Tubal Ligation

Discussion in 'Intuitive Surgical' started by Anonymous, Oct 28, 2014 at 7:13 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are there any GYNs performing tubal ligation surgery with the robot? That's how I want mine done but I can't find anyone that's doing them.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

An Ohio State University study evaluating robotic tubal reversal vs abdominal tubal reversal discovered similar findings but also evaluated pregnancy outcomes. Robotic tubal reversal surgery, when compared to abdominal tubal reversal surgery, had longer operative times (201 minutes vs 155 minutes), marginal shorter hospital stays (24 hours compared to 34 hours), and with no noted differences in patients returning into activities of daily living. Pregnancy outcomes of robotic tubal reversal surgery patients were also compared to pregnancy outcome of abdominal incision tubal reversal patients. Approximately 65% of the robotic tubal reversal surgery patients became pregnant compared with 50% of the abdominal incision patients. Of the pregnancies, 6 abnormal pregnancies were in the robotic tubal reversal patients (4 ectopic and 2 miscarriage) and 2 were in the abdominal incision patients (1 ectopic and 1 miscarriage). Both surgeries were expensive and were found to cost in excess of $92,000. Robotic tubal surgery was slightly more costly than the abdominal incision tubal reversal costing 105500. Authors also found that most major heath care insurers will not cover this procedure.

Dharia Patel SP, Steinkampf MP, Whitten SJ, Malizia BA. Robotic Tubal Anastomosis: Surgical Technique and Cost Effectiveness. Fertil Steril. 2008 Oct;90(4):1175-9. PMID 18054354

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very expensive way to get your tubes tied.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Doesn't the best always cost more? All the newspapers say that robotic surgery is the most cutting edge, least invasive and that I will recover faster.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

go for it...

Product Liability Litigation - The Company is currently named as a defendant in approximately 93 individual product liability lawsuits filed in various state and federal courts by plaintiffs who allege that they or a family member underwent surgical procedures that utilized the da Vinci Surgical System.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great info- While you're at it, please provide her the same information for every item used during the procedure... the anesthesia machine, the anesthetic, the O.R. bed, the positioning devices, the surgeon, the hospital, the car that transports her to the hospital.

While I agree that tubal ligation w/ da Vinci may be overkill, but that's a discussion and decision between you and your doctor. You decide what's best for you, if you trust your doctor, and that's the road you take, good for you

I hope that you use info learn from an anonymous message board is only a small part of your decision of how to take care of yourself. You have no idea the motivations behind their replies (regardless of stated motivations- they're all here for you according to them, and no doubt that message will soon follow mine.)

Best of luck to you...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interesting thought. I worked for ISI for almost four years and in that time found that GYNs as a whole are not necessarily the most competent surgeons, much less robotically - their business is usually delivering babies, stitching or cauterizing something, with very few days in the actual OR. I would recommend that if you were going to seek out a robotic or very trusted laparascopic surgeon, that you ask how many procedures they've done, and what their failure rates are.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for all the responses. From what I've learned about tubal ligation, it sounds like one of the least complicated and technically challenging surgeries there is, so I'm not super worried about complications. I just want it done on the robot cause it's the the best way to get surgery.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Get an essure. Safer procedure oftentimes done in the Dr's office. Save yourself the co-pay involved in a hospital procedure and the 24 hours of recovery from the incisions as well as the anesthesia.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK, this might be the dumbest statement I have ever heard. Funny, it sounds like something my 9 year old would say. "I just want it done on the robot cause it's the the best way to get surgery." Sad, there is not a single piece of conclusive scientific data that says that.

There are positives and negatives to everything. But using a robot to tie your tubes is just stupid. Prostate Surgery? By a good robotic surgeon? Yes, good use for the robot.

Unless I'm missing something...How would the robot help for tubal ligations?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can they do the essure along with the robot? I only want a robotic tubal ligation.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't listen to anyone. What you want it a double robotic tubal ligation. Very few do it. You need to find a surgeon that can program a robot and then that robot will perform the surgery on the Da Vinci. Double robotic tubal ligation. It is the only way to go.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You realize this is a joke, right??!!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

squirrel sqat

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, I am totally serious. I need a robotic tubal ligation. I don't care how utterly absurd and wasteful using the robot on a 5 minute procedure would be, robot surgery is the best. All the newspapers and billboards say so.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had a tubal ligation and have suffered with severe ovary pain ever since. I am completely bedridden for the first 24 hours of every period. This surgery has ruined my life.

If you research this online, you will find that this complication is not uncommon.

Do not have a tubal ligation!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would believe this post if they would have included the key phrase " done with a Da Vinci ".
    Lots of tubals done w/o Da Vinci.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is robotic abortion an option?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What we need is a female sex robot... Instead of fucking people up with da vinci, Intutive can start fucking people for pleasure.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yup! Only at non-catholic hospitals, of course.