Recruiter Here With A Question About Applied?

Discussion in 'Applied Medical' started by Anonymous, Jun 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I represent several of Applied's competitors, but obviously I can't say who. I seldom come to this blog, but I figured just maybe I can get a real feel for what's going on at your company. So, what is going on at Applied? Myself, and other recruiters have been literally inundated with resumes from Applied reps. I hear the same complaints over and over, i.e. a horrible, horrible commission/bonus plan, very unrealistic sales expectations, poor management and micromanagement. Let me say also, I have spoke with recruiters from other agencies, and they tell me the same thing! It also seems to be widespread. I have also spoken with former Applied managers, who give me the impression that Applied is nothing more than a "training ground" for other companies.

The candidates that I have processed were all first class, so I am even more puzzled as to what is really happening there. One last thing, I have also had a relationship with Applied. If the company is really that bad, I would not feel right in referring candidates in the future.

Thanks for the replies.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Full disclosure: former rep here. You hit the nail on the head with everything mentioned above. For me, the 2 biggest reasons for leaving were terrible/unrealistic/irratic comp plan (one qtr I made 15k doing what was asked of me, then the next qtr I made $1,000 when I busted my ass), and micromanagement. I was Presidents Club/top performer for about 1/2 of my career, yet my manager treated me like a 21 y/o right out of college. My territory had been pretty inundated w/ Applied reps over the past 5-7 yrs and the hospitals were tired of the turnover of reps/lack of representation. The dr's predominantly hated/tolerated Applied's products. MM/Purchasing was sick of mgmt shoving their corporate vomit down their throats and the "my u know what doesnt stink" attitude. It's trocars, hand assist & retrieval bags people. Not rocket science, yet the managers don't understand why every customer hasn't fallen in love with their mediocre products. I could go on and on but you get the idea. Oh yeah, don't forget about the 401k!!!!!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your comment about Applied being a "training ground for other companies" is absolutely correct! The comp plan, and I have compared it to several key competitors, is beyond horrible. Great quarter one time, horrible the next. No consistency with your income at all. Nobody ever could make sense of how the goals were arrived at. Everyone knows you stay for a couple of years, then you start looking to leave. My manager was OK, and I think that he understood just how unfair the plan was, but he had to do what he had to do.

I have started looking elsewhere. If you really have the best interest of your candidates at heart, tell them up front what to expect, that this is not a place to stay for a career. Make sure they understand that so they know what they are getting into.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I still don't understand why after all these years, nothing has changed at Applied? I know the managers read this board. It's like they just don't care. Rep retention, comp plan, career growth, is all irrelevant to them. If they truly cared, they would have made the necessary changes by now. The "Old Boys" club of prior US Surgical managers goes to show you why nothing will ever change here. Remember, respect is EARNED, not just given.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Applied is nothing more than a training ground to move on to other company. I lasted 2 years then I left when I realized what the situation was, and it as not going to change. My new company gave me a MUCH higher base and a comp plan that puts Applied's to shame. Most companies want reps to stay and build relationships with docs/hospitals, but not Applied. Even my manager wouldn't say anything positive about Applied. Do your candidates a favor and NOT refer them to Applied, unless they are absolutely desperate.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are not doing your job candidates any favors by sending them to interview for openings at Applied. They will work their ass off for a low base, and a bonus plan that defies imagination. Applied has this reputation of being a third class company amongst our competitors. Hopefully, if things work out, I will be gone by the end of the year. I had really hoped things were going to be different, but unfortunately it wasn't.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Applied only works with a small handful of recruiters because, like their management team, they want to "keep it in the family." The whole world knows what kind of junk status company Applied is, and by risking going outside their comfort zone and using recruiters that wont talk positively about them, they risk noone ever coming onboard.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unfortunately, this thread says it all about how Applied treats and deals with their salesforce. The question is, do they simply not care, or are they just cheap, or both?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They don't care. Not only the sales force but everyone gets below average income, agreements with the original investors are not honored, etc. They know that the compensation plans are unreasonable and are obviously aware of the turnover rate. However, that did not prevent the company from growing and taking a huge market share (#1 in trocars) from competitors basing their competitive advantage on prices. The formula is simple, produce commodity products and compete on price. Do you really care about which brand of gasoline you get?. As a me-too/commodity company retaining top talent is irrelevant, growth (economy of scale) and costs are the driving forces. There are advantages in hiring young and naive team members. They are inexpensive, generally do not have families yet (lower health care costs, lower absenteeism, willing to work longer hours) and they don't know better or have a reference point to compare Applied with other organizations. You are a human "resource" and the company business model requires to get them as cheap as possible. There is a line of young college grads waiting to get the chance to get into this field so the supply side of the equation outweighs the demand and they know it.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the recruiter asking the original question, the above comment is 100% true. Also, I know you make money on candidates that are placed, but for the love of God, don't send anyone here! 90% or more of us are trying like hell to leave, and I can assure you management could care less. The comments about Applied being a "training ground" to get a little experience and move on, says it all. My DM is a good person, but you can tell that this person would leave in a nanosecond if they could!

