Age Discrimination Alive and Well at Merck

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Because if you are married you might have other mouths to feed. (dependents).

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your issues are not mine. If you think kids trump my job your are wrong. If you can't raise them don't have them!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't have any children I am explaining how decisions are made. Obviously, you are not very bright.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What's not bright is the comment you made. The decisions seem distorted and based on personal opinion rather than fact.

The reality is that single people face enormous financial strains. They single handedly shoulder all their bills and expenses. Don't overlook that we all need a place to live. That is the biggest cost for everyone. Singles also have "family" expenses. Many help or totally support elderly parents. Others can be raising children of their own.

Marrieds, on the other hand, have the "option" of two incomes. Thats big, and it makes all the difference when the chips fall. When one income goes the other remains allowing them to coast. This is not the case for singles, everything can more easily be lost.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am single without children; you need not explain it to me. Decisions are not always based on "fact" that is my point. There are many factors that force their decisions.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am single without children; you need not explain it to me. My point is decisions are not always made rationally or with facts. Their are many components to the decisions made.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Decisions are probably made on a few people and their personal bias and whims.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree, its the responsibility of the parent or don't have kids. Its sounds like social services here. If you have a kid it gets you more. In this case it get you a job and stability. Why should one lose a job so someone else gets it. That is low and foul. Does anyone care about the other person, consider their needs and the importance of the job for them? Say this is not true or this place is in bad shape.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, you said it: bad shape.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't disagree that they are targeting many of the over 45.

But, have you looked at the distribution of the sales force? I see a lot of over 45s that started in the industry years ago & now have 15-25 years with Merck. I am an AE and my team is more than half over 45. If we made cuts it would be disproportiante to older people.
    We haven't added many reps in past several years. Plus, if you are under 40 you should get out of pharma! Salaries are going down, not up. Ever hear of contract sales teams? That is the future of pharma sales, sorry. I don't like it either, but reality is here!
    If you are a sharp under 40, you are probably gone already, go have a life!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree, if you are 30s,40s you should get out of pharma sales work.
    45 or so is bad enough but ....its not 55, 60 or more.

Biggest problem is people in the upper age ranges. Not able to retire, not eligible for ss and faced with the least work opportunities.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

…and has been for years.