No More Promotions!

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jul 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Post #19 is excellent; that person totally gets it !

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You got it...the company if it had its way would be to lay off 90 % of the reps. replace with cheap CSO sales force (salary 40K with $10K bonus) and be done having to manage its current army of reps with all their expense and baggage....silly titles and promotions have only added to expense..this is an entry level or 2nd step (after working at the mall retail) at best job...

Quit worrying about what the company is going to do (they aren't worried about you) and start thinking about what you're going to do..Start looking for something new? or Shutup, accept the job for what it is..that's it..ain't no middle ground..

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

40K plus 10K.............hmm might be food stamp eligible too!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did you just get out of the new CTL Training? you have a nice mgmt style....yes that was said sarcastically...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Keep this in mind - you need to produce and accomplish something to even deserve a promotion- the vast number of you chronic complainers have done nothing to deserve even a thank you. Now I do have an opportunity for those of you that have been terminated. A new business start-up - applicants must be female,less then 90 pounds, have no record of success and willing to work no more than 50 minutes per day. The new business is called - Fat Butts Lunch Service - apply before all openings are gone

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Barbie here, eye am in. Are you offering a job share position for that 50 minute per day job? Can I use my eye pad for personal use? Do I still get a company kar too use? Cannot waite to get this tiep of job. Thank you.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let's all face it. This entire industry is dying a slow and painful death. Everything has changed so much that we are not needed in any of the ways that we used to be needed. Unfortunately, I remember the good old days. Here is the way I look at it.

Over 15 years = pension management. Stick around if you can, at least until ours changes, because no one else in any industry is going to give you any kind of a pension. If you are lucky and old enough, you may reach bridging age and get out with a decent amount (but that is a moving target, also).

Under 15 years = Probably making good money, but you really should be looking for something else. This isn't going to last much longer. Go specialty with a smaller company or into something completely different.

Under 10 years = Run like the wind!!! You have absolutely nothing to lose and the rest of you life to gain. Get into something with longevity now while you are young enough to make a career of it. Go back to school if you have to, start a business, do anything but this. If you must do something in the medical arena, do Derm., or something aesthetic where people are paying cash money and the government can't put their grubby paws into it.

Good luck to everyone!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think to many of you people have been employed at Merck to long or you are just ignorant to the world around you.

If you are laid off from Merck there are plenty of other sales jobs in and out of the pharma industry. I realize there are many reps that had managed to attain 100K base salaries and that may be difficult to initially duplicate but you will have no problem finding a job making a 75 to 85K base with another 25-35K bonus.

CSO companies pay 65K plus bonus and car. Not quite what your making now but livable till you find something else.

Depending on how old you are and what your goals are you will be fine. Don't let fear cause you stress. I realize it's tough to accept change but you will be fine.

The pharma industry is undergoing change, where its goes is the subject of much debate. As long as there are competitive products and companies there will be a need for sales people. Don't pay attention to the morons at HQ that have always been jealous of sales people. They rant about how meaningless the job is and how reps do nothing. It's the same trash I have heard in other industries but it's not true. Reps don't have the same influence today they did 20 years ago and that will probably lessen in the future. However, there is still opportunity for influence and there WILL be reps. Some companies with try CSO but will ultimately abandon the cause because they don't get the same level of commitment. CSO will always be around but so will the company reps. So if you want to remain in this industry you will be able to. If you don't care about the industry and want to maximize your earning potential, you probably should look to something else. What many don't stop to think about is that Merck (and other pharma co.'s) need to hire someone with a degree, someone who is smart enough to effectively converse with physicians and who can remain compliant with the regulations. You will have to pay this type person a decent amount of money because there are many other companies that will. It's the law of supply and demand in a free market economy. You have choices. You are empowered. Take control of your life.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Staying aboard is like not wanting to get into the lifeboats because they just brought out the all you can eat buffet on the Titanic....everyone knows they should be doing something but its just so darn comfortable and easy living here.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good One!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Already a victim of that. Asked to manage a team at HQ but as a P2....so stupid.