MSL's are overpaid and unnecessary

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by Anonymous, Feb 23, 2006 at 8:10 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

MSL\'s are overpaid and unnecessary

Sorry MSL's. There was a time when you guys were useful. Not anymore. You can barely talk out of label, and don't provide the value you once did. Since you are generally paid more than reps, your role is becoming more scrutinized, and likely becoming more dispensable.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: MSL\'s are overpaid and unnecessary

depends on what company you are talking about. I can talk about anything i want

3. Re: MSL\'s are overpaid and unnecessary

My company's MSL's are Great and very much valuable.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have to agree with the OP on this one. For a long time, MSL's were valuable, but they can say little more than us reps now. From what I understand, the scruity of MSL's is getting more and more intensified, and it appears that they will have to follow the same structure as the reps in the very near future.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    I have to agree with the OP on this one. For a long time, MSL's were valuable, but they can say little more than us reps now. From what I understand, the scruity of MSL's is getting more and more intensified, and it appears that they will have to follow the same structure as the reps in the very near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right, think again. As long as there is a defined wall between med affairs and sales then that won't happen. If anything the role of sales is shrinking. No one will see you at all except the nurses for lunch.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I completely agree with the last post. While you salepeople are bringing in pizza so you can get 2 minutes with the doctor as he picks up his slices - I'm sitting in his office with him during lunch for 45+ minutes. Oh yeah, did you know he brought me two slices of the pizza you brought in to the office? Thanks for the food!

MSLs are not of use? See, someone who makes this statement obviously doesn't know the true value of a good MSL. We're not there to detail your physicians. If your MSLs are doing only that - then they're useless. Watch a good MSL work his/her magic to promote physician and patient education, find investigators for new studies, design the new studies, find out about new potential drug targets. I bet you don't even understand all of these things, cause all you can do is bring in lunch and talk about the selling points your manager taught you.

See, a GOOD MSL lives by the golden rule - help physicians treat patients the best they can - and if the company has a good drug, then guess what? The company's drug has a role in treating patients the best way they can be treated. If you're pushing a crap drug just to line your pocket, then I'm sorry for you - you're hurting innocent people to fulfill your own greed.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yep. An MSL fills the void for high-science coustomers that sales can never fill. The bonus for sales is that they tend to be a local expert on the drug/disease state, rather than some vague faxback from New Jersey.

An MSL is more similar to what a sales rep was 20 years ago than the sales reps nowadays. When I describe the position to friends outside the medical field - they usually liken the position to a technical sales person in engineering... a highly trained professional who solves customer problems. Not such a bad analogy, I think.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep. An MSL fills the void for high-science coustomers that sales can never fill. The bonus for sales is that they tend to be a local expert on the drug/disease state, rather than some vague faxback from New Jersey.
    Keep pumping your egos, MSL's, you are dreaming if you think offices think of you as anything less than reps. Sometimes the MSL with "MD" behind their name does get taken more seriously, but the RPh's and Pharm D's are looked upon as "pharmacists who can't make the cut in academics"

An MSL is more similar to what a sales rep was 20 years ago than the sales reps nowadays. When I describe the position to friends outside the medical field - they usually liken the position to a technical sales person in engineering... a highly trained professional who solves customer problems. Not such a bad analogy, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Keep pumping your egos, MSL's, you are dreaming if you think offices think of you as anything less than reps. Sometimes the MSL with "MD" behind their name does get taken more seriously, but the RPh's and Pharm D's are looked upon as "pharmacists who can't make the cut in academics"

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oops..I meant if you think that offices think of you as anything MORE than a rep

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What company is looking for a MSL in NY

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There also may be a travel issue. Many small companies really put a strain on MSLs because of their large territories.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry MSL's. There was a time when you guys were useful. Not anymore. You can barely talk out of label, and don't provide the value you once did. Since you are generally paid more than reps, your role is becoming more scrutinized, and likely becoming more dispensable.

[/ QUOTE ]

For all of you discruntled sales reps upset with MSL's and the salaries they get. Grow up! If it is really bothering you that much go back to school and get your PharmD, PhD or even your M.D. if you think your up to it. Lets face it one day there maybe no more sales reps and just liaisons. I am sure doctors would much rather see their counterparts or peers instead of some two year copier rep that got a job as pharm rep because he didn't want to cold call any longer. Why do people with MBA's make more then your avaerage B.A. or B.S. simply because they went to school. If you all played your cards right the doctors (liaison's) could benefit from a good sales rep as well as the other way around. For now you all have to work together so stop crying [​IMG]

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For all of you discruntled sales reps upset with MSL's and the salaries they get. Grow up! If it is really bothering you that much go back to school and get your PharmD, PhD or even your M.D. if you think your up to it. Lets face it one day there maybe no more sales reps and just liaisons. I am sure doctors would much rather see their counterparts or peers instead of some two year copier rep that got a job as pharm rep because he didn't want to cold call any longer. Why do people with MBA's make more then your avaerage B.A. or B.S. simply because they went to school. If you all played your cards right the doctors (liaison's) could benefit from a good sales rep as well as the other way around. For now you all have to work together so stop crying [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    You are missing the point. Since MSL's are paid more, and frankly, I agree they probably should be, they are a huge target for cutbacks. Their role really is being scrutinized, and if MSL's start getting the same legal constraints as reps, companies will trim the fat cats first. It just seems the way it goes.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm not sure if MSLs get paid a whole lot more than tenured reps, and they probably are paid less than tenured district managers for sure.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i love working w/ my msl but there is one thing that bugs me, he never trys to get appointments on his own, i am required to make them, so i need his calendar and the doctors calendar to line up, i endlessly call and email both aprties back and forth unitl the dates and times work, then something comes up and someone has to cancel and we do it all over again, i wish he would make the appt and then clue me in, i dont even nned to go w/ him, do most msl's make their own appts?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has there been a job evaluation study comparing: No D; PharmD; PhD; M.D. in determining how each group does their job most effectively? What are the criteria for an effective MSL type? How do they measure results?

18. PDLFU

PDLFU Guest

Nobody will ever do that kind of analysis that would be published. If it turned out negatively, they would have to explain to the CPAs (clearly perverted assholes) in the company why they are a drain. If it is positive, they would have every other company trying to hire their people away. The danger is that most of us hold doctorates and won't put ourselves through that kind of analysis.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They know we are not sales reps. The MDs that I see only talk off label, request medical information that sales cannot access or offer, discuss research ideas, etc. I will attend a lunch with a rep if requested because I can answer questions from the physicians and also ASK questions that sales cannot venture into. To keep it simple - we do two different jobs. Learn how to use your MSL. Stop knocking it. We really aren't all bad!!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for all of the hard work! I'll be busy in the evening cashing my bonus check while you're up all night writing your protocol to lock in my drug!!