Re-apply for positions?

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Jan 8, 2015 at 4:30 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have heard rumor that some people will need to re-apply for their currents positions? Is this odd? Will the positions be posted for others to interview for? Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A very old GSK tactic learned from my end of the company.........SKB !

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Long-haired, freaky people need not apply

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Worked on the SKB side as well, never had to reapply for my job, I think you are making it up.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well the Glaxo people blame everything else on us don't they ? haha

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Read the post carefully, I don't think it was submitted by a heritage Glaxo employee.

And to answer #1, yes some positions in R&D at least are being consolidated, so people have to apply for their job. And no, the positions are not posted.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You guys really think there is a rhyme or reason to all this huh? Interesting. You think there is a protocol in place or business rules? Ha HAAAAAA!!! you guys are hysterical!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is typical of situations where leadership is so poor that they believe putting people through all this pointless stress empowers the individual. It is really just indecisiveness, laziness and detachment in management. If they were engaged in their job, they would know which people are the best fit for each position. Instead, they set up a process whereby people are rewarded for taking credit for the work of others and for blowing their own horns. This has been going on for years. It is a big game of musical chairs where only the best self-promoter has a seat at the end. Unfortunately, Wall Street has a different formula to calculate value. :(

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is done in many companies. It was done at GW and has been done in organizations I have worked for since. Basically they eliminate all positions and create new ones that you have to apply for, purely to avoid legal consequences

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It isn't exactly "reapplying" but you are being put into a selection pool of the employees that supposedly align to the position. For most positions there will be an incumbent and generally that is the person that will be selected (no guarantees). A vague of list of what will be considered has been communicated (incumbent, grade alignment, reviews for the past 2 years) but there won't be an opportunity for employees to interview, answer questions or try to influence their ability to get a position. You may or may not even be aware of which positions have been mapped to align with your old job, and in some cases the positions have been graded down.

In US Pharma, we couldn't get a definite answer of how these pools will be defined (is it your group? Department? Division?). We were told it will vary -- so who really knows. It would actually be great if you COULD interview for positions, but instead it will be 100% selected by upper management. Yep, the same folks that got us in this mess are now ensuring that their positions remain intact while the rest of us squirm. Probably a blessing in disguise if you can get off the sinking ship now before it takes on more water (think Titanic when the first life boats were loaded vs. the end when everyone was jumping into the frozen water).