Basic Research Again

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Oct 30, 2014 at 7:01 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let's keep this thread on topic.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Read post 49. I love Americans. No real sense of reality. Do you really think it will change if you make a new thread? Some of this is already out. There are many discussions internally that was added. I will now answer it the way you want it to be answered.

We are expanding all research and development across the USA. It should double in size by the end of this month. Everybody's going to get a 50% raise. It will be retroactive from 1980. Every every scientist is going to get a new BMW M4. Fully loaded naturally.

Right or wrong 49 is absolutely correct. I might think it's wrong but it's reality. Why do you think we hired Mr. Do? Didn't that raise any red flags in your mind? May be a little small tiny miniscule blip on the radar. Something?

I wish I knew what you wanted to read.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not sure why you ask this question.
    Here's the truth:

1) no more basic research for disease targets.
    2) only applied research where you take a published model, copy it and do a bunch of drug screening, PK and PD experiments after which;
    3) Drop the model and move to the next one.
    4) any basic research will be done by contract with a laboratory in a university.
    5) any hot new compound will be purchased either from a) university lab or b) small biotech.
    6) any 'research' done in satellite countries is only done to appease the local gov't that Merck is really serving that country's interest. It will not, and is not expected to, discover new entities. It will all be for show.
    7) Once the tax breaks or sales decline, we will collapse the satellite facilities.
    8) ALL PHARMA IS DOING THIS. IT IS THE BUSINESS MODEL DEFINED BY WALL STREET.

Remember, the CEO and BoD do not answer to the employees or to the patients. Rather, they answer to Wall Street and the shareholders. If Wall Street says 'it is time to start working on cow dung, then the company will work on cow dung~!

Stop thinking this is the roaring 80s-90s. We (all pharma) are the new 'Enron' for the ages and we are the beckon call of Wall Street. If we don't do their bidding, they will leverage the stocks to make changes.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Joe, thank you for your leadership on this topic.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is pretty much what I heard from a friend in Rahway. Any people still there is on a year to year basis until work is transferred out.

RP wanted 2 research sites in academic hubs like Palo Alto (is Amgen around there) and Boston.

Seniors scientist (I assume by that they mean ineffective management) will look at drug candidates from either academic research labs or biotech. Then they will choose whether to follow-up on the candidates based on their experience. Loaded word, I know.

There will cease to be basic research like there was when I was hired. No internal drug candidates will come from Merck labs.

This issues in the research in China are many and widespread. First, there is corruption. It is still a communist country. The pre-clinical studies they tried to replicate from WP has been a huge failure. They cannot find proper animal handlers, let alone skilled people to interpret the data. This comes from higher management who went there to observe and said the operation is a complete mess.

I would probably agree that this may be an effort to promote goodwill, as China is a global player. But nobody expects much to come out of there. Posturing is my best guess.

As for India, I am not sure. I do know that on the MMD side, manufacturing is being moved to Singapore, among other places.

I have told you everything I know from all the people that I still associate with. Paints a bleak picture!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Finally, a clear, concise, non-racist analysis of why big pharma, whether US based or not, is abandoning basic research.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are correct, this is the bullshit Wharton School asshole model for running pharma into the ground and out of business. And it's working very well thanks to a complete ignorance of science and a total commitment to raping every penny so that the individuals on top can line their wallets and preserve their positions- while true innovation and the employees get fucked. That's exactly what you learn in budiness school- how to manipulate everything so thst you as an individual can get rich, and fuck everybody else ! When we allowed P. Roy to get away we went from a science focus to a business focus- and it's a fact, you can directly correlate this with the downfall of Merck. When stupid business fucks are allowed to make scientific decisions and dictate scientific policies , that's the end. This is exactly what happened to Merck and the rest of the industry. Greedy business types fucked the investment, banking, auto, and now the pharma industries while they got rich .

UOTE=Anonymous;5256756]Not sure why you ask this question.
    Here's the truth:

1) no more basic research for disease targets.
    2) only applied research where you take a published model, copy it and do a bunch of drug screening, PK and PD experiments after which;
    3) Drop the model and move to the next one.
    4) any basic research will be done by contract with a laboratory in a university.
    5) any hot new compound will be purchased either from a) university lab or b) small biotech.
    6) any 'research' done in satellite countries is only done to appease the local gov't that Merck is really serving that country's interest. It will not, and is not expected to, discover new entities. It will all be for show.
    7) Once the tax breaks or sales decline, we will collapse the satellite facilities.
    8) ALL PHARMA IS DOING THIS. IT IS THE BUSINESS MODEL DEFINED BY WALL STREET.

Remember, the CEO and BoD do not answer to the employees or to the patients. Rather, they answer to Wall Street and the shareholders. If Wall Street says 'it is time to start working on cow dung, then the company will work on cow dung~!

Stop thinking this is the roaring 80s-90s. We (all pharma) are the new 'Enron' for the ages and we are the beckon call of Wall Street. If we don't do their bidding, they will leverage the stocks to make changes.[/QUOTE]

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Absolutely true- look at our last three CEOs who have led our steady path down the toilet- a salesman, a clueless manufacturing guy, and a lawyer.
    Pathetic.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ah, but 'greed is good.'

G. Gecko

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone find it ironic that Gilmartin is teaching MBAs at Harvard Business School? I think his major focus is crisis management. Another lost generation of business leaders!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can believe that Boston is part of the long term plan, if only because of the 99 year lease on the building. Unfortunately, the building is full of sub par scientist that have never come close to discovering a drug in 10 years and never will.

But hey, I work there, so what do I care. Corporate welfare, I love it!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The only idiot that got away with smoking no sight.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you know what's funny? Post 46 said the exact same thing. I guess because it was written by a foreigner it wasn't good enough.

You should be ashamed.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have you ever thought of being polite?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Post 46 has nothing to do with the topic.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Disgusting isn't it- perpetuating another generation of Harvard Business School assholes who will go on to destroy more companies while filling their pockets.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maybe you should learn to read. Phonics might be a good start. I am pro American. The problem is I'm anti-stupidity. No immigrant likes to see other immigrants get slammed. It seems to be a common practice at Merck.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The only people who should be ashamed are the managers in Boston who are totally unaccountable for their failures.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you want read something truly hilarious, check out the comments to all three (wow!) of Gilmartin's blog posts at the Harvard Business Review. He was pilloried and raped by the majority of commenters, and he hasn't written ANYTHING at all for the last three years.

http://blogs.hbr.org/raymond-v-gilmartin/

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No way anyone who is anti-stupidity works at Merck.