Advice for Brand New MSL?

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by Anonymous, May 10, 2014 at 2:24 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any words of advice for me? I just accepted an offer from a very large pharmaceutical company to cover a major metropolitan area, and I have no experience as an MSL. I very much want to succeed in this role and I'm looking for all the help that I can get. Any words of wisdom for success, plans of action, reading suggestions, common stumbling blocks to be aware of, cautionary tales, etc. would be greatly appreciated. What do you wish you knew before starting off as an MSL?

Thank you!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nothing, huh. 339 views and no one has any opinions or suggestions. Sheesh.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Be confident in every interaction. the community Drs. are as important as the academic. always show humility.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't be a sales rep. Stick to your SOPs and OIG rules like you life depends on it (it does!). Get along well with your commercial colleagues but remember the firewall that is in place for a reason. If you don't know the answer--don't wing it but use it as an opportunity for a future contact with the person asking the question.

and finally

BE CAREFFUL with off-label information and only answer a question asked--give only the information requested unless you are doing a pipeline or therapeutic area update.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank for the advice. I will keep them in mind as I go through my training. If anyone else has anything, please chime in.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm also a brand new MSL (2 months in). The MSL program is new for my company, so I haven't had much training. I was given a list of KOLs to contact (most have no current relationship with the company). Any advice on how to go about doing so? I have some email addresses, but mostly I have phone numbers for the front office. What do I say when I talk to the receptionist?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I hope your company has a back up plan.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Call early in the day...around 10 - 11 am (after they settle urgent issues and before they get tired) Tell them you are from Medical Affairs with your company name. Tell them you are involved in research and not sales. Ask politely to schedule an appointment with the physician to update him/her on company/product (pick one) developments. If they ask for specifics try to keep it vague - sometimes the admins send you a meeting request with the topic in the subject line. Don't put yourself at risk by being too specific. Sometimes they will say that they need to ask the physician for approval and then call you back. I usually do a PubMed search on the investigator before I contact him/her so that if the admin is acting as a gatekeeper, I can at least list the newest publication from the KOL and explain that my conversation is related. Always be friendly, funny, and get to know personal things about the admin and KOL. They will talk to you if they like you as a person. BTW, I only read CP about once a month (I'm taking lunch now) so don't expect another reply. Good Luck!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi,

How'd it turn out for you? How different or similar?

PS- I'm conducting some research on the Med Affairs function, specifically the use of digital channels for stakeholder engagement. Am looking for people to have a chat with. Let me know if you're up for it.

Thanks.
    G

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Any updates and further advice would be great in this thread.