When Amgen let's people go, do they pay them to jsut keep their mouth closed

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by Departures, May 4, 2011 at 9:17 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Departures

Departures Guest

I've seen it way to many times. People get let go from this company and you never truly hear what happened. You try to reach out to them and check on them but for some reason, it's like they no longer exist! Does Amgen have a talk with them and tell them not to talk to Amgen employees? Do they make a deal with them to not say anything? I just wonder. I just don't understand it! They must have a meeting with the ex-employee and HR and tell them to just keep it closed. Is it just me that thinks this or what has your experience been? It's like these people just fall off the face of the earth!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There's a reason and it's in writing. 'nuff said.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They make you sign a confidentiality agreement and give you money. They pay you to go away.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is the biggest crock of shit I have ever heard....they don't give you money. You have to sue them, and maybe they give you money, and then certainly confidentiality comes into play. They like to fuck you hard. Never understood it, never will, but know several different scenarios and every one of them was unecessary and silly if not cruel.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS. IF SOMEONE WAS LET GO, REACH OUT TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE PROBABLY HAVING A HARD TIME. Unbelievable. Trust me, they will talk if asked.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I couldn't agree more with reach out to those let go. It's an awful, lonely thing that can happen. I miss my colleagues.

Like Smokey said...

Now if there's a smile on my face
    It's only there trying to fool the public
    But when it comes down to fooling you
    Now honey that's quite a different subject
    But don't let my glad expression
    Give you the wrong impression
    Really I'm sad, oh I'm sadder than sad
    You're gone and I'm hurtin' so bad
    Like a clown I pretend to be glad

Now there's some sad things known to man
    But ain't too much sadder than
    The tears of a clown, when there's no one around
    Uh hum, oh yeah baby

Now if I appear to be carefree
    It's only to camouflage my sadness
    And honey to shield my pride I try
    To cover this hurt with a show of gladness
    But don't let my show convince you
    That I've been happy since you
    Decided to go, oh I need you so
    I'm hurt and I want you to know
    But for others I put on a show, ooh yeah

{repeat CHORUS}

Just like Pagliacci did
    I try to keep my surface hid
    Smiling in the public eye
    But in my lonely room I cry
    The tears of a clown
    When there's no one around, oh yeah, baby baby
    Now if there's a smile on my face
    Don't let my glad expression
    Give you the wrong impression
    Don't let this smile I wear
    Make you think that I don't care
    When really I'm sad…I’m hurting so bad……

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am sure it depends on the circumstances, but the one case with which I am familiar (cough, cough) Amgen paid hush money which limits contact and severely limits what can be discussed. Papers are signed. The documents even say you cannot acknowledge the existence of the agreement else the money has to be returned. The amount of payment is significant enough that most in this club don't want to jeopardize it and avoid all things Amgen, except the most cursory of discussions. Which, of course, is just what Amgen wants.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amgen gives slience money and thsi has been the case with many previous heads of regulatory stemming back the past dozen years on the order of magnitude of year of pay. Even Feigal is retained as a "consultant" on teh company payroll. This is really a stupid question.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maybe the post was made by HR to see who would default on their severance agreement (assuming such thing exists *smirk).

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No they don't pay them to keep their mouth closed! They let them go- treat them like dirt and don't respond to their emails or questions. They take prize money they earned away from them, benefits cease and they don't even give you a valid reason why you were fired. They only tell you why you were fired verbally from HR on a speaker phone- nothing in writing with no questions asked, and they won't copy your file except for signed documents. Your manager could be writing you up in emails for months and you are never copied on these emails. I have never seen anything like it!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So many have left just like the OP said, nothing heard from them again. This is typical of how problems are handled:

http://www.courts.ri.gov/workers/pdf/04-1364-Aug-06.pdf

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If your perceived as a threat they will offer you more money to sign a confidentiality agreement and call it severance. You don't have to sign it but if you want the money you have to sign it. And when you get fired you generally need some money so they kind of have you by the nuts. If you sign it then you basically cant even speak about them anymore and give up a lot of rights.