similar issues with this manager and reported to HR, you really are creating a mess for yourself. By the way, I am currently a DBM here. The manager may be moving on, but they may be there years as well.

If you can collect any kind of hard evidence and talk to an employment attorney, I would do that first. HR would be my last resort unfortunately.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's not harassment, that's leadership......BMS style.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes he has been harrassing me, asking me to put peanut brittle on my face

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HR is there to protect ALL persons within BMS. In the event you do not receive the response you want from HR (assuming you have evidence on the harassment), you can go to the corporate ombudsman. They are there to help all in the event HR does not provide adequate help.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh yeah! Nice try HR. It is a fact HR reads this regularly, but I never knew they posted. I trust HR as much as I can throw a battleship. The ombudsman is worthless.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

DON'T ever trust anyone who says you can go to HR to help resolve issues. BMS doesn't want to deal with any HR issues, because they have bigger fish to fry. The accuser has always been terminated as they are see as troublemakers!!!! DON'T trust HR or the ombudsman!!!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Collect evidence, whether is written documentation or a recording. Then consult an attorney.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is HR. You can safely and secretly bring any issue to us. We are here to help you, especially reps. We know you are our most valuable asset.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just go upside that head with a size 10 1/2 "Attitude Adjustment Tool ". Works every time....

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do not go to HR. I was part of an hr investigation with a current manager and they did not help AT ALL. They didn't listen to the unethical things this manager was doing (we had a laundry list). All they did was have a meeting and make everyone feel uncomfortable. This manager is still with the company and several people have left my team. My advice, look for a new job. Bms does not care about their people and will not go to bat for you.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amen

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do not go to HR. Very dangerous. HR at BMS is not like HR might be at other companies. They will turn it around on you very quickly. I had a very bad experience. I was being pushed to do very questionable unethical things but when I said something I ended up being investigated myself. Gather the facts, take notes, keep emails and voicemails etc. And then go to a lawyer. Or just live with it.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fact about HR.

They exist to protect the CORPORATION from employee problems, NOT the employee.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's my HR horror story: I received a call from HR once when I was a DBM. They wanted to do a "check in" with the managers reporting to a specific RBD/VP. I was one of the RBDs top managers and in good standing. The RBD had a rotten reputation among the managers and I had dodged being his target. I returned the call and was hit with a lot of questions about harassment. I told them I had never experienced any so they kept pushing me and asked if I could "imagine him doing that to someone" I made the mistake of admitting that I could definitly imagine him being that way and confirmed I had heard stories.

That was the beginning of the end. The attacks began. I was a dead man walking and my life became a living hell. A year of harrassment later he told me he knew what I had said and that he had requested the call to see if I was in his camp or not. He took every chance to question everything I did and he would document my successes as though they were failures. When no one else was around He would tell me I wasn't worth a shxx and that he was going to replace me with a new manager. He would call my reps to find out what I was saying about him. He would publically humiliate me in front of the other managers. In the meant time he had a couple of sexual harassment claims made against him. HR swept it under the rug as fast as they could, further enabling this monster. I am no longer with BMS and soon after I left the RBD left -only because they eliminated the VP status of him and the few other RBDs who had been promoted to that level. He refused the demotion and resigned.

In the end that call with HR started a chain reaction of events that I want to forget. If you want my advice you better not go to HR for help. With friends like that who needs enemies.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ditto to the post above. I am a DBM, formerly BMS at another company. My RBD screwed me for calling him to task on some things. From that day forward I knew I was a goner at BMS. If you are a rep, be VERY careful going after your DBM, because if HR doesn't screw you and leave you hanging (99% certain), your DBM will get you.

If you have real harassment, you need at least one other rep who will go to the wall with you. Nearly impossible to find, unless your DBM is a true asshole, which I knew many of during my years at BMS.

Good luck, I would talk to an employment attorney first, it's worth a few hundred dollars to see if there is anything you can do.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HR protects the company and its physical assets. RBDs and DBMs protect themselves and their jobs. "We're all at will employees." (T.L.) As a rep, all you can do is the best you can do. No one is there to protect you. Deliver your metrics and don't attract any attention to yourself, and by all means don't attempt to divert attention from yourself by targeting someone else. Then, you would be just another rat like them.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have to call Christin Cummings in the home office. She is in corportate compliance.
    You must have a real complaint. Each manager that was terminated against the RBD objections came from that office. There is no protection, no hr "losing" your complaint, or working with the RBD to squash or ignore the issue. Remember, have proof, and have a list
    of other represenatives, with names that can varify an offense. This is for real issues, not grudges.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's not quite as easy as you make it sound, even for legitimate issues. Be ready for a long haul and a vindictive DBM.