Perlmutter moments

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Oct 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Besides driving Amgen into the ground, RP had a classic moments. When he first worked at Merck (I guess he worked - not sure), he lived in NYC. One day the driver was taking him home. He stupidly got out the street side, left the door open and went to get something from the trunk. A car came along and tore the door off the limo.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I hope this thread gets legs. The stupid deer in the headlights look that is Roger's face has many more of these moments to reveal, I'm sure.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are stories of these many moments for sure. Junkyard Joe knows these stories...but he is not talking. I smile when I think of these memories. The most intriguing moment to ponder: Why did he do it ? What was he thinking ? Was it his ego ? Why did he return to Merck ? Why did Junkyard Joe return too. What was JJ thinking ? Was it his ego ? Was it his bromance with Roger ? Was he eager to please his master one more time.

I for one, cannot contemplate what they were thinking. Your thoughts ?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am not sure if this will get legs. There are many stories to tell, for sure. However, the people with the best stories are sitting poolside and laughing at Roger and Joe. Trust me, we do not burn up a lot of time, or waste our neurons on this topic. In fact, we give thanks to be done with that game However, when there is good material to work with, as in this case, you have to enjoy the brief moments of humor over a good beverage and then move on to something important.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Two words: "Promotable Advantages" (and when does that start Rog?)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Grrr!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In his previous life at Merck, Perlmutter would fly out to his west coast hideaway nearly every weekend, the long Fri-Mon variety. He would have his assistants Fedex documents ahead of time that he would pretend to work on.

One of his worst habits was to allot time during just one day each month to approve new hires. As a result, MRL lost a number of promising candidates because they got snatched up by other companies because Perlmutter refused change up his schedule. And if he did not get around to an approval on that day, well, it would have to wait for the following month.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Those are just a few of the reasons why Ed Skolnick did not want him as a successor after the end of Skolnick's reign. I think Perlmutter came back to Merck just to spite Ed.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is my understanding that he returned to Merck to provide one more opportunity for his lapdog "Junkyard Joe" to come begging to the master for another job. It was excellent training for Junkyard Joe - Roger left him twisting in the California breeze trying to run Amgen R&D of the Future. Well, as we all know Junkyard Joe could not run Amgen R&D of the past and that is why Roger reassigned R to a distinguished leader during the Junkyard tenure at Amgen. It follows that he had no hope of running R&D of the future at Amgen, or anywhere else...well, except for Merck. So after a period in the Amgen dog house, Roger sent out the silent secret whistle to Junkyard Joe - up perks his tail at the sound of his old alpha dog from Wash U. - it is his time to prove himself after all of the Wash U years as the second string under appreciated puppy. Yippee, I am going back to my old master.....wag, wag, wag....

I wish Junkyard well. His new junkyard job sounds like his old job at Amgen, I hope that it goes better on the second attempt....

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Grrr ! Grrr !

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If there is any truth in what you said then why would it go better this time? Sounds like more of the same by a different name.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are truly pathetic! If you are so smart ( clearly not educated ) why aren't you running R & D??
    You are the type that thinks they are cleaver and knows better than most, yet you use a venue like this to share your thoughts instead of telling R or J what you really think.
    You are a coward that thinks they know much more than they do - and frankly you sound jealous ! Hopefully the next layoff will include you as you most likely don't add value to anything - not even a "junkyard".

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cleaver? D-bag.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Roger!!! How are you and JJ doing? Starting to look like Amgen here in Rahway! We all have your number.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If Junkyard names the cluster Translational Sciences, then it will be the same as the old cluster with the same name. It won't go better this time....

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It sure does. As you know, 10 years they said the thing about Amgen - it looks more like Merck than Amgen. Today I am proud to report that the trend has been reversed and there are more Amgen people at Merck than there are Merck people at Amgen. In fact, some of these are Merck-Amgen-Merck people who made the round trip and are delighted to be back in NJ following a sabbatical at Amgen. I am especially pleased to have my good buddy Junkyard Joe back in the kennel....ahem, I mean the lab.

RMP

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh my dear sweetie, why so much hostility towards me ? My dear sweetie, you have mistaken me for another jealous neanderthal member of the Joe and Roger admiration society. I am clever (not cleaver), I am quick, I am witty. Oh ! One more thing, I am educated beyond your wildest dreams. Stay tuned in for my updates from the Junkyard !

Grrr !

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh my dear sweetie, why so much hostility towards me ? My dear sweetie, you have mistaken me for another jealous neanderthal member of the Joe and Roger admiration society. I am clever (not cleaver), I am quick, I am witty. Oh ! One more thing, I am educated beyond your wildest dreams. Stay tuned in for my updates from the Junkyard !

Grrr !

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No legs on this thread ??

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RP was never a Vagelos who actually created drugs and companies.