Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For every 1 recruiter that is good there are least 25 plus idiots. Do you really think people are stupid enough to trust the info below. From med reps Jack from sales search

Seeking RN w/ Sales Experience - $75K Salary - $315K @ plan w/ Pre-IPO stock

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jack Sells another bs artist if you combine Shapero and Jack they have a total of over 625 jobs on medreps sure whatever.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

good news the job market must be picking up. New 250k+ jobs for anyone who wants one.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Poster #33 here:

There are many different reasons why they hired them.

I would suggest you look on LinkedIn and see what they are posting as their resume. Now add on top of it was that manager connected to someone within Tornier? The good old boy network does work. It's not what you know but who you know when you get to a management level situation sometimes.

Does the resume talk about growth within the sales team? Any Presidents Club winners on the team? Rookie of the Years? May have received a Presidents Club Award themselves. What does the rolodex consist of for this manager? Are they one of only a few available that does not have a non compete in play? Is their comp plan a step up from where they were at? Were they terminated or affected by realignment and cutbacks? Were they offered an opportunity to relocate with the company but opted for the severance instead?

The list goes on and on. The bottom line is if the current team at Tornier is performing, unless the manager seriously screws up or there is a sudden wave of departures in their region for no apparent reason, odds are they are safe until further notice. It's all about the numbers unfortunately.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dear Mr. Recruiter,

Thanks for another valuable post, your insight is most helpful. Rather ironic that you mentioned ISI, I just turned down with a job with them. They are willing to look at very successful pharma reps. with clinical backgrounds but they are about the only device company that will. However, I had to agree to 60-70 hr work week and 60% travel for the position I was offered. No thanks!

I am going to take your advice and do my due diligence in regards to finding the hiring/hr manager. At the same time, what would you suggest I do if there is a job medreps.com that I am interested in? I send my resumes and though I have had a few phone calls, the jobs have ended up being a pay cut for me. I have done extremely well in pharma and am being selective but I have outgrown the industry and want a more challenging position. I am willing to take a pay cut in base in order to get my foot in the door.

How do I get a recruiter to answer my phone call when they won't give my resume more then 10 seconds of their time when I send it directly to them? How do I find someone like you who is willing to look outside the box and give their time to help others.

Thanks!

The Rep. with the "It" factor

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First, I appreciate your honesty in this post. Good information here.

What I see here are companies that hire more females and minorities, which is reverse discrimination, and wrong.

If you were to take an objective look at who are the top producers, it is usually going to be the white males. I am not trying to be a jerk here, but the facts are the facts.

With this information, I think what people need to realize is this: if you want to work for a major corporation (something I only recommend if you need some experience and are under 30), then you are going to need to NETWORK with someone in the company. If you are in your mid 30s and up, then you almost have no shot to get these jobs unless you know someone on the indside.

There is no point on even going on the interview. Even if you match all the critera listed by poster #33, you are still going to very likely get passed over.

Those of you that are great sales people should save your energy on small, private companies that really need to get numbers from their people, and offer aggressive comp. plans. These companies are not big on office politics (something you will always see with these bigger companies) and will 100 percent treat their sales forces better OR start your own business, as an insurance agent or real estate agent OR another business.

I will close with this: one of the greatest truths I have learned in life is that money should not be the number one reason to take a job. You have to look at the culture of the company, the stability of the company, and how they treat their people. Over and over, it is obvious to me that these "superstar" companies that people think would be so great to work for (some that you have listed), are really terrible. The best move is to live below your means, in a modest neighborhood, and do something that is not going to raise your blood pressure every other day.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not sure what company you work for but that is just not true. Though there might be more white males number wise that is just because there are a higher percentage of men to begin with. If you compare the percentage of women at the top vs. the percentage of men....women by far are the top producers at my fortune 100 company and at the companies I have worked at in the past.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with you. But, I can assume your saying this, experience and training and all the niceties that come with experience and time in the field do not mean a lot to the big Ortho companies? Oh well, medical sales is just another McJob now days anyway.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This has been the norm for multiple yrs now many companies don't give a rat's ass as they know they are hiring 1 person to do the job of 3.

Ability to travel overnight for 3-4 nights per week; 75% plus travel in large multi state area.
    Also they except you to drive your own car into the ground putting 45-50k miles a yr on it.
    Some even go further they except you to cover the entire United States unfuckin real !

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has anyone had any dealings with Life Science Recruiter Network? All of the recruiters seem to have very generic names

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"It" Factor,

What puzzles me is the pay cut scenario. You are willing to take one but turned down ISI? So am I safe to assume it was an associate rep role and not a full CSR role?

If it was a full line CSR role then is a pay cut in your scenario a cut in base or are you truly making over $180k annually already? CSR reps DOE will have at plans of $180k to 220k first year. If they lowballed you what numbers did they present?

If you are making that type of money already with a higher end base, stay where you are at and look to move up within your current company. Anywhere you go will be a pay cut and most will not get you anywhere close to what you are making now. I also stress to candidates ALWAYS look at management opps if your company presents them to you.

My reasoning is simple...you will change the path of your career forever. By taking a management gig you will only look at management gigs in the future once you are promoted. you may also be able to move up again within he same company to a Director, AVP or whatever title they use. You also are somewhat protected as a manager because if your region beats plan and you aren't insane, a sexual harasser or anything, they won't bother you. I discussed that in an earlier post here.

The reps that make the insane money and don't move up I understand but they are pretty much stuck and realistically will become unhappy once the well dries up, territory or comp gets cut and when they start looking nothing will come close to what they want to make first year. I hear it quite a bit especially the last 4 or so years.

The gut check everyone needs to do before looking at new opportunities is the following:

Are you happy currently in your position? If yes, you can be picky and such. If no, odds are you will settle for a lot in order to get out. Not a good mindset for a career change. This is where the job hopper usually begins.

What is the number you are willing to take to leave your current job? And go on the low number that will keep your life in line with expenses, etc.

Are you willing to ramp up and not possibly make your current money for at least the first 2 years? Here's one tidbit...take the at plan number and add 10k to it for year 1 and 20k for year 2. Comp plans are being cut, don't ever believe the high end numbers given. Remember a rep left. The company is going to bump up the quota to keep the pay structure down at the at plan number plus a few bucks. That whole corp. profit thing comes into play here.

Is the company stable? Beaten projections if publicly traded? % of reps promoted from within? New products in last 3 years? Do you see yourself working for them for 3-5 years? remember if you have a clean resume you are trying not to screw it up.

In regards to recruiters, look them up and call them directly before sending the resume. Tell them you saw their posting, quick synopsis of you and the awards, % to plan numbers, tell them you just turned down ISI w/o saying you are in pharma and ask them to call you back. I'll say 75% will call back just on the ISI statement.