Job Hunting Blues.

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jul 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks medreps dot com! Free ad for your far from free service!

Btw rarely do your jobs seem exclusive to you. With some good search agents I can find the same jobs.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where did you find that job?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just did a ton of networking (always have) and someone put me in contact with a recruiter looking to fill the position. I got the usual pharma rep rejection, but was very persistent and didn't back down. The biggest problem with the majority of people looking for jobs is expecting one to just show up on your lap. You can't just send resumes and expect phone calls back.

But don't listen to all the negativity on this board. This is the first time I have been on in about 8 months and I have seen it be a cancer to some friends.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am getting my unemployment check, just started this week. Just something to think about with the wording from Merck of "severance". I made quite a few phone calls about that "severance" check and turns out it is being taxed at the higher rate, like a bonus check vs the lower rate of income. It is termed "supplemental income" and not regular income, ergo you pay a higher tax rate. So if it is being recorded as "supplemental income" then is it really a severance?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Reported to UI as severance. They must be sent the paperwork. That put the brakes on my UI.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bogus! There is no 8 month unemployment.
    Max is 6 months and no time extensions.
    Things have changed!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

500 connections, not recommendations!

It is funny to see these linkedin profiles of people that are lazy and clueless: dynamic, business leader, bla, bla, bla...

Once you have the experience and ability, it just comes down to networking.

People that THINK they can sell get exposed so easily when they are faced with the reality that the pharma. gig was not really a sales job, that they rode the coat tails of the good sales reps. YOu know, the ones that actually detailed the product and followed up and asked good questions and moved product...

that I why I left this industry...to many lazy and untalented people to work with. find your own territory and stay there. NEVER move into a situation where you are team selling...it is the kiss of death.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nope. Just a medical device rep who used to be in pharma trying to be helpful.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good pointers. We over 50s need to appear young, energetic, and somewhat pliant for the younger and insecure managers out there.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spot on with the team sales comment. It is the kiss of death. If you are moved into a team situation you could be met by a resident python! You will become their prey. Hard to believe by the mild mannered but some reps will do every kind or low and underhanded thing imaginable all to get you out and off of what they consider their turf! Some will stop at nothing including damaging your career and reputation. Beware if you are the trusting type. These types may be anomalies....but they do exist.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very true but one look at a long resume can be too much on the young eyes and frightening on some of the mature eyes who seem worried about their own job stability. Once you've benchmarked a good number of interviews you can see the status of things early on.....

They say it's a numbers game. It's a click that you're looking for and it can take try and try again. A manager who is not so fragile or one who so horrible that they cant get past their own muck and mire. They need to want a capable person, not just a kindergartner who needs them 24/7 and won't even be a threat to their own job.......

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cubist Pharmaceuticals is hiring for many territories. A few of my friends are there and have good things to say about it.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't know what you're talking about. I said this was the first time I have been on this message board in about 8 months. Did you read what I posted?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been doing quite a bit with them and think they are great. Just took a few classes and have learned so much.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great service, but you need to be one of the layoff people who have a long package....like a year.

If you need to get back to work immediately you'll seed to skim it with them.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Year long severance going way of dodo bird in 2015. 26 week cap.

GLTA

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who cares of u assholes get a job. Losers!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

another helpful post by a child - they're so cute......

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Post above seem accurate. I am 51 with 23 years at Merck finishing in the top 10% or next 20% the majority of my career with a few middle buckets sprinkled in between.

Contract companies reply back with "your resume seems intriguing however, we are not granting you an interview".

I interviewed and managed contract reps during my career and most were eager but could never connect the dots.

I have concluded that "intriguing" is code for "too old", "too Merck" or "too Six Sigma BS".

Also no unemployment in my state because of severance. At least I filed so that the government's inaccurate unemployment numbers will count me for the first week.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Too expensive.