MSL daily activities?

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by Anonymous, Jul 30, 2014 at 8:14 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can you please elaborate on your typical day as an MSL, i.e. interactions, activities, etc. I am on the commercial side and looking to see how different it would be moving over.

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is no "typical day"! The whole thing about being an MSL is the ability to adapt to whateve might arise, whether you are called on Sunday morning to fly across the country to be at a Medicaid meeting in Oregon (when you live in Florida), or you have to go in to do damage control because someone conveyed incorrect information or you have a last minute cancellation show up once you arrive in a city while still on the plane.

Flexibility is the essence of what being an MSL entails. If predictability is your thing, being an MSL isn't for you.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I usually start drinking beer about Noon and then input all my fake interactions. of course there are all the home remodeling projects to get to. so all in all it is a quite unpredictable schedule.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Compared to a commercial field role I would say that the typical day involves less calls and more administrative stuff. You spend a lot more time preparing for and following up with the fewer meetings. The actual meetings tend to be longer, sometimes much longer, so you need to do the prep work to ensure lots of relevant stuff to talk about. There is often a lot of meeting follow up on potential collaborations.

Apart from the field time you end up spending more time in your home office as well as in the corporate office. Beyond preparation for KOL visits this involves a lot of training, meetings, projects and sometimes helping with other medical affairs or development work.

Also since the commercial folks do not have visibility into 80% of what you are doing you have to put up with a lot of them that think you sit around and drink by the pool all the time. That being said depending on the quality of management and the usefulness of the internal meetings you may find yourself drinking a lot more, but that is not unique to medical.