Is RMSR Training Important or Needed?

Discussion in 'Job-Seekers' started by Anonymous, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:16 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. KarmaBitch

KarmaBitch Guest

If you really want to get into pharma sales (I wish you lots of luck - you'll be sorry after about 16 months) have a HOBBIES section on your resume'. Make sure you put things like: Yachting, golf, world traveller, philanthopist (and list a bunch of charities from your area like ADA, etc.). Then you'll be profiled as an executive (in their eyes) and you'll be passed on to the hiring manager in less than a day.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hysterical...

3. Karrie

Karrie Guest

I have been a medical device rep for 9 years and what I do is sell the science behind the products to the physicians. To obtain medical sales training is essential and recommended. It could never be seen as a negative or from just a common sense perspective, education in general is never ever negative. I would not take much heed in some of these negative posts about the RMSR certification or training.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where do you suggest that people go and get their RMSR Certification.

5. Jason, if you are out there let me know and reply to this forum as I am interviewing on Thursday for a medical sales job with Johnson & Johnson

6. I agree medical device companies look for the RMSR Certification and industry training. Otherwise, good luck getting interviews without it.

7. I am also a benefactor of the training and certification. Product and industry knowledge is critical to obtaining interviews as well as job offers.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No. You will not benefit from the rip-off artist's "certification programs." I posted this in another area, because I am tired of seeing people taken advantage of. I am a district trainer and a pharmaceutical hospital sales rep so I research these books to see if I can find something useful. I am really tired of seeing these bogus "certification" people trying to rip the outsiders off for hundreds of dollars. You just don't need to spend it to get in. Here's my post to another person on a similar topic.

You are correct. Pharmaceutical sales managers are not the least bit impressed by these "pharmaceutical sales certification"agencies or groups. These people just saw an opportunity to make money and went for it. Pharmaceutical companies train their sales forces with their own very intensive, expensive programs that last for weeks and months; not some little "program" that lasts a few hours.

Are books valuable? Yes, if you choose the good ones. I suggest choosing books written by real reps, first of all. I know that is difficult for people who have no experience as a pharmaceutical sales rep, because you don't know when you are being given a lot of fake information. It is obvious that many books have been written by recruiters and people who have interviewed reps, or have bombed out during real pharmaceutical sales training.

Insider's Guide to the World of Pharmaceutical Sales is written by a real rep because I have met her and the 9th Edition is excellent; that's why it earned the Fore Word designation "Finalist of the Year" for 2008. I also like the "Be Brief..." books. These have withstood the test of time and offer good information to anyone wanting to enter pharmaceutical sales. The Recruiter book on the topic, from the person who actually admits he's a recruiter, has some good information as well, but can't compete with the real life on the job experience from the other authors.

Just my contribution to the new "want to be" reps. And, yes, if you are wondering, I am a pharmaceutical sales rep, a hospital rep, and a district trainer, and I just get tired of some of the bull that I see posted. The job is a tough one and it is very hard to get in and harder still to make it when you do. You need all the help you can get. Oh, and that "3 days" that tells you how to ambush reps is NOT the thing to do. If you want to know how to get in with a rep, take Jane Williams advice from the Insider's Guide. She has the correct answer because she has been there and done that. With fewer positions and greater competition, you need all the help you can get. However, when you get in, the money really is good and your pay AND benefits can exceed $100,000 from the very first year. They are telling the truth about that.

Good luck!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been a medical sales rep for the past 7 years and I could not agree more with this medical rep above. Our industry is very technical and requires a vast knowledge of the medical/healthcare industry. As reps we must communicate effectively with physicians, demonstrate our products, be aware of the selling guidelines and make sure we are in compliance, educate hospitals/doctors on the managed care portion of the product (how do they get paid and make money), provide the clinical research behind our products, and at the end build a relationship with the physicians/hospitals so they do buy our products. If people think they can get into a medical sales career with little medical education or training they are completely wrong.

10. To the above negative quote, the RMSR Certifcation is for Medical Device Sales, not pharmaceuticals which is an industry in decline unlike the Medical Device industry. As a pharmaceutical veteran you are not in our industry.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jason, I am interviewing with J & J, Ethicon. Is that who work for? I did a phone interview last week with a J & J Human Resource staffer. They did ask if I had my RMSR Certifcation and I told them that I was enrolled but have not passed the certification exam. Should I pass the test right away and if I don't will that hurt my chances of getting a job offer?

12. I agree, there are some medical reps who are more pushy than others. What physicians want are reps who are well informed about the industry and can provide value to their clinic or hospital.

13. Peter-TX

Peter-TX Guest

I took the RMSR Certification program and just passed it about 5 weeks ago. It was very thorough, informative and certainly has educated me to work in medical sales. I have not been offered a position yet. I have secured 4 interviews, all with top medical device companies. The training and certification were certainly a big part in me being selected for those interviews. I am glad I took the RMSR program, it will certainly will not be the only reason for me in getting hired on at a company but it was the factor in getting those initial interviews.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I must admit, when I first was introduced to the RMSR Program I was a little skeptical if it would actually help me get into medical sales. But add me to the success list. I accepted a position with Boston Scientific about 4 months ago. I was 100% satisfied with the RMSR Certification program. I love that it's broken into manageable sections. This is an all-inclusive training solution... they give you the manual, quizzes that really mirror the actual RMSR test I've took. I plan on referring several of my freinds to the association and would also recommmend it to you as well.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I began my job search after being laid off after 12 years of sales in the food industry. I had several friends who transitioned throughout the years into medical sales. Once I started looking into medical equipment sales jobs, it was obvious that most prospective employers required or preferred a RMSR Certification.

The icing on the cake, however, was that I received an email from the NAMSR explaining how to get my RMSR Certification. From beginning to end of the RMSR Certification program, there was an unwavering amount of support, industry education, and knowledge that far exceeded my highest expectations. There was no such thing as a stupid question, and ALL inquiries were followed up promptly.

I cannot express my sincere appreciation and satisfaction enough regarding the RMSR Certification Program. It has been a rewarding experience that I would not hesitate to recommend to others as they pursue a career in medical device sales.
    Sincerely, Justin

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am interviewing with Medtronic and they are looking for me to complete the RMSR Certifcation in order to move forward with the process. Where did you get your RMSR Training? I want this job badly, please help!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just found a job as a medical sales rep with Owens & Minor. I love the job so far but I have only been there just over a month. I found the job through the NAMSR Employment Center and I would recommend the NAMSR to anyone. You should look into their medical sales training program--it helped me.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Boy, some of these people who write these postings have to much time on their hands or taking to many prescription drugs. To the post in # 28 the RMSR Certification is "not" for a pharmaceutical sales career but only for a "medical device & equipment" sales career only. Why are you so bitter with the world?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a RMSR Certified graduate and I am interviewing this week for a Medical Sales (Orthopedic-Spine) job. Do you have any interviewing tips?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The RMSR Certification was by far one the best investment that I have ever made! I cannot explain how much I love working as a medical device sales rep. I urge anyone looking to get into medical sales to take the RMSR Certification course. You will obtain quite a few interviews because of it and if you interview well ,a job as a medical rep as well.