What the heck does a CAM do all day?

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Aug 8, 2014 at 9:45 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What does a regular sales rep do all day? Let me tell you. Drive almost 200 miles a day to see 8-10 HCPs a day and we are required to see 6 accounts a day. ( 8-10 providers in 2 offices does not count). Schedule FLTS which are a time suck and paperwork intensive. Have to conduct 20% of my total territory targets so that means 27 by the end of the year. ( they keep increasing the goal). Participate in live meetings that are always scheduled in the middle of the afternoon impacting your call avg, depending on time zone. Prepare and study for patient first. Prepare for the multitude of special visitors that want to come ride with reps during launch. Prepare for 1 a month manager ride alongs. Throw in a half dozen to a dozen my learning modules that are due in the upcoming months and expense reports that are a nightmare to complete because we have so many lunches and programs and it takes several hours to complete. Finally at the end of the day you have to enter in calls with very detailed call notes that take a lot of time to enter because the company feels if you do not have long detailed call notes you will not be able to have an productive interaction with your HCP. Now it comes back to the original question? What does a cam do all day? Please do tell I'm dying to know

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sleep til 9 get up check e mail, go to Starbucks, check facebook acct and Instagram acct. go to the gym for a class. Come home shower in time to meet a friend for lunch. Text reps and bug the holy crap out of them to attend a lunch with your customers and don't pay for the lunch but dominate the whole conversation about your little initiative that does nothing to generate sales. Time for a nap!!!!! Whew what a day! Then make some more long distance phone calls to your different accts from the comfort of your own home and put that down as a " acct contact". Make about 4 of those because we all know how exhausting that can be!!!! By now you are probable ready to go to to TJ max and spend a little of that 6 figure salary that you are making. Wow it's 5 o'clock! I can't wait until tomorrow my job is so important and fulfilling

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Reminds me soooo much of the old questions about my job-ie-RAM then NAM- both from reps and especially the managers --same old jealousy--we had 3-4 home office days a week- headset on 3-4 accnts etc--"what do they do all day??!!" they hated us and I loved it--that is why the trend started of the district managers interviewing for managed care jobs--they wanted in!!! a "cam" sounds like they sort of overlap with you --I have no clue since I left long ago --so the question may have more merit on your part vs the old "what does a RAM do all day??? answer---none of your business--do you job, drop samples and deliver food--shut the pie holes and ask your boss if you can interview for a RAM job--good luck with that one!!! LOL

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They do what most reps do but just more of it using better corporate speak in their emails..hope that clarifies what both jobs entail.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

don't even think that they do more than reps......that's a joke my dear !

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Poster#24. Hey sweetie. Clearly you are a CAM. Sit at home and send your corporate speak emails. While I am actually selling something.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My cam is great. She creates access for me!!! My docs and nurses love her and they would rather see my cam than me because she is so awesome!!!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if you actually knew what a CAM does for the business, you would realize their benefit to the company and the bottom line. Start thinking macro, not micro and look at the bigger picture of where pharma manufacturers are in todays market place.

If CAMs are worthless, why do c-suite executives welcome them into their office for multiple hour meetings multiple times a year? Doesn't that tell you something about the role?

Everyone has a very important role in todays marketplace. From sales teams, to payer markets, to CAMs, to ICT, HSAM, etc.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I see the point you're trying to make. With that in mind, it doesn't sound like you have much time to wonder or care what a CAM does all day.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not worth trying to explain or convince. Others see someone making more money and think it's unjustified and they should be entitled to the same.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Get over yourself. Worthless job. No one sees the C suites on a regular basis. Anyone who tells you so is a liar. We bring nothing to their table. Spare me the BS please.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No one is upset because someone else makes more money. People are pi$$ed off because you do almost nothing and make more money. Worse yet, you are an anchor around GSKs neck. You cost the company millions...yes...millions...in salary, bonus, and benefits. How many prescriptions do you think you have actually been responsible for? The answer is...zero! Everything you do (which is very little) can be handled by the field rep. It used to be this way. Reps called on docs,pharmacies, hospitals, medical directors, you name it. Guess what? The company made BILLIONS!!!!! You have a made up position that generates nothing. All that being said, I wouldn't really care except...you will replace me (the local rep) in a layoff. It makes no sense, but that is the way the british work. It;s an elitist mentality. Management is king and the rest are disposable peasants. Sucks for me but true. Wake up GSK! Fire the CAMs, save millions. Simple cost reduction to help the bottom line.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Firing the CAMs would be a drop in the bucket. It wouldn't be enough. Have you seen the quarterly reports? This company is going down quickly.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Every drop count my friend. Getting rid of both CAMs and HAMs could allow you and i to keep our jobs. Not saying I want people to be fired. But their position is a joke. It's a joke that coasts the company millions and millions of dollars every year.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's a joke that you can assume that getting rid of those roles will save yours. I suppose you ran the cost analysis on this?

It's understandable that you see those roles as an easy elimination to save money, but you're not seeing the bigger picture. This organization is broken. Eliminating CAMs and HAMs might save some money, and perhaps buy some time for the rest of the sales force, but until there are changes in leadership at this company we're all polishing brass on the Titanic.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To posts 28 & 35: No I did not conduct a costs savings analysis. I just use common sense. The positions do absolutely nothing...NOTHING, that generates business. As far as executives wanting to meet with you...you are FOS!! You may get a courtesy meeting once per year if your lucky. You have nothing of value to offer them. You think some sort of COPD in-service to a group of providers on how to use the Breo device is something only you can schedule? Gimme an F-ing break!!! You took the job because of the anonymity it shrouds you in. You BS 99% of your calls and embellish the other 1% of them. You glom onto the field reps in-services and act as if you did all the hard work. We know it, you know it, and believe me, the company is beginning to know about it. We have been making our TSMs aware of what your division is all about...or not about. We are making the RBMs aware as well. The company has already done away with Kaiser reps as well as with HAMs. Your next if we have anything to say about it. C'mon back as a field rep. It's not that difficult of a job. Or is it? Tick tock my egotistical friends. It's a matter of time.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

#35. AWESOME POST!!! Well said and this is exactly how the CAM works in my territory. Rides my coat tails throws my name around and they only meet with the CAM because they think they are doing me a favor. When they realize It doesn't affect me and it doesn't help me they want to cancel the appt and cease all contact with them. They are a waste of time and do not bring value