Age discrimination at BMS

Discussion in 'Bristol-Myers Squibb' started by Anonymous, Dec 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This wordsmith really got the best of that previous poster. Not.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Old people get their depends all bundled up if you call them old. It's elderly, not old.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Success is relative you asshole. It's not a black and white concept. While I agree that all age demographics pander to their DMs at BMS, my point is that that the social dynamic of a 60 year old man sucking the knee caps of a 40 year old manager is a pathetic sight. To you and the 2 douchebags that followed my first post, you really think you've gamed the system? You think you've come out ahead? Part time job or not you've been shackled by this company for 3 decades or more....incessant emails, metrics, POAs, "point responsibilities"...LOL ....your pensions and 401ks will help you stay on the golf course and probably financially edge some of your peers, but why not own the golf course?...$5MM, $10MM, or $30MM net worth? You are boring and you are ordinary. You are a dime a dozen, old dead head who is incapable of thinking big and there are so many like you at BMS. I know a rep who left this company in his 50s, but he was worth over $15MM due to brilliant investment and borrowing strategies. He is the one who really gamed the system and won.....I am in my early 30's and my net worth is in a stone's throw of $2 million because I've built an awesome business, which can't even be called a "side" business any longer. I am "relatively successful" and I won't be groveling to any 30 / 40 somethings when I'm 55+

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow!!! I'm impressed! Good for you!
    But you are very boring. Who cares?
    Why are you so obsessed with other people? Do they affect your success? Many people are not obsessed with money and have other priorities. You do your thing, they do theirs. Mind your own business. They, nor I, an old geezer too, don't give a rats ass what you think. We will walk away with a very comfortable, happy lives with very significant net worth. Life is way too short to chase money. Slow down, calm down, so you'll live long enough to enjoy your money.
    FYI I never groveled or kissed any one' s ass.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you think you'll be twenty-something forever? You and your attitude is embarrassing! Are your parents 30? Do they embarrass you? Did they drop you on your head? Did they do something wrong to you.....other than everything to keep you fed, s\clothed, housed, educated, etc. You're probably upset that they finally cut the cord.

If you think what you do is rocket science, then you're wrong....any idiot can do what you do.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The only scientist here is you apparently. You are very witty and intelligent. Attacking people with mindless, inapplicable "insults." A twenty something working here is doing more than you ever were at that age. Where were you at 25? Woodstock? Watching the moon landing? Discovering fossil fuels?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The grannies don't get it. They will pander as long as the gravy train runs on time. No drive. No determination. Just wrinkles where there were once dreams.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Working for BMS in Medical Affairs, asshole.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And delivering bagels in the am, lunch at noon and snacks at 3 is drive, hard work,
    And career building?
    Woodstock sure beat the hell out of your daily routine.
    But all insults aside, I do salute you for trying to glorify what you are doing as a career building exercise. It was once a respected profession until Pharma turned us into delivery people and caterers.
    Your anger and disdain for us geezers is due to your frustration and disdain for what you do.
    We geezers built this industry and brought it to the heights it reached until the decline started 10 yrs ago. You have the time to build outside businesses, we didn't. We worked 8-10 hrs a day vs the 10-2, Tuesday-Thursdays you young-uns "work" today. You are stealing from the company in time and effort. Direct your anger where it belongs.... BMS. Don't like working with us? Move on.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No liar, if you are old and work at BMS you do grovel and pander. It's so entrenched in your disposition that it's part of your anatomy....the stool softener clan doesn't affect my success, but I have witnessed their pathetic, sycophantic ways many times at POAs, in the field and on teleconferences. On far too many occasions, I have seen older reps witness something that they know is wrong or unethical and do / say nothing. I have observed numerous members of the pension club silent even in the face of peer bullying and non-compliance. You all make me sick and as a witness to this, I cannot mind my own business. Is it worth it?...Compromising your moral integrity for so many years (3 decades+) just for a little extra nectar in your meaningless retirement years?....cowards

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have got some real issues that go beyond hating older people.
    To respond to you, we learned long ago that if you want to get along, you need to go along.
    When is the last time you blew the whistle on a colleague or the company?
    Never is about right, isn't it.
    Get yourself some help before this obsession eats you up. We're her to stay. Get over it.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i love old people. one day i will be old and have a wrinkles and jelly rolls. i am ok with it. smile.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First of all I will say that I have a blown more than one whistle at BMS, and I know how gay that sounds so please interpret this metaphorically. Secondly, I don't think that I need a life coach or a psychiatrist in the form of you so shove it. Every once in a while the truth needs to prevail, and all you medifag, freeloading milkers need to be called out for what you are......leeches and cowards

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You bore me, sonny. You are so consumed by this crap that it's blinded you. Ponder this: if we geezers are making our numbers why should we bite the hand that feeds us? People like you....and believe me or not, in my early career I was very much like you in criticizing the bullshit, seeing ass kissers getting promoted over performers, listening to incompetent managers all the way to the top, spout their clueless BS, etc.

I went up the ladder and grew to hate the every day phoniness, lies, meetings that accomplished nothing, 10-12 hr days playing the game, etc. decided on my own to return to sales. My mentors who thrived in the system both up and down all had the same advice. Go along and you'll get along...and it worked for me and many others. You can't win a pissing contest with the company. Pharma is pharma. They continue to do business with the same model they used 30 yrs ago. SOS, different day.
    So, think what you want, do what you want, and I wish you well. Your career in pharma will be short, so plan career #2. We geezers will be just fine, we've won the game.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No company likes old employees.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Because we make too much money and we know the game.
    Job is not worth six figures anymore.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you look at the average age of the oncology reps who have come into the company with the last expansion and with our current expansion, it is obvious that age discrimination is a major problem at BMS. The average age of an oncology rep prior to all of these expansions was definitely higher than what it is now by a significant margin. I would love it if someone had the courage to actually take action on this, subpoena the company and create an argument. Plus from my observation, the reps who appear to be hassled and pushed out of the organization by their managers are overwhelmingly older reps.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

See above. All companies want to rid themselves of higher paid experienced people.
    Dumping them saves then big bucks with less payroll, benes, pensions, healthcare, etc.
    experience and contacts means very little in Pharma sales now, as insurance companies, Medicare, and Medicaid dictate to drs. Used to be over 40 and you're a target, now it's 30.
    It sucks, and someday, it will be realized that it takes a team of all ages to be successful.
    We all bring value to the organization. There is as much deadwood in the. 25-30 group as there is in the 50-55 group. There are also superstars in both.
    But, again, Pharma does not value the sales force like it used to; it's become a necessary evil to them. If they could, they would dump us all in a heartbeat, but we are necessary.
    If anyone under 50 expects to retire with BMS, think again.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This doesn't apply to SR - she will happily retire and ride off into the sunset with her girlfriend as they work the LPGA tour...

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oldest company in pharma. Dinosaurs.