Novartis Buys GlaxoSmithKline's Oncology Unit for $14.5 Billion

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:42 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Shame about MAGRIT - certainly provided a nice gravy train of international flights, conferences, nice restaurants etc., while it lasted.

There is a lot of headcount at Rix that depended on this working!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Moncef pinned his entire oncology hopes (foolishly) on MAGE vaccine. It was proven to be a really bad bet. Now GSK management (including he) claims that the sale to Novartis is because GSK doesn't have an immunotherapy in portfolio. Had Moncef placed a different bet on immunotherapies that might actually work instead of a DOA cancer vaccine (notice no other pharmas working on similar things?), the "hole-in-the-portfolio" rationale would be shown to be bogus. This is like the child who loses in soccer and takes the ball home so no one else can play.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Moncef is such an appalling idiot. Also responsible for the Sirtris debacle. Why he is still at GSK is a mystery. I wouldn't buy a falafel from him even if I was starving.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here is what Bloomberg had in February 2014 on Novartis vaccines -

News of interest in an outright buyout of the vaccine unit comes weeks after Bloomberg reported that Novartis was trying to arrange a swap deal with Merck ($MRK). Talks with Merck are continuing, the publication reports, but the companies have yet to agree on a valuation of the assets. In light of these difficulties, Novartis is reportedly looking into alternatives, including selling the vaccine business separately for $1 billion.

So since February the value went up to $7 billion? This is for a company that had about $180 million in vaccine sales in 2013.

I get there is a pipeline and it will need to produce over a billion $ in sales over the next couple years to make this a good deal. Sorta doubt GSKs ability to make that happen.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And $200-400mi/yr in losses...

Inexplicable.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Novartis (to Merck): It'll cost you $1B
    Merck (to Novartis): I'll give you $500M. Take it or leave it.
    GSK (to Novartis): Wait, we want in. We'll give you $7B.
    Novartis (to GSK and Merck): SOLD!
    Novartis (to its Board): Quick, get the prospectus on Basel's bridges.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

more jobs slashed-tons
    I promised it a year ago-did not know how but this is one----one and done

oh-and I like the nicknames eg "dimwhittey" please tell me there are really reps on this board who think they are as smart as SIR Andrew?? LOL
    righto matey-- uh--remind me--what does he make vs a rep and does he drive an escape?

lanky very much eye-dee--otts

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What division still has roommates at meetings? Been in Oncology since 2001 and have never had a roommate at a meeting ever. How awkward is that sharing a bathroom with someone else. No way! I'd work for Sears first before I would do that!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Get ready. Buy a night eye mask, ear plugs, and a can of good bathroom spray.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not at all - there are a lot of savings to be made in just eradicating the duplicate positions.

A lot of people left GSK Vaccines for Novartis - they are now worried. At least the ones I spoke to are

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, by your idiotic logic, Bernie Madoff was a genius, just unfortunate that he got caught? I'd love to see your sore ass in jail with SIR Andrew and the rest of those bribery mongers.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What percentage of non-senior level Novartis vaccine development employees will GSK pickup during the acquisition?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As far as we know, none.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What percentage of non-senior level Novartis vaccine development employees will GSK pickup during the acquisition?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How will GSK continue vaccine research in the pipeline without any Novartis research staff? I thought part of the deal was to transfer all employees to GSK? And vice versa, Novartis will pickup GSK employees working on onco products?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sad to say, but that is only speculation for both companies. You probably won't know anything concrete until next year.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why would Novartis, a successful oncology R&D, sales, and marketing powerhouse, want ANYONE from GSK which has publicly stated it has failed in oncology? You'd all better all polishing up your resumes because there's no free pass to Basel/Cambridge. "No soup for you."

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Based on the purchase price, I would say that GSK was VERY successful in Oncology.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does GSK have a need to continue the Novartis vaccine research staff in Cambridge, Holly Springs, and Research Triangle Park?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Paolo - didn't know you frequent this board. Don't forget to drop off your GSK Oncology pom-poms on your way out. And don't let the door hit you as you leave. Plenty of useless videos of you to take as mementos.

Your a great lesson on why R&D guys shouldn't be in charge of commercial operations. Maybe you should have tried to sell pasta first before you took on prescription drugs.