Foreign accent - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Daiichi-Sankyo' started by Anonymous, Sep 1, 2014 at 9:05 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm in the interview process for a sales rep position. I've done some sales before, and I have a Nursing degree, and while I can read and write English perfectly, I still have an accent. Is that likely to be perceived as a good thing or a bad thing for a sales rep?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What kind of accent?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Russian

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Shouldn't be a problem. You will outwit the Americans, most don't speak English all that fluently. All the best!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't worry about it. It will only be seen as an asset. Physicians will like it, so your potential hiring manager will like it. And if you'll be working anywhere in the New York City area, you'll probably have some Russian speakers in your territory. Good luck!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you have a russian accent and are searching for a job, you probably don't look so good. So no, it won't help you. Best of luck.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I get the humor and this made me laugh....although a douche comment. I'm a douche for laughing too...

I think an accent from anywhere is not a bad thing...IF the accent isn't too thick and hard to understand and if it doesn't distract from getting a sales message across. If your accent hasn't been an issue for you in the past, it shouldn't be an issue for you in sales...Good Luck!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks so much for your kind and helpful response.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good thing. People generally find foreign accents appealing. I have a slight accent, too. It's never been a problem.