Bach of Science in Pharmacy for MSL positions

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by Anonymous, Jan 16, 2014 at 7:39 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have a BS in Pharmacy Sciences from a pharmacy school. Same courses as what pharmD students have taken (biostat, pharmacology, therapeutics etc).

Would this be accepted for a MSL position?!

Thanks for all serious feedback!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

in a word - NO

Job loves the PharmDs. Not fair but just how it is in the marketplace

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You may have a chance. Try some of the smaller pharma companies!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any suggestions? I have about 3 years in pharma sales total. I've bee told I have a shot at it, but I'm not really sure which pharma companies offers this to BS Pharms.

Thanks in advance!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have applied to several msl jobs over the past year and only managed to secure one interview. I have my PharmD additional creds btw.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You could probably find one eventually but it's just not worth it, get your PharmD it will be a breeze if you do it through one of those distance learning programs. Just avoid the tougher schools like Kentucky, Rutgers, etc I heard they beat the S out of their BS students.

If you don't get the PharmD first though, they'll use this against you at every turn since they won't have to pay you much, won't have to promote you, etc since they know you can't leave. Even the best corporate cultures are guilty of those crimes, just get the PharmD if you plan on MSL work. Even with just the PharmD and sales experience it will be tough though, get some med affairs/big pharma med info experience at least.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They are not exactly handing these jobs out to pharmD holders so this could end up being a huge waste. If he is older(which most BSpharms are) hes looking at a very long time line before he gets what he wants. The online PharmD programs can take up to 4 years to complete plus the clinical experience that they want. He could be close to retirement age by the time he would be considered at which point his age will become a factor working against him.

What I have found out on my own is that with out MSL experience the companies have very little interest in hiring you. I have submitted countless apps over the past year with very little response. One recruiter basically told me to give up on it unless I get some kind of experience in a pharma company. He said that he only looks for MD candidates if no msl experience is listed on the CV he reviews.

Good luck to OP but don't consider the PharmD to be your ticket in.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have worked for a decade as an MSL. A 'D' degree is essential these days to get a job as an MSL. You should try to get a PharmD to improve your chances. As some of the other posters here have implied, most jobs seems to require a two MSL experience as well. Good luck!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not always. Smaller biotechs might take you still. GSK Outcomes Liaisons are nurses, so will probably take a non-D degree.