You can ask reps with other companies what they think of Applied, and they all will use phrases like "3rd rate", "cheap", or "I've heard you guys have the worst comp plan in the device industry".

I simply don't understand a company philosophy that treatments their salesforce like Applied does.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's very simple to understand, they really don't give a rat's ass about their people. Simple as that.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I predict that one of the next comments will be that " it's only a handful of disgruntled or fired reps that post the negative comments on this board" followed by a rant of cuss words or a waa waa waa if you don't like it leave. LOL

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the recruiter that started this thread. I think you have a good picture about Applied. The "training ground" comments are 100% accurate. The comp plan is so bad that it's not worth discussing. I left awhile back for a much better deal all the way around. My friends still at Applied are trying like hell to leave. Like someone on here said, the real question is why doesn't Applied care to be competitive in the industry in terms of their comp plan/salary, etc.

Good luck to all those left at this miserable company. I hope you find a way out soon.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm curious why someone who is in management here doesn't respond in a professional/honest/non-Kool Aid drinking manner. Surely someone must care. Or is it because the payscale is so skewed that those in management are content with their Cush $160-190k/yr job working 20 hrs/week while everyone else is struggling to pay bills. Anyone want to defend the stock options some of you are sitting on while Said refuses to sell this company to pay back the venture capitalists? I'm dying to hear.....

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Two former Applied Reps, one now an Ethicon Rep and the other a Covidien Rep is sharing a prison cell with a new Applied Rep fresh out of training. The Covidien Rep standing on the side of the Ethicon Rep looks at the Applied Rep standing uneasily on the opposite side of the cell, smiles at the Ethicon Rep and says, "Money is gonna be tight for a while! "

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Applied does not care about their sales force. Said comes in on the first day of training and delivers a 30 minute hyperbolic diatribe.
    Applied ONLY cares about their products that line the pockets of a few individuals. With a constant increase of sales, with a constant turnover in sales people; THAT, in and of itself PROVES their sales model. The produce can basically sell itself.
    They can say whatever they want in response. If Applied was so great, in compensating their salesforce, why the constant turnover?
    They lie and promise.
    Very Happy now be working for a TRUE Medical device Company that Appreciates their sales force and compensates them; and its NOT applied.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nothing new here. With the loss of business occurring across the country, it wouldn't surprise me if Applied's senior mgmt team throws in the towel and finally sells in the next few years. Voyant has been/will be a disaster and it would be in Applied's best interest to cut their losses and just sell the company.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for your opinion. But why would the management team throw in the towel when they've been so successful for the last 20+ years?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How has business been the last few years and why are so many people leaving Applied?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't get so defensive sir. Just accept the fact you work for a company that sells primarily commodities (trocars, clip appliers, graspers, ureteral sheeths and scissors) I'm not here to talk about the bad comp plan, weak reps, high turnover or bad management. Face it sir, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Don't worry, be happy!