Flat Lower Extremity Sales

Discussion in 'Tornier' started by Anonymous, May 9, 2014 at 8:51 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I read the Seeking Alpha article this morning. If Tornier paid so much money for the Orthohelix line, then why are the sales so flat? It will take many years to re-coop that investment.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well there are about a thousand other companies on the market who make the same thing. A plate is a plate and a screw is a screw. There is also no company loyalty when it comes to podiatry. Its whoever brings the best lunches into clinic that week will be the proud recipient of a $200 bunion screw case. Also your podiatry players (only the 1 percent who actually have hospital privileges) are the equivalent of Gordon Gecko from wall street.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I used to do full line for a competitor and now I just do joints. Podiatrist have no loyalty, are very needy, and take up a lot of time. I had to be at their cases(even cannuted screws) or they would use some one else. I got tired of having to compete against washed up, brand new, or hot female reps for a case that billed out at 200 and took 2 hours. I realized I would rather invest my time and effort into joints. I haven't looked back and am making a lot more now

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Couldn't agree more. The OrthoHelix line has also often been shuffled to different distributors, often without any of them typically having the line for a very long time. That and the fact that when a direct Tornier rep is hired and the previous distributor loses the OrthoHelix line they are often carrying a competing line as well. Many of these distributors have good podiatry/ortho relationships and will simply switch out the previous business to a different line. Lots of competitive reps fighting over fewer cases. Many of these once humble podiatrists now carry themselves like a heart or neurosurgeon. 8 years ago they were thrilled to be given the time of day by a rep. They have been bombarded with so many reps and products over the past few years. I guess when everyone makes you feel like you are important you start to believe it.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has there been a change in the management at Orthohelix? I dont see these same ole guys around town anymore.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

THis couldn't be more true. I used to have a strong business and would pop in and out of DPM offices. Now they expect the world. Lunches, meetings, office promo material etc etc. And if you don't, the stryker, arthrex, wright, tournier, synthes, S/N, or whomever is waiting out the door w/ some unreal quota in the 'high growth' F/A market. This is a burnout for 25 year olds. Fighting for bunions is getting real old.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just got hired to be a sales person for a less than medical sales job. They loved my back ground and it's nice to be appreciated by a company once again. Also, they are promising me $100k + sales income and bonuses for sales achievement. Not take territory away and cut your commissions. Sound familiar? Remember those days in medical sales?

You folks can keep all of this medical circus. I sell in "The Briar patch" and make a hell of a lot more money .....

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sooooo, congrats....please only speak when spoken to, im glad to hear the "patch" is paying well....why dont you spill the beans on your magical new career tooth fairy

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oil and gas industry. They don't cotton much to sissies here. If your hands look and feel like you have been cutting out paper dolls for the past couple of years, try something else.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sales have been flat for the Orthohelix line because the transition from distributorships to direct reps is still going on, these things don't happen overnight. They have some okay products and some really great products as well. Tornier is doing some great hiring of competitive reps and they will see sales increase. To a certain extent I agree, a plate is a plate and a screw is a screw, but it ultimately comes down to the knowledge base of the rep in the room. Wright has a few good reps, but it seems like they are jumping ship left and right. Stryker....they spend too much time in the weight room instead of making calls, enough said. A bunch of small companies left without a full bag, I see Tornier rising quickly in the F & A market

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nice reply JR

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like a prayer to me!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

its flat because the product line blows. along with 98% of the sales force.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would like a list of all the reps in the central region of the US that have been let go or went broke after their 6 month guarantee ran out and they are suffering a noncompete.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That would be all

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So when does Tornier decide to start holding the managers accountable for non effective decisions? If all the sales reps are gone, at some point, you would think the managers would be considered in effective and need to go!

I would like my turn as sales manager on the CORPORATE SLIDE with a guarantee!!!!!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No you don't. Not with this BS line.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why is it a bs line

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not sure what managers you are talking about but every company has there problems. It's not the managers fault they give 6 month guarantees its Terry Rich. I was told that if I was showing progress and growth I would be extended and they have. As the saying goes its not always greener on the the other side and I can tell you from experience this is paradise compared to depuy mitek. You better be careful what you wish for.