The Patent Verdict

Discussion in 'KCI' started by Anonymous, May 7, 2007 at 11:06 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can someone please tell me why KCI is back in court appealling the patent verdict? Seems like a waste of time and money. So it didn't go our way the first time around. Why can't they just leave it alone? They are going to give it another crack and lose again.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cuz' Medela is appealing.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why is Medela appealing?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

From Etrade:
    Medela announces it has filed a Notice of Appeal of a portion of the decision of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas in litigation brought by KCI. That decision included a favorable judgment that Medela was not liable for infringing the KCI patents at issue. Medela will appeal those portions of the decision that rejected its contentions that the KCI patents are invalid and unenforceable

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: The Humpty Dumpty Verdict

Maybe sue Hoover and all them vacuum cleaner companies. Like a wound pump is rocket science or something, ya know. HAHAHAHA!!!! Some garage dude gets this idea and gonna build some big rental business around some Hoover pump connected to a water hose duct taped to his knife wound from a gang fight. Yeah, and get da idea to make some billion dollar bid'ness on a trivial patent, and call it "rocket science" Some wittle bitty company comes along with the brains n balls to beat the crap out of ya patent in ya own back yard! Calls da bluff! Like Fredo says, "I'm Smart!" ...Lookin' good thar Humpty Dumpty!

LOL ROTFL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: The Humpty Dumpty Verdict

Yes, and they try to move the argument to the foam as a way to differentiate from the up and coming competitors. Somethin' tells me
    we're in trouble.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look in the FDA clearance for the vac classic and it states that there isn't anything special with our foam. It is plain old surgical foam and it probably cost two cents to manufacture. Maybe we are all jealous because we didn't think of it and we can't cash out our millions in stock options. No, instead we have to lug around a body bag of stuff each day in our cars that have millions of miles on them to in services at all hours of the day. Maybe I am bitter because I certainly wish I had a product that I could manufacture in Mexico for pennies and then market it for hundreds of dollars here. Heck, I'd be happy to sell two to three abdominal dressings each day and make about a thousand dollars profit. Where I live, I could live like a queen and I could even afford to pay my copa more! (That is if I could sell about six in a day!)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So your grandma or your wife or your kid has a wound...which product you going with. I am using the VAC and I don't even work for KCI.

Are you guys saying the other products are just as good? Well you use the other product, me I'll stick with VAC. Wonder which you would really choose given a life threatening situation.

oh, all you reps that keep complaining, why do you stay, leave be happy. Although it is comical for us on the outside reading, you might have more luck changing matters given a more constructive format. You want to vent, call a friend. Didn't you momma tell you not to air your dirty laundry. All your whining is a reflection on you not your company.

Ok enough from me. Have a great day.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Note this board is for KCI employees, now get out and STFU. This was not meant for you....so Beat it!!! Go elsewhere, I dont care what you think, so don't post it here. Moron.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The beds bring, what, around $200M? Company now, what $1.1B. That's what, almost $900M on VAC? Round numbers, K? Build this $900M around a shaky patent, and rentals at that, and we got what? Lose the lawsuit! Ouch! Enter competition offering rental at half price and a option for selling. What now? Best case, slash the VAC revenues in half...$450M left for VAC and $200M on beds. Now, a $600M company. Round numbers, again here... Say lose a half billion in revenue? And that's best case. So use your brains here. They can ride until someone can sell VAC's at scale. After that, mass layoffs, mass liqudation, heads roll, perhaps selloff the skeleton. First, try to run them off, then if that don't work lay them off. Company is gone in two years at most and higher-up's know it 'an investors know it. If CEO and VP's are half-awake they are prepaing now unless they even stupider than that. But hey losing that lawsuit was dumb too so you never know. Building a company around a patent with prior art was pretty stupid too. It ain't gonna get better. They will cut, cut cut, cut everywhere.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Right on. All you need to do is take a look at the insider transactions. NOT one executive has bought stock on the open market. All are cashing in and running for the retirement farm. I remember asking one of the Executives (I will leave them nameless) when did they realize they were going to retire. Their answer was,"when KCI went public and the stock price kept rising". They all realize that there is trouble on the horizon. Look at Jim and his last go round of selling. Selling a small block of stock for several days. Trying to not draw attention to himself or drive the price down. You watch more and more of them will be dumping everything they own and laughing all the way to the bank. Hence the pressure on Kathy to cut cost and continue to show a profit. They need wall street to stay interested for just a little while longer. Once they are all sold out, they could care less as to what happens to KCI. We will be left, as you suggest with massive layoffs and a skeleton of a company. Has anyone considered what Wakeforest thinks about all of this? Remember they own the patent we just have the rights.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Party's over....

