Job offer in hand

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Jun 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What to do...

I just received a formal offer from Stryker ortho LA. I have read many of the posts on this site but am curious if you could give me a couple reasons why "I would accept" this position. There seem to be quite a few haters on this site, I'm just seeking the positive words of how beneficial and lucrative this position could be.

Maybe someone can and will off the truth on this topic versus so many of the others posted.

Thank you, as I am attempting to make a good decision.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sounds like theres a lot of opportunity for growth in LA

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You should take it. Stryker is a solid company with good products. What you will have in your bag is the ability to bundle, if, your manager knows what he/she is doing. Stryker is very good at it. Don't listen to these people on these boards. Besides, L.A. is a huge market with plenty of hospitals and surgeons to choose from. It's going to take you a very long time to develop relationships, but, Stryker is a good name to start with.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agreed. Stryker is a very strong company with superior products...The surgeons and hospitals know this. If you are diligent, positive, and a great relationship builder you will be successful. Take the opportunity and dont look back. Good luck

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

not a very "anonymous" post if you are the one that got the offer for L.A. I see you are very clever.. hope it translates into the OR setting.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LA is a tough place to break, it's expensive and most big accounts have vendor contracts in place. If you have a good arrangement there and already have some relationships you're a chance otherwise you will be at the mercy of management getting doors open for you.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Whoever wrote this, take the job. It's the near place to work in so cal for Ortho. They are re-vamping their chain of command. More than likely the two idiots running the show currently won't even be there. Sign on the dotted line and don't wait. After you are an ASR for. 3-4 months, you will get a territory and make at least $140k second year. It's pretty chill, no call and surgeons know about Stryker implants. You just need a couple lunches with them and you should be off and running.

Keep us in the loop with how it's going. Good luck!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To all Reps. make sure you listen to the Stryker reps on here. They seem to know everything about doing what is right. That is why no company has or will ever promote them. The losers criticize management but are incapable of ever being promoted themselves. How embarrassing for them and unfair to those who have achieved more than they ever will.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Awful advice if you think that a couple of lunches will get you the business. The only worthwhile comment above is to take the job.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stop it Negative Nancy. It shouldn't take but a couple lunches and maybe a dinner or such and you are off and running. Focus on your messaging and realize doctors like to be sold to. They like a consistent message and to find you are smart enough to get them out of a jam if they find themselves in one. Otherwise, you are probably young and probably in good shape, hold your head high with your shoulders back and go ask for the business. Most of the time, Ortho guys don't ask for the business. If you follow that and combine it with a strong, consistent message...you should do very well very quickly. Keep us informed.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This whole thread is getting loopy. I am wondering if the the original post wasn't fabricated by a competitor in the LA area just to get some intel. The reps across the US are starting to hear about Stryker's defections in CA (I am in the midwest with a big 3 ortho company). It is a really interesting situation in CA with Stryker with the shear numbers of reps (in groups) defecting with relatively small sales territories (@$1 mil or less is my guess). That is what Stryker wanted was an army of young (usually ex-jocks) that had usually one/two new surgeons using their products in some form or fashion. These reps built up fabulous relationships with these surgeons and it seems to me at some point in time Stryker changed the rules with the reps which pissed them off.
    What I have learned in my long career in orthopedic sales is that a rep's biggest enemy in this job is his/her sales managers and the people above them (distributors and territory mgrs). Not the people you are selling against. I never burn bridges or talk bad about my competitors reps in the field because you never know when they are going to be your fellow sales reps like the Biomet/Zimmer/Centerpulse deals. But, sales managers are fair game. They come and they go, and they are sleazy backstabbers. They are never your friends and never trust them. I never allow them to visit my doctors, however I know that the young reps don't have that luxury. These weasels will praise you (to corporate) one month when you hit quota and embarrass you the next month when you don't just to save their sorry worthless asses. They have no clue on product knowledge and cannot cover a case because all they do all day long is generate and answer emails.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I took the position. Thanks everyone for the insight. I will be an ASR in either the valley, the South Bay, the west side or closer to the branch. Thanks again.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey whats your name? Meet us at the branch office and we'll go to the Mexican restaurant tequila slammers and shots on me.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jim K. They finally found something that matches my skills.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good for you. Tell us what you think after 6-12 months.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok, update... most of the guys are cool, but some are a little pretentious. I'm surprised, its almost like they have an ego cause they know more than i do. I JUST STARTED!!! Not quite sure people need to be bitter with me, just here to learn and sell some stryker products. Im looking forward to training, should be great. I think I'm headed back to NJ towards the end of the summer, at least that what I've been told.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to learn this stuff faster so i can be up to speed faster. Been getting into cases, but I'm not contributing yet. Frustrating!!!. Any words of wisdom are welcomed..

thanks

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is why its so productive to compete against you guys. This company hires guys like you who want to "contribute" immediately. You have no patience and no tact.

Good luck with that. If your senior rep allows you to speak, he's sabotaging you. You should be a mute in the OR for at least a year. That's the extent of my advice. I don't work in LA, but I'm sure my reps there aren't worried that Stryker hired you.

The guy who trained me at Zimmer told me I wouldn't know shit for 3 years, and he was pretty much right. I felt I could lead a surgeon through a case before that point, but I wasn't an expert. And, more importantly, I didn't have the respect. After about 3 years, if you don't fuck it up, you begin to earn respect and trust.

Stryker pretty much makes this training scenario impossible through unattainable quota pressure. Which again, is why its so fun to compete against you guys.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think, once I have a couple months experience and grad to training, I should be good to go. Stryker designed their training so we come out ready to run cases and contribute. I'm stoked, I think it's one of the separators from the other companies. I know I have some things to learn, but the rep I go to cases with seems pretty young and doesn't have that much experience. I happy with my decision

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you sure you have a job offer in hand and not your hose in your hand.
    "A couple of months experience and a grad to training and I should be good to go".
    Are you dreaming? Who told you this. I would love to compete against you. You have so much to learn but first you have to get out of your diapers.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What a joke. Original poster, if you are who you say you are, this job is a car salesman at best.

Sell someone a car, it breaks down, they don't go to you they go to service.

Stryker and most reps think they have the hand of god like the doctors do.

Hey I hear dental implants is the place to be..

Should be plenty of opportunities for you losers when the ship sinks..