Basic Research

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Oct 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is happening in Basic Research? I hear all Cheimstry and Biology will leave Rahway by 12015.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is correct.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great leadership - not
    WP is next

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Will be interesting what they will do with the Rahway site. Understand it may be quite a toxic piece of property

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They used to produce morphine there. Men would leave covered.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who cares. Our R&D sucks the big one anyway. You can flush that whole department. Save billions.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes and they played a big part in WW11and Korea. And if you were around do you remember Leritine, made lots of money

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WP will rise from the ashes of bldg 26. Hopefully. MRL has no hope but for WP.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, the soil under Rahway is quite toxic. I remember the drums of soil they had to remove to build the daycare center.

With the leadership at Merck, nothing is going to save the pipeline. Forget WP doing it, as they are a bunch of incompetent butt kissers. At this point, it would take a true miracle or a total house cleaning for Merck to survive. I don't see that happening. Glad to be out!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, I left in 1999 with extreme prejudice. So glad I did.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why have any of it in America? It's just been one big failure. The best scientist are not here. The only reason why America was a powerhouse is because you took the great scientists after WWII. That was a long time ago. Look at how the educational system is ranked again other countries. Why would any company invest money here when the other countries are so much better. The global economy really shows how weak you are.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

FU

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The brightest people are smart enough to stay away from pharma research. The pay is not what it should be and you get no respect for what you do. Just questions as to why it costs so much to buy a drug that is produced for .50 a pill. Try explaining that to the American idiots. The brightest and most ambitious have moved. Watch how pharma sales gets taken over by former science geeks. A few wardrobe and hair style changes and you've got yourself the perfect person to sell a highly complicated product.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Apparently you haven't been keeping up with what's been happening in sales. We sell nothing. Insurance companies write their formularies and physicians write whatever the patient's plan will reimburse for. Formularies are a paper exercise of indications and cost - efficacy is hardly a consideration and generics are favored.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At one time the best science was done here because we knew how to innovate. This is not exactly true in countries like China. They have good basic skills, but they are not taught creative thinking. Universities that offer a classical education (philosophy, morality, theology requirements) teach people how to think and solve problems.

I do agree the researchers were under appreciated and underpaid. Pretty bad when you have friends who were axed because MRL froze promotions and get hired with huge pay increases because they were trampled down.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would still like to say that the greatest innovation happens in the U.S. However, Merck had an especially toxic environment for scientists...setting up almost a war-like attitude when developing drug candidates. No sharing of information among colleagues because you could lose out on a big bonus and stock options. Terrible!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good point. Well said Thank you.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for the compliment. Merck lost so many great scientists (talking about the 1990's and later) who later went to small biotech companies and hit pay dirt simply because 1) their efforts were appreciated and 2) there wasn't this crazy bonus system where, if you weren't on the "hot" project, there wasn't a chance for a good rating or promotion. I have to say that was really the end of Merck's golden age. Lost a lot of top notch Ph.D.'s who were competent and not butt-kissers. Yep. Been there. Done that. Much happier...as is my blood pressure.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It has more to do with the crappy American attitude and lack of a good educational system. That no child left behind just lowered a already lowered bar. Coming from another country I am shock at how messed up things are here. Parents don't want to be parents. They don't sacrifice time and are so materialistic. It more about wanting a bigger house than raising children. More of a sense of self than family. You over depend on a broken school system as if they are the parents. Almost taking a back seat. A very strong sense of entitlement. Everyone from another county feels the same way. We hang out in groups not to be poisoned by such a culture.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, you hit the nail on the head with the sense of entitlement! We are not from abroad, but I totally agree with your take. The excesses of the baby boom generation have been passed on their children. Our economy is made up of consumerism. Everybody needs the latest iPhone or high definition TV. Retirement savings are horrible. Emergency savings are non-existent. Heck, even the teachers (at least in our state) feel entitled or else they go out on strike. What message does that send?

As long as I am not adding to the problem, I am happy. We live a frugal life, send our kids to private school, and sacrifice to give them the a good education.