Biosurgery Division - Looking for info

Discussion in 'Genzyme' started by Anonymous, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can someone please give me a quick few points on the biosurgery division? I am looking for the positives and negatives and info on the competition.

-Is Sep superior or inferior realistically speaking to the competition?
    -Is Genzyme committed to this therapeutic area or are they looking to get out of it (didn't see much in the pipeline here)
    -Where is this division headed - Is this still going to be a Genzyme division or run by SA as I know SA has split up their business units under Sa and Genzyme
    -Is there any job stability here (comparatively speaking to the industry in general)
    -Is this seen a different sell from biologics as I currently manage a biotech team of sales people
    -Any other info that would be helpful about making a career change?

Thanks in advance for any serious and informative replies.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amazing how nobody will give information but when they want it for their own good the expect it. Here are some a few insights for you.

-Seprafilm is not a superior product to what is on the mkt. It is one of a few products which are all very close regarding features and benefits. Price will be one issue you have to deal with as well as really know how to sell. If you are a good sales person and service the account well and are able to office if for a good price then you will do fine.

- Gen has a few things in the pipeline here but nothing ground breaking.

- This division is now under Sa. Not sure if that is a god thing or bad thing yet. I anticipate it being for the worse just now sure how or why yet.

- I don't see anymore job stability here than I do with any other pharma/biotech. In fact it may be a bit worse since SA is downsizing in certain areas.

- This is not like selling a biologic since you are dealing with surgeons and not Rxs. This is a tangible sell and not something that is a bill and buy or patients get on their own.

Hope this helps.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for your insights. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and giving me some information! Thanks again this helps.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

See my comments under sepra slurry

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any thoughts on the new purchase here? Good for the division? Opportunity?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes and yes

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any other more specific thoughts on this topic? I have been seeing a handful of postings (executive all the way down to sales representative positions) over the last few weeks for this division. Is everyone jumping ship for some reason? I received a call about an opportunity within this division and trying to get some inside information on the state of the division and market in general.

BTW I am not getting all of my information from this site before anyone comments as they always do on this subject. Thanks.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There was a hiring freeze. It was recently lifted so now there are a backlog of positions that must be filled.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the information!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any idea when this division will be calling candidates? Jobs have been posted for months and months and I am assuming they have not yet started the interview process. I don't think I have ever seen a company take so long from posting a position to starting the interview process?

I realize I may possibly not been chosen but two other qualifies people who were contacted about this position through a recruiter I spoke to said the same thing. Is everything this slow and lethargic here? Is this due to the big bureaucracy of red tape of SA? Not looking to go back into that environment as that is where I am coming from.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey nerd, call the manager directly or contact HR. It's called sales.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have to love when the "computer muscles" come out....lol I'm sure you are the same little twerp who gets "beer muscles" and suddenly grows a set when he is around 10 of his friends.

Do you really think you would respond to someone's face if they asked you that same question in person? That answer is obvious. Doesn't that make you feel like a fake, gutless, coward? Well, at least in your world you're tough, smart, real, witty, and #1 right?? Ahole.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am not sure why the current rep would answer questions about SF inaccurately. Perhaps it was someone from Synvisc attempting to answer? Regardless, here is what is really going down:
    -SF is an outstanding and superior product. Our only competitor is from Ethicon and competes in our Gyn space. You cannot use this competitor in the presence of blood, it must lay flat & you cannot wrap adnexal areas. Failure to comply with any of these 3 things actually causes adhesion formation instead of preventing adhesion formation. Unlike our competitor, SF CAN be used in the presence of blood, it does not need to lay flat to be effective and you can wrap adnexal areas.
    -Our data allows us to call upon 7 surgical specialties and is hands down superior. However, our C-section data lacking with our prospective trial for C-sections only having 52 patients (our more robust data is in colorectal where our largest clinical has almost 1800 patients)
    -It is true our R&D is sparse, which is why they purchased Pluromed
    -New vascular occlusion product will launch October 2012
    -In order to prepare, we will undergo a MAJOR expansion for our division. 49 reps will be added for expansion, including 7 vacant territories (totaling 56 new hires).
    -Interviews will commence June 2012.
    -As far as where we are headed and stability, I can tell you our new comp plan (for 1st half of year) isn’t competitive with industry standards IF you are a seasoned rep. We will get a new comp plan for the 2nd half of the year in early Q3. For seasoned reps (>3 years of experience in device) we are 20k less than the industry standard. However, if you are coming from pharma or out of college it isn’t a bad compensation. Stability wise, it’s hard to say. Upper managements is trying really hard expand our division and improve our resources for selling, however the strong culture we once had is barely visible. The one thing that keeps most of us here is our amazing customers.
    -The days of our reps making >225 are long gone.
    Good luck.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Basically, if you don't have a job & are a Surgical Rep that they will hire, go for it.
    Comp is a salary + bonus, which is a % of your salary...handcuffed earnings.
    Company is experiencing a real Sanofying effect, will become an RX company with a Medical Device. Good reps won't stay, reps with other options won't stay...new VP is putting his own stamp on things with all of his 3 years in the Field from Forest RX.
    This will quickly become a 120K job with the expansion, if not already.
    Manager's incomes will come down as well, again they'll mirror RX Managers.
    I was part of the old group, there are still some good people remaining, those with options to leave will, some of the Managers have no clue...especially the DB who cannot fill Nashville.
    Besides, would you really want to work for a French Company?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks to the two posters above. Sad to hear what is taking place at what sounded like a great place to work and make a living. This is happening all over!! I was quoted 190K-220K for a manager job here. Sounds like that may not be true. Not looking to make a lateral move. Thanks for all of the good insights on everything above to both of you.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

pretty dead-on about being "sanofized". JB is an idiot who likes to talk big talk and quote self-help books about accountability. They are starting to "pharmarize" this device position. Slowly taking away all rep roles and responsibilities and it is only a matter of time before Sanofi completely "Sanofizes" this position as well.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any news on when the interviewing process will start here? Jobs keep being re-posted but many have not heard anything.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone know when genzyme will begin contacting candidates that applied for the biosurgical sales position. Does genzyme use internal recruiters or outside recruiters to assist with
    hiring ?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Prob good for those coming from pharma but if your a seasoned rep in device definitely a step down.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

All info posted above is pretty dead-on! Culture is completely different and income potential is diluted and confusing based on the comp plan. Tenured reps helping interview candidates with no experience at a higher salary than they make... WTF! I have been in the industry for almost 15yrs and this may be the most mismanaged and misguided division with any company I have been a part of. The VP is not open to suggestions and those that have offered didn't stay around long. They are currenty going through everyone's email looking for reasons to fire reps and are still under federal investigation for off-label SF promotion. This is NOT the place you want to be unless you have absolutely nothing else!!