A typical day?

Discussion in 'Intuitive Surgical' started by Anonymous, Sep 8, 2014 at 9:45 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am currently selling ultrasound equip to OB/GYN's but there is a rumor of layoffs so I am thinking about leaving.I leave the house at 7:30 and am home by 5:30 and only get paged if there is a problem and then I refer it to technical services.

If I made the move, would I be happy at ISI? Single parent so have to be home by 5:30-6 at the latest. I have tried to find a rep to talk to but the majority of my calls are office based so haven't run into one.

What is your typical day like? Are you in surgery every day? Currently, 175K at plan and the numbers aren't too hard to hit. Can you work 7-4 or 7-5 and still make your numbers here?

I can deal with the company culture and micro managers that I read about. I have no problem working hard for 8-10 hrs but I do not want more then a 10 hour day on a regular basis. I get it that things happen but is that the norm?

Honest answers and no need for comments that are not intended to be helpful.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The job hinges on you to support surgeons and staff through learning curves with the robot.
    The problem is if you have a case that runs late it would be very hard to leave .
    They need you that much. Plus every surgeon trained needs to go and observe a case = one night away. Then go to a lab = one night away. Yu are required to train 3 surgeons a quarter. That is 6 nights a quarter you are gone during a weekday. Also the company has 2 yearly meetings for a week each. That totals 34 weekdays a year you can plan on being gone.
    You could do it with a good support system. Good luck.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks! I am actually ok with the 10% travel because my daughter can stay with her grandparents and it can be planned in advance. It is the day to day that I am more concerned about and wondering how often it happens. It is much harder to find someone to get her at the last minute than it is if I have ample notice. How much flexibility is there in the schedule and how much of it do I determine. 7-5 is ok, 7-7 is not.

Is most of the day spent in the OR so it will frequently require me to stay after 5pm? I was under the understanding that there is time allocated during the afternoons to call on surgeons to recruit them so there would be less of a chance for surgery delays.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Surgery start/end times are unpredictable and based on factors out of your control. Good though that you are showing your naivete to OR sales on an anonymous board rather than the interview.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh Jeeez where do I start with this lady?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Oh Jeeez where do I start with this lady?"

You don't need to start anywhere with me. I GET IT!! I am not an idiot! If you would have bothered to read my post, I am asking if surgery is 5 days a week for 12 hours a day? Or, are most procedures scheduled in the morning/early afternoon to give me time later in the day to recruit new surgeons? It is not that hard of a question. I also get it that surgeries are not in my control and that I am that the mercy of everyone else's schedule. What I am trying to discern is if a single parent can do this job without having to miss dinner or activities with my daughter. I don't have a spouse to pick up the slack so need to know if I can manage both. Yes, once or twice a month is doable for me but once or twice a week is not. I am trying to figure out if this is a good fit for me before I even interview and I appreciate the feedback of those willing to point out the good and the bad..not the feedback from those that think they are above everyone else and the rest of us are clueless morons.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Um
    I would say stay put
    Way too emotional for all the feedback that is in store for you here.
    Whether your a star or not you will get a lot of feedback.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ISI, is likely not the position for you based on your needs. Its not a put down it is just what it is. Has anyone mentioned the business development events? Taking surgeons on case observations? How about the month long training away from home? I have been here for 5 years and I work from 7 am and on a slow day I can be home by 6:30. Most days I am working until 8pm at least. It is not a job but a lifestyle.

I also agree with your emotional response to the last post's feedback. Here you will receive feedback on everything you do. Seriously order a sandwich for lunch when you are with your manager they will give you feedback on how you did it. Everything you do will be questioned and examined. The desire to develop people actually gets in the way with going out and doing your job. There is no misrepresentation about this is not the company for everyone. I make good money and I am an expert at putting my head down and doing my job. That is why I have been here for as long as I have. My entire team had turned over including management 3 times in 5 years. This is accurate information, I can't see how you could possibly do it with your needs and this company will NOT tolerate any deviation from what they perceive to be the right way to do things.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ISI does not have time clock and they don't care about your personal situations. A better strategy would be "hey ISI I can make you money here's why". Not "I can only work 7-5"

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please post where you land so I know where to go and make good money and work till. 5

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks, but my emotional stability is just fine. I am just tired of jerks thinking it is ok to comment with the intention of being derogatory.

