Contrave from a ptns point of view

Discussion in 'Takeda' started by Anonymous, Nov 9, 2014 at 8:04 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The seizure risk is associated with high dose of Wellbutrin (more than 450 mg daily) not with Contrave. Even if you take to many pills, according to those studies, there is only a .4% chance of a seizure.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Went to a weight loss conference, every HCP there express their frustration with the drugs they had to use before Contrave's approval the biggest gripe BELVIQ...patients just didn't lose weight. Contrave by far seems to work the best..

Just what was being said.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When you do decide to get off Contrave (I'm trying for another pregnancy mid year) do I titrate off like i titrated up at the beginning?

Honest answers please guys. I don't care about the 0.4% or whatever chance of seizures (with any drug). I had a higher probability of getting in a fatal car crash this morning when I went to get my coffee.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, you should titrate off the drug.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The escalation dose is for the nausea. You can try DC'ing the drug abruptly to see how you respond.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We have no idea, just stop it. If you get sick, go to hospital

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

^^BS. If you experience some side effects call your doctor and they will instruct you how to get off. Docs know Wellbutrin very well and now to work with it.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

According it the PI, there is no direction as to how you should stop taking contrave. There is no warning like Q has for abrupt withdrawal causing seizures.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, the pi just states if you eat a high fat meat it potentials the risk of seizures. People with no history of seizures were having them in the Contrave trials. Again, Q only needs to be totrated at the top dose to one, that's QD pill every other day for a week. To dat, unlike Contrave there had not been ANY seizures associated with Q. Compare the 2 meds safety. Q offers 2-3x the efficacy with better tolerability and AE.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fat meals potentiate the risk of seizures. Chances are, an obese patient will consume high fat meals which increases the bioavailability of bup.. Real world risk. Being that % of all Q patients are able to get about double the weight loss than C, ever having to come off the top dose is very rare. We have made out target drs aware of this. You all conveniently forget to mention all the warnings, drs love to hear about them, they just get annoyed they don't hear about them from you.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's what you don't get; THEY DON'T WANT TO EAT A FAT MEAL because the drug works THAT GOOD....AND
    Physicians know this (yes we tell them); They instruct the patient to avoid eating so many grams of fat in one day.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is no down titration to get off Contrave. That is Qsymia. The seizure risk is about people who have history of seizures. This drug is eating the competition's lunch. The only competition in this space is amphetamines and the new Novo drug (talk about nausea)

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This drug works that good? It didn't meet any of the FDA main efficacy criteria and only 2-4 secondary. It shows 3-4% better than nothing at all. Worst of the 3 meds fir efficacy. In your studies it stated patients without a history of seizures had seizures.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here is a trick to get a free Contrave.

1. Ask your doctor to get some samples.. They will give it to you without charging.. (if they have)
    2. once your Rx in mail-in order, call that 800# and complain to them that you didn't get your medication yet.. They will waive any co-pay's free for next few months..
    3. After few weeks later, go back to you dr and ask them that you didn't take Contrave because you lost those samples.. They will give you another set of samples, so that they can shut you off..

Practically, you will get your medications for free at least few months...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If that doesn't work, just ask for generic Wellbutrin and generic naltrexone. I did and dr rxed no problem.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lol and what dose of each did the dr prescribe, how many times a day and how much did it cost you?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is incredible that doctors have so much experience with refills of C they would notice it's better. I found it more amazing that doctors aren't saying a word about nausea, in your conversation's. In my territory - B doubled NbRX of C in the last rolling 4. So if my drug is ineffective and given I also am equally, why is C dropping? Seriously, so my B drug sucks, I'm incompetent and C rules with at least 2x more sales ppl with a drug in launch mode..how can that be? My Trx is 4x still of C. That flattening is also C-Trx trending DOWN! Nausea is not a MOA for weight loss...whoops maybe for C.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

C will be either 3rd or 4th choice. It's the least effective and most risk of the 4. It all 4 drugs are priced the same, it will end up 4th. It has absolutely 0 CLINICAL advantages over the other meds. To date, nobody on this site has been able to come up with one

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're right. Every Dr knows Wellbutrin doesn't cause weight loss. The reason the number of rxes are so small is, most pops shy away from any med like naltrexone because of the risks. Especially if the benefit us so small as in the case of Contrave.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

But we all know what activating POMC does. And activating POMC also activates the mu-opioid receptor that blocks POMC. So C has longer firing power of POMC then the other 2, which makes C better at suppressing appetite. And C is proven to reduce cravings, food consumption, increase metabolism and help with addiction. What does B and Q do besides make you go to your doctor for that 1 refill, which is the last one you get.