Nexgard Thoughts

Discussion in 'Merial' started by Anonymous, Sep 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a Rot/Lab and a Husky/Shepard (rescue dogs) Both had flea infestation. Vet put them on Nexgard. Works great. No obvious side effects. Only lasts 15 days.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's a unique case....by no means a common occurrence. If even a true case.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just want people to be careful. My dog died a week after taking NG. 5 weeks ago, Merial did an necropsy & I can't get a response from them about the results or anyone to talk to me. To my knowledge, nothing was wrong with her before she took the pill. Was being treated by the vet for diarrhea & lose of appetite 24 hours after taking pill. Went down hill every day from then on. I am not saying that for sure the pill caused her death, but why won't the company talk to me? Just be careful.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have you noticed Nexgard is made in Brazil?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You folks should start a Facebook site and educate the world on your experiences

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Home of the World Cup! Trifexis is made in SM's bathtub.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I found this link after searching nexgard death . i am so sorry to read about your loss. You are not alone. Nexgard killed my 2 year old Husky 10 days ago and my vet wont help me because I bought it from 800petmeds. They wont help me so i am waiting to hear back from this company called meriell? Any thoughts about this nexgard stuff? Has anyone had any luck getting feedback? I am so sad and angry and my kids are lost without Smoky. Buyer beware.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am sorry to hear of your loss too. But i have found out from my vet doing the necropsy, that they found that my dog had been ill with several diseases before they gave the pill. My vet, whom i trust, told me that my pet would not have lived even if the pill was not given. I am so thankful for knowing this because I was feeling guilty thinking that I ok'd the pill to be given. But again, death was right there and I did not know that at the time. It is just a coincidence that the disease was taking the life at the same time of giving the Nexgard. I am hoping that you will find this out too. I had trouble getting the company to return my calls but they have a protocol that they have to follow probably. But my vet did call me and tell me all the results.
    Blessings to you and peace.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just to let all know, My dog did not have a reaction to Nexgard. It was given to my pet at the same time that a disease was shutting my pet's system down. My vet told me the dog would have died very soon - within 24 hours even if Nexgard had not been given. We did not know that my dog had this disease at all. My vet has clients on this medication and there has been no problems as far as he is concerned. I am glad that I did not cause the death by saying yes to giving the pill.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nexgard related deaths due to adverse reactions is possible, ask any veterinarian who sells these toxic oral adulticides. I would call the FDA or the local press, and ask for some assistance since you appear to be having a problem getting results with your pets death. Sorry to hear about it.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nexgard related deaths due to adverse reactions is possible, ask any veterinarian who sells these toxic oral adulticides. I would call the FDA or the local press, and ask for some assistance since you appear to be having a problem getting results with your pets death. Sorry to hear about it.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Second dose given to our 10 lb schnauzer. Extreme lethargy and pain on movement. I am seriously concerned about my dog

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi there, so I've been hunting online and am feeling like the only one having an issue with Nexgard. I work at a veterinary hospital as a technician- I'm up to date on the details of all the latest products: nexgard being the most recent addition to our supplies (among parastar, k9advantix, frontline plus, sentinel, trifexis, scalibor collars etc) other staff members, a few clients have already successfully implemented nexgard for their dogs monthly flea/tick prevention.
    This morning, about 10am I gave my 1 yr old, 25lb mix breed his monthly sentinel(has been on for 6mo) and his first nexgard dose (I'd previously had him on k9 advantix). Around 12pm I noticed he seemed just a little itchy, no lesions or redness I could see at that point. As the day has gone on he's gotten progressively itchier. At this point he is panting, totally agitated, and cannot stop scratching all over! Head/ears, armpits, groin, sides etc. his skin twitches all over when I touch him. No hives, but he's now inflamed all over, bright red, and from scratching himself is bruising and starting to break the skin!
    I've already given him 2 doses of Benadryl, a cool bath, held ice packs and nothing I relieving the itch. I spoke to my vet earlier when the itching had started to worsen and he said I'd be safe continuing Benadryl every 8hrs.
    It's 11pm now and he's finally falling asleep- exhausted from itching I'm sure. I plan on bringing him into the office in the morning for some injections(antihistamine possibly steroid if he's as bad tomorrow).
    Im really curious as to why this sort of thing was not encountered or rather documented in their adverse reactions! And I mean, this is no "dry/flaky skin"... Surely he's not the only dog running into an allergy like this.
    I realize a dog can end up allergic to absolutely anything at any time, but I felt really confident in what I've been hearing and reading about Nexgard, and my poor lil guy isn't particularly sensitive either. I'd appreciate any input.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your dog is on Sentinel. Ingredients: Milbemycin oxime, Luferneron, Praziquantel. That's a good mix of 3 different insecticides/pesticides...You added a forth, newly developed (!) chemical to the mix. You cannot be seriously surprised that your dog got sick!
    Your dog is not allergic - your dog was poisoned!
    Pesticides/insecticides are poisons! There are no studies on long term effects, btw.
    Have you ever wondered whether all these chemicals could interact? There are no studies about that issue either...Do you wonder why? I don't!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

3 large dogs. All ate the pill, no issues, but one side effect. 21 days later still have fleas. This is the first flea problem I've had in years. I almost never have a fleas and never really need to use products. After 3 weeks, I went out and bought Sentinel II and it worked. No fleas after 2 days. The NexGard product seemed to work somewhat but not that immediate kill every flea like I know everyone wants. One dog got dry skin and itchies for a a few days but really no side effects. I was disappointed in the product. Zak in Kent, WA

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interesting since Sentinel ( not sure whst the II is for) doesn't kill adult fleas. Guess what, NexGard worked!