Honest opinion - Oncology

Discussion in 'Bristol-Myers Squibb' started by Anonymous, May 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey all,

I'm looking for an honest opinion. I have an offer for an Oncology position. I currently make total comp between $140-160, however its volatile b/c a large % is commission. I might possibly have a promotion in the next 6 months, but its not a definite. It would also not come with a pay increase, its more of a leadership/title thing. Overall, however the longevity of this position is somewhat uncertain. (Biz environment)

I have about 8 years in oncology exp and 12 years medical sales.

What is the salary range I should be aware of for the position? What is the pod structure like currently? It sounds like ppl would be stepping all over each other. Oncology Culture? Commission pay, likelihood of making targets and what sort of metrics are used to evaluate? I have been told there are two new products coming out. One in the fall and another first in line coming out within the next year. Are these blockbuster products? Would they ensure the longevity of the oncology position and provide stability to this division?

Thanks for all honest opinions. I am looking for a secure stable company, but seems like a lot of the info here seems to lean on the side of them hiring a lot of new reps only to let them go later.

Thoughts and thank you.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Of all of the divisions of the company, it seems that the oncology division is the most 'safe'. They are investing much of their time and resources into it.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look elsewhere. This is the most screwed up company. There is no concern about their employees, expect to be realigned every 18 months, with the lack of security that comes with "reorgs". Believe me, you can do far better,

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look elsewhere. This is the most screwed up company. There is no concern about their employees, expect to be realigned every 18 months, with the lack of security that comes with "reorgs". Believe me, you can do far better,

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Safe"? Wrong industry.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its relatively secure but the culture is horrible....oncology used to be a good division to work in but it is now run by all the former neuroscience leaders who turned that division into the micromanaged metric obsessed nightmare that it was. Its all one size fits all box checking now.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The biggest problem with every division of BMS is the dissemination of primary care leadership throughout the organization. They all have an obsession with metrics and babysitting reps because of the overall low quality of primary care reps over the years.

These senior people have zero trust in reps, think they are all relatively stupid because they stay in the field as reps.

Traditionally the primary care sales force had about 5% of reps that were very good to excellent, the rest were mediocre in medical knowledge, business analytics and selling skills.

Therefore the leadership had no confidence in them, these "leaders" now are across the organization.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is totally accurate. Add the fact we are tripping over each other in a limited access environment and you have the former primary care model in every way.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When leadership stops showing vision and guidance, they become just management overseeing the timely and accurate filling of useless metric boxes. There is a difference between the art of a Leadership and the science of management.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Honest opinion: I wouldn't come here. The culture has changed-it's completely primary care. We were re-aligned about a year ago to help eliminate some of the tripping over of each other only to now be tripping over each other again with the hiring of even more reps to sell the new product. Makes no sense. We are the lowest paid oncology reps out there. If you have a job now and are not desperate, I would wait for a better opportunity. I'm trying to get out.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spot on. The leaders act like our accounts owe us something. LH recently said in a talkpoint that we see customers once a month. Is she stupid or really that naive? These hospitals and clinics are not drive through atms. Even my best access docs are only seen a few times a year. What a joke.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

many offices closed, sit in car and roll combos off leg

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There really are no true leaders at BMS, they are all managers, even Lamberto.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would take an oncology position with this company only if you are currently unemployed and have no prospects. They treat their reps like primary care representatives, load you with mindless training, run by legal instead of sales and the marketing department is, at best, mediocre.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Take the job, stick around for a couple years and jump somewhere else. You will then be one of the best paid reps in the industry. Who gives a shit about portfolio? A sales job in oncology is the same everywhere. Stick around until you hate your manager, hate getting fiddle dicked around by HR, hate the micro managers, hate the fact that upper management says one thing and does something else, hate the fact that you are asked to work with integrity but are pushed to do other wise....blah, blah , blah. End of the day, the company ( most of them) don't give a damn about you so why should you care about them. Seriously, jump around, have some fun, you win when you do this.