Stryker Canada layoffs?

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:51 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am looking to transition from a ‘Big Pharma’ Sales position in Southwestern, ON, to a Marketing role in Med-device. A couple companies I have had contact with are KCI, STORZ, and Stryker.

In researching these companies, I recently heard that Stryker Canada has made double digit Layoffs in the last week!! Can anyone provide some insight on this? Is this true? Why is this happening??

Is this a bad time to be looking into Stryker?? Am I wasting my time if they are just cutting heads.

Any info on KCI and/or STORZ would be helpful as well.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

KCI is run from the US for Canada. Dont know the update at Storz. I hear Canadian Stryker lost all their best managers over the last few years and is run by young wanna bees.
    Be very cautious.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Heard they fired another 5 this week, thats 13 in two weeks

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow, does anyone know why? they getting rid of sales guys, or inside cuts?...The Ontario boys at the OOA this past weekend are saying that word is that Stryker's GM is on a rampage. "shaking things up" is an understatment.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

they went from 18 in management positions in the summer to 9 now, thats not 5%, thats MISmanagement

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the present GM is a lawyer, whose only previous business exposure was in the potato chip business. Knows nothing about health care. Spent much money earlier in 2011 such as a magician just before the internal employee annual gallup survey ?, professionally filmed himself offsite for the first 2 quarter business reviews...much money wasted. Then finds out that he needs to make cuts to prop up bottom line (maybe because he has a new boss)
    The GM has done nothing to provide value to the Canadian business. He consistenly moves employees around in different roles.
    Its a business approach where he circles himself with friends. Nothing about performance.
    Look at the latest management setup. Two directors for Canada now managing all divisions. Think they know anything about Orthopaedics/Spine ?
    it wont take long before more changes will come along....again, again, again

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well said

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stryker as a global organisation have cut their workforce by 5% (in the operations dept) so it is nothing from a Stryker Canada perspective that was the cause of these job cuts. I have worked both for Stryker Canada and Stryker Ortho and have found it a great company to work for. All the medical device organisations are surffering due to Obama's new healthcare tax thus forcing everyone to relook at how their organisations are performing. Stryker live by their motto of being the fastest growing medical technology company having made several high profile acqusitions (including the neurovascular division of Boston scientific) which have widened the scope of medical solutions. They have also increased their spending on R&D by over 5% which in turn will pay dividends in a couple of years once new products come to market. All in all, i would not be concerned going for a job with Stryker.

But hey....thats just me :)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agreed. Stryker is a world class organization that will win, in spite of the antibusiness laws that continue rolling out of Washington, DC.

As for the layoffs, it is sad for many, but necessary for financial health as SYK strategically prepares it's execution to take the #1 spot in orthopedics.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

stryker corp may be trying to win in ortho, however canada remains a sad story. Who runs Ortho in Canada now? If a doc asks who the most senior manager is...who is it. Does this person have an ortho background.
    Stryker Canada will be below budget next year and will see big losses of share and sales.
    The reps are very demoralized (no year year end sales meeting as one point).
    Wait till they cut commissions again in January.
    The senior management team of Stryker Canada think that an Ortho rep is just like an Endo rep and just like a bed rep.
    Good luck trying to keep morale high.
    Good luck keeping your best reps .

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I worked as a financial analyst at Biomet, and granted, I did not have first hand exposure to the total Canadian Orthopaedic Marketplace, but I thought Stryker owned #1 share in Hips and Knees. Not the Case? No longer the case?

I remember one of Biomet’s marketing managers (will remain unnamed) speaking to the management at Stryker, and saying, “am I ever glad I got out of there when I did”… and then spoke poorly of the new (at the time) GM, calling him a career chaser, strictly concerned with short term bottom line results, and that he’d be on to his next career hurdle as soon as possible…. and by any means possible.

This was about 3 years ago… seems like not much has changed, except maybe this GM’ careers expectations??? Seeing as he’s still in that role.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How is the NSM. Oh, I forgot, it was cancelled. Explain that to the reps during 2012 !

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who runs Stryker Canada you ask?
    That is a telling tale my friend .......... some guy from Hostess Chips ...... what a joke!!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Moral left Stryker a long time ago ....... so did their best reps ....... and they can't figure why their numbers keep dropping ....... what a joke!!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stryker Canada is a joke right now. Humpty Dumpty has surrounded himself with mouth pieces that regurgitate lies and misinformation to the sales reps. Look for falling commissions, and fewer reps carrying more products with less resources to work with.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stryker Corporate doesn't care about their reps and the customer. Ask any surgeon how ethical Stryker is? The reps are being forced to lie to their customers to cover up the stupid decisions of Corporate to achieve Humpty Dumpty's bottom line. Many reps are fishing, looking for better alternatives with the competition.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This sounds to me as if this is written by ex-employees, which really doesnt surprise me. The GM is acutally incredibly smart with an MBA but has now been there 6 years and has done more for Stryker Canada than anyone in the past, although there were many good managers. The US recession has not only affected the American replacement market. The recession in the States required cutbacks to all of the international divisions. Things seem to be very much on the move upwards and on a positive upturn. Stryker Canada is a great company to work for!!!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think the layoffs started with the girl Canadian rep who got arrested and fired in Dallas during the trauma training after she and another rep were caught screwing in public. This was a result of the mandatory karaoke team building night. Things got a little out of hand.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I also heard about. So much for the Gallup interview profile....just think, if they had not fired her, she would have answered the 'best friend' question with a 'yes' ?

This is more a commentary on Stryker Canada. Its joke. No qualified leadership, hanging onto every order to make budget. Reps are all pissed. Wait till the performance in 2013 !

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Canada?? Who gives a fuck about Canada anyways??