Yes, I actually make $165-$175k and work normal hours. I also get stock options, 401K, profit sharing and a great retirement. I guess this job is not for me as money is not everything and I have no desire to work a 12 hour day on a regular basis. To be honest, I can't imagine why any of you do it? My family is much more important to me than my job and mid-6 figures is more then enough to live on.

Best of luck to you all in trying to balance it all...I don't see how it can be done at this company and that is a shame because it is a great product.

To the guy who wants to know where I work so he can have my job if I leave, look around. There are jobs out there where you can make $150K plus, get great benefits and not sell your soul.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You would be better off marrying an Intuitive rep.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

:)

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

great product pssst .............your naïve is showing again.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This thread just made my day.

And they wonder why we have mostly dudes in field sales for this company. In fairness, the women we have working here at ISI are phenomenal people and awesome sales reps but this chick is obviously 6 gallons of bat shit crazy in a 5 gallon bucket based on her replies and exclamation marks. It's easier to just hire hard working dudes who don't have to be home by 5 and that issue be the one thing they get on CafeP and ask about.

Call Ethicon or Covidien madam.

We're a phenomenal company to work for and ive been here for over 5 years. When i look around at my awesome colleagues, there's not a single one of them that would ever resort to trolling CafeP to investigate the 7-5 workday restrictions........

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey what about us single dads. I work for my self and pay more in taxes than you will ever earn on your best year.
    We work for time and independence . Marry a ISI rep. yep then you would either ave to a little something on the side since you will never see him or her . Your opinion of yourself is a lkttle bit higher than the actual value your bring to the OR . But hey this is probaly yoru first gig in the OR . ISI is a great entry into the filed. Now if you were around when Jerry and the boys were selling then I would be impressed . But now ...you are at best a me too rep. But its good to live the lifestyle .

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is the reason our turnover is so high and no-one wants to work here anymore. Your gross ignorance, massive ego and misplaced priorities are childish. I've been here longer than you and am constantly embarrassed to be associated with people like you. keep pounding your chest. Tell us more about how special you are.

to the OP, i wouldn't come here. You might make more, but more likely not, and will be out looking for a new gig in less than 18 mos like 90% of our new hires.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow...I post 4 times, use 4 exclamation points and am accused of being overly emotional. I now have no doubt as to why ISI is considered being a terrible place to work with a toxic culture and incredibly high turnover. It is staffed with a bunch of arrogant, male jerks. You guys think you are all that and come to find out, you would sell your soul to the highest bidder (or paycheck) No, I wouldn't marry an ISI rep because he would never be home. I am sorry but a 60+ hour work week is ridiculous for a single or married person. Your company owns you and if you are ok with that then I feel so sorry for your family.

I came on here to get an idea of whether or not this would be a good fit and several of you couldn't resist bashing my questions. It is not like I can just walk in the OR to ask questions. Don't you remember what your mother told you, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." To those that replied with the intention of being helpful, thank you! I appreciate the time you took to help me out. I guess you are the exception to the company being staffed by jerks.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There hasn't been a post that summizes this company like this one in a long time.

Thank you overly emotional, naive, knocked up, 40 hour a week, single mom!

It warms my heart to know our culture is still intact.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Guys,

I think we need to let up on her. She asked some questions and the collective response was pretty rude. I wouldn't want someone talking to my wife, mother or daughter like that. She can't be too naive if she is working a 45+ work week and making 175k plus better benefits then we get. Seriously, I am working at least 800 more hours a year then she is...for what an extra $25-30K? I am not so sure that she isn't the smarter one. That doesn't include all of the overnights we have away from home.

I guess none of you remember what it was like to get into this industry? No wonder others consider our company toxic. Things are nowhere near what they were like when I started here and it is not the company it once was so I think a good percentage of us need to get off of our high horse as Intuitive isn't that well respected anymore. Heck, this is entry-level device for many. What happened? I think a bunch of you got too big for your britches!