Pfizer tentatively offers to acquire AZ

Discussion in 'AstraZeneca' started by Anonymous, Apr 20, 2014 at 7:21 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

From Seeking Alpha

Report: Pfizer tentatively offers to acquire AstraZeneca for £60B+
    Apr 20 2014, 04:46 ET
    Pfizer (PFE) has tentatively approached AstraZeneca (AZN) about acquiring the British-Swedish company in a deal worth over £60B ($100.7B), the U.K's Sunday Times reports. The figure is well above AstraZeneca's market cap of £47.7B.AstraZeneca has turned the offer down, although Pfizer could make a fresh proposal. A deal would be the largest ever foreign takeover of a British company.Pfizer is looking to do something with a $70B cash pile that it has accumulated overseas; repatriating the money to the U.S. so it could be distributed to shareholders would land the company with a massive tax bill.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Saw that too. I hope the company has enough sense to say NO. Pfizer is desperate, they see what we have done to bolster the pipeline. If it does go through, well you know what happens to the sales force being bought.

Please AZ....Just say NO.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The name of the new company will be.....PFIZER. Not good news folks.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Better than Medimmune

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

One may think... Oh the biggest Pharma company in the world wants to take AZ over... That
    may be good thing, right?! No, just look back to 2009 when they took over Wyeth and dumped most of their staff. The thing that gets me nervous though is the fact that how long will PS be with us? He could turn and burn a deal and retire into the sunset...

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As a stockholder, I hope and pray they buy AZ!! This offer is MORE than generous! Pascal would make a fortune! GOOOOOOOO PFIZER!!!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interestingly enough they must think there is something to the AZ pipeline, but certainly given the history they would slash and burn.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Full court press now to calm the herd. This deal is done.......

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sad on so many levels.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

slash and burn baby= the imaginary cambridge office = bye bye

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't understand international tax laws. Certainly Pfizer does and it makes sense to them. This is a very generous offer and the stockholders will accept it or something like it. It's a done deal. AZ doesn't deserve to exist anymore we all know that and we all know the reasons why. Those of us with stock options will do very very well. AZ will be gutted like the fat pig she is. It's over folks. It was a fun ride most of the time but now it's over. PS is going to make a fortune pulling this deal off. The next few months are going to be rocky indeed.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Companies look at other companies all the time.... How many have we looked at in the recent past and nothing happened? Shire, Forest, and many others...... Lets hope this never happens....if so most of us will be gone, given Pfizer's history.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As a former PFE employee, who now works for AZ, I can tell all AZ staff they are truly pfucked if PFE is successful. They are a slash and burn company who will take the portfolio and fire the majority (if not all) of AZ employees.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My friend you are right. Companies look at companies all the time. However this case is different. Pfizer has made an initial bid for AZ. This is serious. The bid was not low balled. It's a serious bid to take control of AZ. This is the first bid. The board is waiting for a counter offer. It's going to make senior leaders a lot of money. I mean a lot of money.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pfizer does joint ventures with companies and eventually buys them. This is the 3rd round of such acts.

All the AZ people better get ready to find work. Pfizer keeps maybe 25% of the people of the old company when taken over. The cancer treatments are what appeals to Pfizer.

Having seen Pfizer whack Park Davis, then Novartis..... it's just another day for them and they are not rookies to this.

The sales people who are on the old company in past mergers were lucky to be retained because Pfizer has an image of what they want in sales reps and most of the industry are not a good fit.

Start looking, the ball is rolling, AZ board of directors look to make out big financially and the little people are not something they consider, this is business people. AZ's culture and Pfizer are 180 degrees opposite which will be just best to clean house because I don't see AZ's people being able to adjust to the policies and expectations that Pfizer will impose.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As a mid level senior exec in HQ I am
    Very happy about this and will laugh all the way to the bank!!! For all you useless POS reps who bragged about not working that much - 2 hours per day etc prepare to meet your maker

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think you mean Wyeth not Novartis. Pfizer never took over Novartis. But I guess that's beside the point. Looking at history, if Pfizer takes over AZ reps will most likely lose out.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes that is correct, the concept is the same, 2014, the year that AZ was no more

I give this merger to August to complete. That way in 2015 the company has effectively given all people packages to go, written off the expenses and start fresh in 2015

this is the danger to all companies who "joint venture"

Pfizer took out Parke Davis because of Lipitor (joint sales agreement and celebrex)

AZ was foolish enough to work with them on cancer treatments.... history repeats itself