Reality please

Discussion in 'Ethicon Device' started by Anonymous, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Still New at ees. Have not figured out yet what to believe.
    This job is complex. Any real world candid responses r appreciated

How Many surgeries is normal to attend daily?

How do you provide value to surgeons?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know you'll get some bogus and negative responses, so I'll actually give you some truth:

Depending on the type and length of procedures, as well as the case volume in the territory in any given week, you should expect to be in 2-3 cases per day, or at least 12-15 per week. Of course that doesn't mean you should be in cases just to be in a case; ideally, they should be cases where there are significant selling opportunities that correspond to your sales objectives/business plan/sales incentives.

As far as providing value, since most of our products are commodities that have been around for awhile, most of the value you can provide comes in the form of:
    - providing feedback on best practices related to making procedural techniques more efficient (triple staple technique vs. pursestring; linear anastomosis vs. circular on a GJ pouch anastomosis; etc.)
    - professional educational opportunities in the form of both local/regional and national courses (SSL, advanced lap, lap suturing, VATS). Despite modern advances, many surgeons still don't perform MIP for all their cases
    - OR operational efficiency to smooth cases for surgeon (training and in-servicing OR staff, ensuring preferred devices are available/in-stock, and troubleshooting during cases). This is, at times, an account management job: you'll have to do a lot of customer service, technical troubleshooting (RF60, GEN04, etc), and price quoting/order taking. This explains the relatively higher base salaries that we're paid compared to other device jobs.

Yes, like all jobs, some parts of this job blows. But its still a good job with good pay. Just try not to get too frustrated by the lack of innovation, the slow pace at which new products come to market, the often incompetent marketing department, and the BS admin work. Good luck!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the information

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've been here about 4 years and I find the above response truthful and with a nice touch of reality. It's easy to get on here and bash (I am frustrated by slow innovation and our marketing sucks!) but I still enjoy showing an old dog new tricks! Have fun and enjoy!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I rather like you're slow innovation. Makes it easier for us to get you out of the hospital. Thanks!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2nd 3 cases a day? I am relatively new but I would say that's a stretch. Some days that is possible, but others it's hard to find a reason to even be in a case. There is always something to do, but I for one don't believe your success has anything to do with the number of cases you attend. I think working smart is the key. Actually, i believe some attend too many cases

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here is one more reality not touched upon and you are right about the 2-3 cases per day. Doesn't happen. Contract sells Ethicon products. No Ethicon contract means no case per day in most hospitals. If you have contract in place, you still don't have to go to any cases. Work it right and you can do this job working 1-2 days per week.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thats the key ... But ask Harry Spilker how to work smart, not get fired and end up getting promoted ... He is the master i hear of making himself look good literally at the expense of others

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am new to ees and device sales. Is the job hard? How about relative to other device companies?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here is the reality. A lot of your sucess will depend on territory. Some things you can control, but there is plenty that you can't.

The key is to have as much face time in front of the surgeon as possible. I know some that do 20 cases a week to get that face time. Others do maybe a few cases a week but do lunches and/or appointments at offices.

You decide. You'll quickly find out that people work this job COMPLETELY differently. For me, that's why I love it. The flexibility to run this like my own business and make those decisions.

I'm always very curious to hear what others are doing. I average around 6 cases a week. I would say that is somewhere in the middle. Can't be sure though.

Tha's my 2 cents. Good luck to you!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In know I may get ripped for asking. I am still relatively new and wanting some tips on gaining access to competitor drs. I would like to hear from the seasoned reps here.

How do I find a reason to be in their or when they are not using anything I have?

I know this sounds stupid but I actually have a lot of sales experience. However, this industry is new to me and I'm sure old timers can cut down my learning curve significantly with a few tips. I want to know the quickest way and not too proud to ask.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm around 6 a week too. However, I pre call plan way more than others I know. You're right about people working this job differently. I've never been able to go from case to case without planning. I wish I could but it has never worked for me.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

6 a week is high for senior reps i suspect. If you are new 10 a week is abut average

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For a senior or executive rep, the average is about 2-3 per week. For a new rep, you should be in 2 a day. Why? You need to get the doc to realize that you are available in case anything comes up, such as a mis-fire or jam. Once you are established at the "Ethicon guy", there is very little need to be in cases. Most tenured reps stop in their accounts, check par levels, breeze into materials management to say hello, maybe pop into the OR to be seen by a few docs or RN's, and call it a day. It's a 4hr workday. It's a nice gig to have once you are up and running.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Make sure you sit there for 2 hours if there is a jam. Wow ! What a waste of time. You might as well skype in to the case from your house. Get your 2 years and get out. Ethicon will always be a great place to be" from". It is the minor league of the device industry and everyone knows it.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

why do some believe its the minor league? I have been here 2 years and I think it's the toughest device job out there. Ortho guys are so specialized that seems easy. I sure don't see other device reps even in the hospital.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Because it is a low paying mindless job with products that are basic and boring. The reason you dont see other device reps in the hospital is because they are not walking around in scrubs acting like a Trocar or old stapler is some innovative product. Dont forget to make sure the reload is loaded properly. Look at that perfect B staple !!!!doesnt get any tougher than that !!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The main reason you don't see other reps in the hospital all thr time is that we have more than 3 or 4 accounts. My territory has 6 endo reps and of the 6 the guy with the most accounts has 6.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So other device reps outside of Ethicon or Covidien don't show up. I mean, where all ALL these "other" fantastic high paying device jobs. Outside of ortho, I don't see anyone else in my hospitals....ever!!!!!

Maybe I should get "another" device job and so I wont have to go to the hospital. God know how I'll make sales but apparently its happening according to you??

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another reason you dont see other reps is reps in the "big league" focus on the surgeon(s) that matter to them. In many cases that could be 1,2 maybe 3 high volume surgeons within an entire state.

They are not obsessed with "being in the OR" unless it is prudent to be there. At Ees you are trained to believe that you should be in cases all day everyday. When your manager rides with you, you are expected to have a full day of activity. It's complete non-sense. Once you know your accounts, it is a part time job.

I know reps that sell high margin low volume products who may be in one surgery a week and make insane commissions. I know an independent spine rep who moved across the country to follow 1 surgeon that helped him earn more than 300k.

EES is okay but you have to tune out all the hype and see it for what I really is.