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What??!! This ain't about Jesus?? It ain't about the Servant's Heart?? You mean to tell me this is all about money!?? We've been gipped!!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LONDON, May 11 (Reuters) - British medical devices firm Smith & Nephew Plc (SN.L: Quote, Profile , Research) said on Friday it had agreed to buy privately-owned U.S. wound treatment firm BlueSky Medical Group Inc for up to $110 million.
    Smith & Nephew (S&N) said it would pay an initial $15 million and further milestone payments of up to $95 million related to revenues or other events.

The deal will dilute S&N earnings by around 1 percent this year, be broadly neutral in 2008 and boost earnings from 2009, the firm said in a statement.

Carlsbad, California-based BlueSky has developed products for chronic wounds using negative pressure wound therapy, a technology used to treat chronic wounds such as diabetic ulcers, pressure sores and post-operative and hard-to-heal wounds.

BlueSky had revenues of approximately $11 million from its distributors in 2006, equivalent to $55 million in market sales.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Whoa, our 2ncd-worse nightmare (1st being Medline's entry which is scheduled very soon). While this announcement has tanked the stock, it's only temporary. It'll take a while for S/N to figure out how to swallow Blue Sky, and it'll take awhile for them to understand how to address the market needs (service, sales, etc...). So, we got time. Most importantly, for the 1st time, KCI needs its sales force. Now is the time to PUSH for what you want.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WHY ALL THE GLUM FACES. 'MAD MONEY' DID A BIG SPREAD ON YOU LAST WEEK. THE LOUD MOUTH SAID ALL IS UP, UP AND AWAY FOR KCI !!!!!!!!

AND MEDLINE IS THE ONLY COMPANY WITH A MORE MESSED UP MANAGMENT TEAM THAN KCI. THEY WILL TRY TO RENT THE UNIT FOR A DOLLAR A DAY LESS THAN KCI. AND ONCE ANYONE NEEDS TECHNICAL SUPPORT FROM MEDLINE, THEY ARE DEAD. THEY COULD NOT EVEN SELL SCOOTERS, YES NOT EVEN SCOOTERS. MEDLINE WILL NOT PUT THE NEEDED MONEY INTO CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND WILL NOT PAY THE REP ENOUGH TO DELIVER A VAC AFTER HOURS OR WEEKENDS. 3% COMMISSIONS, WHILE PAYING FOR GAS TO DRIVE 100 MILES OR SO, WILL NOT GET MANY REPS OUT OF THE HOUSE AFTER HOURS

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HaHaHa....KCI reps don't leave the house during hours! HaHaHa....
    They are the most demotivated reps I've ever seen (I see 'em at the local watering hole late mornings). From this blog, it's clear your field mgt doesn't have a clue how to motivate reps except for fear--and that'll get your people to walk, as apparently is happening. You folks seriously have a problem, and it ain't the emerging competition--it's you!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is true, we have nothing to worry about with Medline. They pay thier reps less than KCI does. No cars, no milage, super low commissions, so no way will they be out working evenings and weekends. I hear this is because that is when they are at their second job. And they need the second job to pay for gas. Look at the bright side, we have it better than some reps.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

this will help out a bunch

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

did it help and how