Pfizer Vaccine Study Could Change Medicine (And Boost Stock)

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/02/24/pfizer-vaccine-study-could-change-medicine-boost-stock/

Pfizer PFE -0.13% just announced in a press release that an 85,000-patient study conducted in the Netherlands shows that its Prevnar 13 vaccine prevents pneumonia and invasive bacterial infection in adults aged 65 and older.

The news has the potential to dramatically increase the number of adults who are vaccinated against the pneumococcus bacteria. Both Prevnar 13 and an older vaccine from Merck are approved for this use by the Food and Drug Administration, but use of the vaccines has been limited because there was not proof as to how well the vaccine prevents people from becoming sick.

In fact, in the Netherlands, neither vaccine was used at all, which is what allowed Pfizer to conduct this giant study comparing Prevnar 13 to placebo. Full data will be presented at a medical meeting in India on March 12. But the results included in the press release are reason for optimism. In this study, dubbed CAPiTA, Prevnar 13 prevented community-acquired pneumonia (CAP ) caused by the 13 strains of pneumococal bacteria in the vaccine. That was the study’s main goal. On secondary goals, it prevented a first episode of non-bacteremic/non-invasive vaccine-type CAP a first episode ofnvasive pneumococcal disease. To see the design of the study, look here on the government’s clinicaltrials.gov site.

In a profile of Pfizer vaccine research honcho Emilio Emini in 2011, I quoted William Schaffner, chair of preventative medicine at Vanderbilt University saying that if the trial shows Prevnar 13 can prevent pneumonia, “the interest of physicians and providers would shift very strongly toward that vaccine.”

But the full readout of the study’s data next month will be crucial to determining how big its impact will be. What we still don’t know: whether the vaccine improved survival for these patients, and some other key measures of efficacy. The full data read out will be important. According to Mark Schoenebaum, an analyst at ISI Group, Wall Street analyst on average forecast about $1 billion of additional sales for Prevnar in adults. “The actual potential could be bigger,” he wrote this morning in a short email to clients. He predicts that the stock could open up $1 today and that continued upside in this setting could drive further stock performance.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Joke. HERD effect in USA childhood vaccinations nullifies any domestic adult use benefit.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, clinical trial shows that as minimal.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Evidence of absence is not absence of evidence. Think again. CDC is collecting this data through active bacterial surveillance program in 42 million people within the United States. It's data Pfizer cannot make up or ghostwrite.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It wasn't done in the US. It was run out of the Netherlands. It works in kids and old adults. Unlike Merck's P23.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Numbers were disappointing to see. I thought it would be much better.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess the question to answer will be, are the numbers good enough to justify coverage for the premium price we charge. The adult market is different than kids. They have been using the Polysac for years. Data should be very compelling to warrant the increased cost. Then again if the government starts putting in price controls (it's only a matter of time), it won't matter anyway.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wyeth legacy here. I saw that the efficacy numbers in adults were the same as p23 which was very disappointing. We need to get back to calling on peds where we belong. There will be competition there in a couple of years and if we keep slacking we will lose that business.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry Merck troll, P23 has no effect on non-invasive PD which causes more pneumonia and mucosal infections than invasive PD.

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140312-904685.html

"Regarding the study's secondary objectives, the Prevenar 13 group experienced 45.00 percent fewer first episodes of non-bacteremic/non-invasive vaccine-type CAP (P=0.0067) and 75.00 percent fewer first episodes of vaccine-type IPD (P=0.0005) compared with the placebo group. The safety profile of Prevenar 13 in this study was consistent with studies previously conducted in adults."

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Conjugate vaccines have several advantages over PPSV23, including immunologic priming and induction of immunologic memory, reduction in nasopharyngeal carriage of vaccine type pneumococci, likely greater effectiveness against serotypes currently causing most IPD, and evidence for effectiveness against noninvasive syndromes including nonbacteremic pneumonia and otitis media.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is a reason why the herd affect shows as minimal. I would hope that anyone selling Prevnar knows the reason why. If not, why are you in the division?????

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't sell Prevnar. I study the vaccine and the epidemiology of invasive and noninvasive pneumococcal disease. The real question is: why are you in the division?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hasn't there been a reduction in the adult population since the use in children? Thought I read that a few years ago.