Shire is intolerant of people with ADHD who work there.

Discussion in 'Shire' started by Anonymous, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:01 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have ADHD. It had never been a problem on the job that is until I worked for Shire in their Chesterbrook offices. I was a contractor, and although not a Shire FTE, I gave it my all and then some. When I first got onboard I was constantly asked if I thought I would stay because as my supervisor put it, I was doing a fantastic job. At first I thought the situation ironic. Here I am working for the company that makes my ADHD med. - Vyvanse.
    Since I was now a contractor I was paying close to 400 dollars a month for a 30 day supply of Vyvanse. I would take the med in the morning and it lasted well past the end of the work day. After a few months it became apparent that I couldn’t foot the bill out of pocket for the drug. I stopped taking it because I just couldn’t afford it. My troubles then started at work. Late assignments, missed deadlines etc. All entirely my fault and no one else’s.
    My supervisor brought me in to her office to find out what was going on since up to that point I was doing great. I wrestled with decision beforehand whether or not to tell her that I had ADHD, and was currently looking for something that I could afford. I thought maybe I would get a break because of my past excellent performance. I decided to tell her that I did have ADHD and that I was currently off meds, but was taking steps to correct the issue. Normally I would never disclose having ADHD since it had never been an issue on the job while medicated. I thought this because; they made ADHD drugs here at Shire. Maybe my supervisor would understand?
    It turned out to be the stupidest thing I have ever done. I got on generic Adderall XR which seemed to do the trick to a point. It just doesn’t have the efficacy for me that Vyvanse does. My performance went back to where it was though and I thought the issue at work was behind me. As time went on I began to notice that my supervisor hardly spoke to me anymore and that my assignments were being routed to the other contractor that I worked with.
    I went from top dog; to the dog’s business. I was let go last month on a Friday with the missive that I was being given 2 weeks because of my past performance, and that I would have to turn everything over to another contractor in my group. I was in charge of too many things and just letting me go that day would cause a major disruption of work since my replacement was clueless. But I did learn a valuable lesson. To never disclose that you have a medical condition on the job. I’m not bitter as I write this. I just wanted to share what really goes on at the company who ‘REALLY’ wants to help those with ADD/ADHD. Yeah….my pale white ass they do. The celebration over 1 billion USD in sales last year elicited more empathy, trust me on that one. The celebration in the bridge at Chesterbrook reminded me of a shark’s feeding frenzy. Just stay out of fat women’s way near the buffet tables is all I have to say on that.
    On my way out the door in my last 2 weeks there I found out that a number of folks with ADD/ADHD ranging from Admins to Sales force had been shown the door for ADD/ADHD related issues.
    Shire Pharmaceuticals really is the last bastion of conformity. Be different, look different, you’re screwed.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know numerous people employed by the company who are treated for ADHD and they all still work here or left of their own accord. Can't say my experience supports your outcome.

What dose of Vvyanse were you on? Because I've priced it and haven't found it anywhere near the price you were paying.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is it possible that you had a comorbid condition? I would as a professional if you are lame.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, it's only around $140-$150 for a 30 day supply.

5. Jim Edwards

Jim Edwards Guest

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

even at BID it wouldn't be 400/m lol..another fake trool post

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

*troll

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fake troll post? Uh huh. Think what you want. I'm not a pharmaceutical professional. My background is in IT. I could give a crap about sales and other stuff folks write about on here. As for paying out of pocket, I stand by what I wrote. I went to different pharmacies in Chester county trying to get cheaper prices for Vyvanse. I was on 70 mg taken once a day.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is just no way at all you were paying $400 per month for a 30 capsule supply of Vyvanse. It wouldn't matter what mg dose you were on because all strengths cost the same and its usually somewhere between $130-$160. Generic Adderall XR is more expensive than Vyvanse anyway. Clearly this makes no sense. Either you are making this up or the pharmacy you were going to was ripping you off!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The dose was twice daily. Yes the price was exorbitant. Pharmacies counted my script as 2 separate prescriptions, hence the price.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We have a coupon for that. You can save 50% off every single month through December! Lucky you! So even though I think this post is a total joke, instead of paying $400 (impossible) you can now pay $200.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think Shire is a joke. Apparently other people do as well. Take your coupon and shove it pal.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why would I take my coupon and shove it? That coupon could save that fake made up person and their fake made up post $200 per month. That isn't a joke.
    And one other person on this post thinks Shire is a joke, but that doesn't really count since it's made up... so I guess it's just you.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the OP:

YOu were a contractor. Contractors are easily disposed of if they are not performing. You were not performing. Plain and simple. All this BS about your medical condition is just a smokescreen. The fact that you bring it up leads me to beleive that you are not facing your own performance issues. LEt's suffice it to say that contractors are only as good as their latest deliverables, and are on the spot every day. YOu did not perform, your contract was terminated. Plain and simple.

Now a word about how you dealt with this situation:

NEVER discuss your personal business. NO ONE CARES. As a contractor you are hired to do a job. Your hiring manager dependes upon you to produce. PEriod. The introduce of your personal lproblems does not interest a hiring manager. SOunds cruel, but it is a fact of life. PRoduce or be fired. As a contractor, you know this. Stop hiding behind your condition. EVERYONE comes to work with baggage. We all leave it at the door when we walk in. Learn from this.

For the future:

As a contractor be productive and make sure you are medicated if you need medication. NO ONE CARES whether you have ADHD or a terminal illness. PRODUCE or BE LET GO.

Stop whining and good luck in the future.

-Former Shire manager who hired and fired contractors appropriately and according to the contract terms.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

TO ALL: It should be known that employees with mental illness/ disability are seen are worse then people with physical illness/ disability. If you truly have ADD/ADHD you should NEVER admit it publicly.
    1-Anyone you divulge that information to WILL look at you different and perhaps lower your work load or have less trust in your abilities.
    2- The meds for ADD/ADHD are SHADDY and i'm positive no one knows this more than shire.
    3- Also these meds are ENHANCERS, a boss can feel threatened by Medicated superiority ( as in you could end up replacing them or be on a fast track to promotion.

Bottom line- treat it like a secret you take to your grave.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not sure about ADHD, but Shire is apparently big into hiring people with inflated ego disorders, anger management issues and out-of-touch-with reality personas. If you have any or all of these, you will be promoted at least 1x/yr.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree!!!!!!!! Alot of the reps are running around like this also!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is total BS. No way Vyvanse cost $400 sorry loser. You were fired because you suck at your job. Stop blaming ADHD for your own ineptitude.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You waited 3 years to post that? I work for another company now and make a lot more money. If you keep this up I'll never tell you who you're real parents are.

Something must have bothered you to drag this up again? Proof positive that Shire is a shitty company perhaps?

Signed

The ADHD Guy - who's banging your mom!