Johnson & Johnson to Seek Buyer for Cordis Medical-Device Unit

Discussion in 'Johnson & Johnson' started by Anonymous, Aug 29, 2014 at 8:35 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Division Could Fetch as Much as $2 Billion in a Sale

Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), the world’s biggest maker of health-care products, is exploring a sale of its Cordis unit, which pioneered the market for drug-coated heart stents, a person with knowledge of the matter said.

The division, which sells products including catheters and stents, may fetch as much as $2 billion, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. The process is in the early stages, the person said.

The medical-devices business, which includes Cordis, is J&J’s second-biggest behind pharmaceuticals and showed the weakest growth in the second quarter. Revenue at the unit rose less than 1 percent to $7.24 billion, according to a statement July 15, as total sales climbed 9 percent to $19.5 billion. About three years ago, after losing ground to rivals, Cordis said it would abandon the market for drug-coated heart stents and focus on other products.

A spokeswoman for J&J, based in New Brunswick, New Jersey, declined to comment.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-28/johnson-johnson-said-exploring-sale-of-cordis-devices-business.html

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RIP Cordis. You were a shining star for a brief, glorious moment and then you became a dumpster fire of a company. I will always remember the good times.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My goodness, I remember when J&J bought Cordis back in the late '90s. Through sheer hubris, senior management quickly alienated Cordis customers -- major GPOs couldn't wait to cut the cord. It's been downhill since.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Case study in how to run a company into the ground.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This company can not get out of its own way. They have layers upon layers of upper management figure heads and far too many 20+ year employees that refuse to believe that the game has changed.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So typical of JnJ, put layers of dysfunctional management to keep the buddies in any managerial post!