My version of 15 by 15

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Sep 24, 2011 at 7:15 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The 15s are a product of Merck's corporate behavior. Screw your employees and it will come back to haunt you every time. It's poetic justice.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are living a fantasy. If your myth somehow makes you feel better well that's your prerogative. Next Friday Merck is expected to report sales of 42 billion. That's justice of another kind and poetry doesn't have anything to do with it. I don't imagine that Merck is haunted by anything.
    You must have gone to a liberal arts school. You have an over active imagination.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Easy there, Sparky. I know you love Mother and all, but have you stepped back and looked at this train wreck? We've shed 34,000 people, closed our HQ, destroyed morale everywhere (except your strange little corner of the Merck world), we're losing market share across the board, face a slew of patent expirations and have a horrific pipeline.

There's a reason management is circling the wagons. It's time you removed your head from your ass. This ship is in terrible condition. Your pink slip will make you face that. I guess that's what it takes for some….

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry " sparky" not with Merck, just an investor. I don't " love" any company but I do like returns and dividends. Merck still pays those, as do other companies. Merck certainly faces challenges but continues to perform fairly well as part of any portfolio. Shedding jobs and hopefully the redundancy seen, for example in the sales force is part of change. Sorry. When it stops performing as an investment I will make a change. Certainly patent expiry plays a part in that but Merck is poised for growth in HepC and oncology. Sorry if you are not part of those divisions. Maybe you should have spent less time on " 15" and more on your career. " Morale" doesn't really factor into it. Employees mistakenly believe that a company exists for them and their welfare. Companies propagate this myth with platitudes like " we are only as strong as our employees." Companies are only as strong as their bottom lines, products, revenues, cash flows and stock dividends. Some don't like capitalism but there it is.
    I don't see Merck as in " terrible condition" maybe you, in your micro entry level job, worried about your own pink slip do. I see Merck changing as companies do, 43 billion in sales certainly helps facilitate that change. Sorry to burst your fantasy bubble but a small minority of disgruntled employees playing at a work stoppage doesn't impress me. 43 billion in sales does.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess being employed here does offer some info that regular investors don't see. Knowing what I know, I wouldn'y buy MRK at $20, let alone $62.

Take a closer look at HepC and Oncology. Our products aren't even in competition for being the best in class---packed, competitive classes, I might add. Our Onc PD-1 will be the first, but that won't be for long and the competition looks much better there. Both groups will be in big trouble when the sales flounder. And flounder they will. Don'y buy the B.S. management spews. They would have you think the new sleep med is going to be a big seller, too. Not a chance. Our troubles are far from over. The 15s are just a small part of that. They're really a byproduct of the bigger troubles and they are hurting the bottom line.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh, and by the way, I am in the HepC group. If I didn't have these golden handcuffs, I would have bolted with those lucky/smart ones who did.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Clueless. Go chit chat with your broker.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

MarketWatch, CNN Money, WSJ, these are places I go for investment news not CP.
    Certainly not from some half assed, disgruntled, occupiers, 15ers.
    Money talks, BS walks. Take a hike.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

May I suggest you read the Harvard Business Review's article called "The Service Profit Chain"? It will help you understand why your investment strategy is short sighted, though likely profitable for the short term. Don't stay at the party too long or you'll wind up like the paranoid delusionals who post here.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Only the clueless still use brokers.
    You guys have an earthworms view of your own company and let your unhappiness cloud your judgement. Try reading the annual report instead of CP next time.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hahaha ha ha! Merck was the most shorted stock in the recent past - I don't know any brokers who would recommend buying it. The only analyst firms with positive outlooks on Merck are those that provide investment banking services for them. There are at least four other pharma/bio companies whose stock is more profitable with a brighter company outlook.

Maybe you should read a few competitors' annual reports in addition to Merck's. You'd see what you're actually missing.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks. Every great once in a while some one emerges on here with a pearl.
    Most of it on here are only thrown among swine, as the bible says.
    Never said Merck was my only investment strategy, just in consideration among several different blue chips. It's performed well over time with decent dividends. You are right, the paranoids on here are fleas on a dog, with very little insight so clouded with bitterness.
    I will look up the HBR article.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Read it. Don't see the relevancy to pharma. Drugs aren't Cadillacs or tacos. Too many other market variables in the buying circle of influence. Did customers stat " loyal" to Merck and Zocor when Lipitor came out? Are the loyal to Januvia since Sglt-2's came out?
    Pharma is a unique animal were " front line " employees are are much less influential than say a better product, better price, better third party pays, gov. interventions, ect.
    Did customers stay loyal to Cozaar when identical ARB's Diovan and Benicar came out?
    Did a " superior " Merck salesforce and outcomes ( RENNAL, ElITE) overcome the growth of Forrest's Benicar?
    Which brings us to the vulnerability and disposability of a dedicated salesforce. They don't really make a difference in pharma, with the possible xception of product launch.That's why those " careers" have proved so volatile. If you are still knocking on docs doors, bag in hand lie a fuller brush salesman, your days are numbered.
    Again, products, price, reimbursements, managed care et al, are king in pharma, not how you " service the customer, the doc, whose prescribing power has all but been taken away.
    When I as at Merck in the late 90's to early 2000's, Merck serviced the hell out of customers, all to no avail.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

CNN? MarketWatch? WSJ? That's where typical half-assed investors go. Personally, I welcome the insight from those on the inside.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just a transient with an opinion. Nothing to see here, move along.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, you guys are really on the " inside."
    You who don't know about a layoff until your phone rings and they ask for your car keys.
    Don't make me laugh.
    You guys are like going to the zoo and asking the monkeys what's going on with the lions.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

True words. Nothing but stupid comments here including yours.
    Opinions are like asses. Open your mouth and prove it.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For some of us, that's true. For many of us, not true at all. One thing is for sure---I know more about what's going on at Merck than you will ever know.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sure you do. That's why it's such an excellent place to work and you'll never leave, right? Spoken like a true company man.
    Long live Merck green! The destination of, well, sycophants ! Go Merck!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You missed the larger point. Essentially happy employees make happier customers which makes for a fatter bottom line. Happier employees come up with more ways to solve problems, they are invested in the success of the place they work for. Remember when Merck was like that?