Janssen Sales Rep College Hire..should i or shouldn't i?

Discussion in 'Janssen' started by helpmeimpoor, Feb 7, 2015 at 9:19 PM.

1. helpmeimpoor

helpmeimpoor new user

Hey guys,

I am a recent college graduate with a degree in biomedical science who had hopes of going off to grad school and getting into the medical field. While in school, I went through a serious case of burn out and decided to look into getting a job after graduation instead of heading off to grad school. I am not a traditional student. I am a little older than the typical graduate and had a career prior to returning to school. A few weeks prior to graduating, I applied to be a Janssen Sales rep. A day ago, I received an offer for a phone interview. BUT...I'm at a crossroad. After gaining somewhat of an idea of just how hard it is out there to get a job thats secure and actually pays well, the idea of grad school isn't looking so bad. I've read through a lot of the threads here, so I don't know if I expect anyone to tell me it's a great company to work for lol, but would I be a fool to give up the idea of grad school for this job at Janssen (should I get hired)? Has anyone gone through this "college hire" process? should I just run the other way? thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look for another company, preferably a start-up, where the culture would be better. Most of the stuff you read on here is rooted in truth. JBI has been taken over by complete idiots who are targeting and terminating anyone they perceive to be smarter than them. If you exhibit the smarts you seem to have you will eventually be run off.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A sales rep position is entry level and it is doubtful that you will get the visibility you need for promotion. For some odd reason our current management seems to be challenged to promote hire/promote people who are smarter than them. It was not not like that 20 to 30 years ago.
    I would suggest that you look for other opportunities since selling in big pharma is a very tactical job because of all the Health Care Compliance restrictions. It is my contention that you will become very bored with this position in very short period of time.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My suggestion would be to pursue it, get the customer facing experience while you can and improve your resume and makes decisions along the way. You don't sound like you plan to be a sales rep for the rest of your life, but getting experience "carrying the bag" is something everybody who wants to advance in the industry needs. Having sales experience on your resume -regardless of where you end up is always a positive. Making a career in pharm sales is out of the question for the majority of people, but with your degree, potential grad school interests and (likely) higher level of maturity based on your prior life experiences, why not. All it does is broader your options. Good luck

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What do you want to do in the medical field? Can you afford grad school? What will you be studying in grad school? What is your plan?

6. helpmeimpoor

helpmeimpoor new user

Thanks guys. I just don't want to get into something that I end up hating. I've heard good and bad things about the career, but after reading this forum, it seems there is more bad than good lol. I'm guess I should at least go on with the interview and see what happens.

7. helpmeimpoor

helpmeimpoor new user

Physician's assistant. As far as affording it...well, I don't know anyone who can lol. That's what student loans are for. ;)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Run the other way; you do not need the tremendous pressure and stress you will endure with any major pharma company. Believe me I did it for years and it was a waste of my life potential.

9. helpmeimpoor

helpmeimpoor new user

Do you guys think location plays a part or is it negative no matter where I go? The job is in the LA area.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, I would not waste my time trying to get into the pharmaceutical world. Do your 27 months, become a PA and find a specialty that interests you. You can get to know the pharma side by speaking for companies and going to their ad boards. It will give you a realistic view and help you make contacts. Then if you ever want to move over you can move over as a medical science liason or even get into marketing by networking that side from ad boards. This industry is not what it was even a decade ago and if you work for a J&J company you are NOT a salesperson. You are a marketing piece. That's why they hire Barbies and pay much less now.

11. helpmeimpoor

helpmeimpoor new user

Thank you. I wouldn't consider myself a salesperson by any means, but I'm very personable and good at breaking down science. I'm also male (not to brag, but attractive), but I don't know if looks would play a part as much as they would if I were female. I'll definitely keep what you said about the PA route in mind.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

YOu sound like a pretty good guy. Smart, too. I''l tell you another problem here: Not to brag, but I'm a good looking older male, in better shape than most of the males I work with, and (what hurts me them most) I have all my hair. This makes me an instant target for the younger managers (I'm a rep.) A couple of them have wives that have come on to me at company events and the men hate me for that, even though I did nothing deliberate to attract their wives attention (alcohol played a big part in their behavior.) Jealousy pervades this place, and the men are more like the proverbial gossipy catty women. Stay away.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Excellent point: jealousy. They are jealous of any legacy rep's salary, stock accumulation, vacation days, etc. Jealous like a bunch of kids....

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with both of you.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you're looking for a "break" from the books of school, this may be a great place for you. You can gain more insite into what the industry has to offer, make a decent living, make some good contacts and have the time to decide if/when you want to pursue your PA degree. Most things you read on here have some tinge of truth, but most are biased opinion. Janssen is a great organization to work for. Leadership comes and goes and there is nothing in this world which is perfect. Hopefully you wll have a good boss and a good drug to sell if you get hired. Good luck...

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow blind naivety is alive and well at Janssen! For future reference, all opinions are biased.

17. helpmeimpoor

helpmeimpoor new user

That's what I'm afraid of lol. Guess ill never know unless i give it a go for myself.

18. helpmeimpoor

helpmeimpoor new user

Just to update everyone...I had third and final interview. It was officially the worst interview of my life. It was online. The guys who interviewed me were not engaging and half the time one was looking across the room with a dumb look on his face as if his mind was on something else. I won't name him, but his initials are TC. I just couldn't wait for it to be over. They basically asked all the same questions that were asked during the second interview, so I'm not sure why it was even necessary. Oh well, I'm glad I had the opportunity to realize that this company isn't for me.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This company is not for anyone period.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When I started in this industry over 35 years ago I was so proud to tell people what I did. When family members and friends asked me to help them get their foot in the door I was always proud to do so. Today, I simply let them know that this industry is not what it was and in fact any young people looking to pursue this industry are really wasting their time. I will be retiring next year and while this has been great for my family and I, I am not really sure why anyone with talent would go into such a job.