Interviewed at a copier company (WTF?)

Discussion in 'Medical Equipment/Device Sales-General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Apr 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tru Dat, great post! I am one of those old-timers. I don't agree with first sentence though, I don't feel like I am owed anything. I feel fortunate that I had many years of making 300-500k/yr. I saved wisely and am now making 150k/yr and am comfortable. I feel lucky I was there at the tail end of the heyday and made some nice scratch.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP here.

Have an in-person interview with ADP next week (just got through the screen). I am pretty nervous! This is exactly the position I want. Anyone have any tips? Ask for the job, dress nice, resumes, etc.. but what else?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you get the job, committ to it. I've seen a lot of people take a job as a "stepping stone" and they limit their potential. Do everything you can to drive business then evaluate your options in 2 years. This may lead you to MDD, software, IT Equipment, Biotechnology, ect. There are lots of great industries and sales jobs out there. If you focus on improving your business acumen and skill set as a rep it will enable you to do more when the opportunity presents itself. Best of luck

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm making 400k a year and have a good QOL....don't work call or crazy hours but I produce big numbers. Go somewhere you can make an impact and never settle in. Good luck.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Original poster here.

Don't know why I am posting this, but maybe it will help other entry level people in the future.

I just got the word that I got past the first interview with the VP of sales at ADP - I am going to an interview with her sales executives tomorrow at 1:15. I really fucking hope this is a good sign. I will try and close (move on to the next step). I think that getting past the VP is a good sign, I hope.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's a very good sign. You are correct, medical isn't the top of the world financially any more. If you want to sell and work in this space it's a good industry. If you are chasing dollars you will likely be unfulfilled

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is the pay structure for ADP? How much is base salary and rough yearly estimate w/ commission? Good benefits? Vacation time? How long is training? I'm trying to figure out if I should suck it up and get a sales gig like this to move up to medical. I get ppl pissing and moaning about what they used to make, but if I can eventually make over 100k I will take it.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Preciously why we will all make less. People are lined up outside the door willing to do the job for less, conveniently companies with shrinking profits are looking for ways to cut costs

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good luck i hope it works out for you.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks. Now I am scheduled for a ride along. Which I guess if I pass is passed along to a Role play, and then a background check. Not smooth sailing yet. I am researching what is expected from me in Role Plays and Ride alongs.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't think getting hired at ADP is an easy process. they do 5+ interviews, role plays, etc. and often want directly relatable sales experience. If you're not what they like, they will move on. They go through applicants all the time.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like a complete waste of time for a company that micromanages the crap out of people.

Most of you on here really crack me up. You think that working for these large corporations is so great. That you have job security (not), that you are an entrepreneur (choked on my coffee laughing right now), that you are a great sales person.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

You are all pawns in the game. It stinks. And I hate to point it out. But, I just want the younger folks and those that never got in the game to carefully consider what they are getting into with this corporate sales nonsense.

In short, corporate sales is not sales.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can't just say corporate sales is not sales and then not explain yourself. It's useless. How about some content?

How is business to business payroll sales in a major market NOT sales?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can't go into detail right now, but consider all the micromanagement and rules and politics that go into a corporate sales job, you are just making them all the money for a base salary and benefits. They control you. If you put that effort into real sales, you make much more w less or no management. Its a trick these corporations have played on people, thinking they are the only game in town. Thats why they love to hire recent grads and the under 30 crowd, because these youngsters are smart enough to do the job, but dumb enough to not know they are being taken advantage of. You will get it when you hit 35.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You gotta love this kind of asshole who knows it all yet can't articulate a real thought. Same guys who are playing LARK in living in mommas basement. Mom give me my PB&J and don't forget to cut the crusts. What a pussy.

Pal look in the mirror and get off your high horse Christopher Reeve. And don't give us the I am an independent rep making 800k and I control my destiny. Shut up no one cares. Back to the basement Darth Nylus.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pain cream bitches!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, you are mad at me for telling the truth?

You are bound to this world, and I am trying to get you away from it all.

But, you love your slavery. I understand. Best of luck with that!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry not mad. But frustrated. You talk in circles like a bad poet. Can you more clearly state what you recommend for us simple people. I would like to improve my situation. Thanks,

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am not the poet, but here is what I recommend:

If you are in FL or NV, I would buy up some foreclosed condos and hire cheap labor to fix them up, and just rent them out.

I bought in 2008-9 and got condos for 20-30k each in Florida. Now, I own several and rent them. They are worth about 50-60k each now. When I need more money, I just sell one. Its not complicated. I still think real estate is cheap in the US. Warm climates with lower taxes is what I like. Cold weather properties require more upkeep and more can go wrong.

There are some good independent sales jobs out there too, but you need to be in NY, LA, or Chicago for those. The other cities don't have markets that support really good independent sales jobs unless you get really lucky and have something fall on your lap.

As for your corporate job, I feel for you. Its a terrible way to live, being micromanged like a clown show. Hang in there and hope to get a serverance. Don't quit! Just learn to relax and take it one moment at a time.

Or become a manager and do nothing and get paid to bust balls.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL- love the Darth Nylus quote. Makes me think of the Stern interview from Comic Con.

I agree, the dude is trying to be the "smartest guy in the room" and when pressed for details he evades like crazy because a detailed response would show that he's a moron and trying to convince everyone being a distributor is great. "Don't work for the man, work for yourself (and pay all your own expenses, etc etc)."

No thanks.