New Pronto 7 Hemoglobin/ Masimo

Discussion in 'Ask Dr. Dave' started by Anonymous, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:22 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dr. Dave,
    I was so pleased to find this forum! I am beginning the interview process with Masimo to begin selling their new Pronto 7 Hemoglobin spot checker. It is the new non-invasive device that measures SpO2, pulse rate, SpHb and perfusion index without drawing blood. The results are determined in less than a minute. Reimbursement is about the same maybe 7-10 dollars more per patient bc there is no info going to the lab. I love new technology and I am really impressed with the company's reputation. My question is this....would you find value in this device? How often do you order these types of tests? Is it important to you that you would not have to draw blood/send to lab/or wait for results? The only competition would be the hemo-que and it is quick, but you must still draw blood. Any thoughts would give me a great idea. I didn't want to talk to my physicians here bc I am currently with another company. Thank you so much! I look forward to hearing your response!!!

2. DrDave

DrDave Member

Sorry for the delay - before I give you my full response, may I ask:

1) Is it approved for use in children?

2) Can you bill for oximetry as well as Hb measurement with 2 CPT codes using this device?

3) How much does the device cost?

My quick first impression is that we already have an oximeter, but if there was a device that could be used to check (and bill) O2 sat and Hb, I'd be interested. (Aside: not for personal gain. For those of you who may not be familiar with my exposition in other threads re: my employment situation, I work for a non-profit Rural Health Clinic for which capturing any available revenue is very important.)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you so much for your response. It is my understanding that you will be able to bill for both. It is approved for children....I thought this was a great avenue considering you won't have to draw blood and the results would be instantaneous. I have no clue how much the device will cost and honestly that will be one of my questions during the interview as well as more questions regarding the cpt codes etc. Ease of use is great for physicians but we need to find better revenue streams for our physician partners! I just don't want to take a job selling great technology that is "unsellable". :) Thank you and any additional insight or questions I should ask would be wonderful!

have a wonderful day!

4. DrDave

DrDave Member

Thanks - if you feel comfortable posting when you find out about cost, please do. My thought would be that if it were priced competitively with an oximeter, you would probably do fairly well assuming ability to bill two CPTs with the same device.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello, Just applied for the same position and am curious if you took the position and how things are going for you now?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, I too was contacted by their internal recruiter and am wondering about the position. I am in the Southwest part of the United States.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So...HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Likewise. I'm on the east coast and am extremely interested. I cannot get a bead on any details though. From what I can gather there are several divisions selling different product lines but the recruiter could not even verify. Looks like $60k base, $500-car allowance, bene's, expenses, etc. The first year guaranteed "draw" is a little sketchy. If anyone has any more inside info to Masimo and help would be greatly appreciated.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interviewed last week Midwest. I was told base 55k, 1st 3 months guarantee 5k, next 3 mos. 3k...They are not sure if there will be a guarantee after 6 mos. nor what compensation replacement would look like. Response was "Masimo will do whats right"...OK if you say so? Supposed to be innovative, proud company.....Need to increase salary base, based on ones experience....To have no compensation plan after 6 months and to have reduced it after 3 is shady...Yes, car allowance was $500......Taking advantage of "saturated" job market...questioning their integrity around this.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The current state of the sales force is bad. It is a very micro managed comapny and most of the first year sales people have their resumes on the street already. Take it for what its worth,

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, great question - Does Anybody know how much this device costs ???????????????

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It can cost anywhere from 0 with 1200 test per year commitment at $7 per test or $7999for the unit and $5 per test

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I keep hearing this company has bad cooties. The word on the street among recruiters is that the management team at Masimo is super slimey all the way to the top. And they push products into the market before they're safe to use on patients. The word is that there's a mass exodus going on specifically in the "Private Practice" division. I have not heard anything good about this company, other than stable stock prices.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Masimo is a joke... but without a punch line.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know these postings were a while back and I am now interviewing for a position with Masimo to sell the pronto-7. Any updates from anyone? product? company? management?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Masimo is currently in litigation with hemocue on this particular product due to alleged false claims on their accuracy. Had an interview with their regional manager, Mike Smits. A phone interview that turned into a non stop infomercial on the Pronto, could not get a word in on any relevant experience I had or what I had to bring to the table. D not want a manager that sees everything as a one way street any only sees things through his eyes which leads to another micro manager that probably came from so far up in Minnesota that he is not in touch with reality. Good luck with this one!!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a final interview tomorrow with the d manager and avp. Manager is very forthcoming with the shortcoming and what is coming down the pipeline and why rainbow was pulled and the differences in results it can get. Very laid back to me, haven't heard a word about litigation with hecacue except that you still have to draw blood for that. As from a long career of nursing I do know that Hg can vary from one extremity to the next as well as venous and arterial and site of puncture so I can very well see that there would be varies non-invasivally. I think it has potential, not everywhere, but some use in some offices.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The following reply was posted by a Masimo manager... So obvious!!!... This is the typical corporate lie they push on employees, doctors & anyone who will listen. The sales devision referenced in bogus quote below is being sued by an army of x-employees who stopped buying all the lies. Sit back and enjoy the show folks...

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you know anything at all about Hb, you know it doesn't fluctuate much within an hour, regardless of appendage tested, body position, etc. Unless perhaps the patient has recently been shot at close range with hollow-point bullets. But Masimo explains away their hair-brain Pronto device inaccuracies by lying about that. Defying all laws of science, logic and ethics, Masimo management trains its salespeople to fool potential customers (or "victims" if you will) into believing that a patient's Hb routinely fluctuates by 6-8 g/dl throughout the day, even if the patient hasn't been shot in the face.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

All Masimo sales people know the product is BS, thats why they are ALL leaving. Only about 10 have been sold YTD despite what Joe says on quarterly calls. I am really surprised the investors havent called him out yet on his lies. He talks about quotes and units shipped instead of sales. Everyone here know these Pronto 7 are not selling, maybe they are going to hospitals....they sure as hell arent going into physician offices