Neuromodulation CS Position

Discussion in 'Boston Scientific' started by Anonymous, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:50 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am thinking about applying for a Neuromodulation position (CS III) wanted to ask a couple questions about the opportunity. I know this is basically a sales support position where the rep will be under a TM for at least 18 months, while learning the ropes and building the territory. I am experienced, so I'm not worried about the sales aspect (prospecting, etc).

My main questions are about upward mobility and becoming a TM. I was told that it's easy as long as you can dig up the new business and also grow existing accounts. Is this true? Or will I be growing the business just to be handing most of the sales cash over to a TM with little chance of getting that chunk of the territory after 18-24 months?

The last thing I want to do is leave a good job and go to Boston Scientific just to be stuck providing support to a TM's customers with no chance at realizing the earnings potential after putting in a couple years of hard work. Also, how is the work/life balance? Any help is appreciated.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are growing the biz, you will not get your own territory. The TM will not let the cash cow go. If you are losing biz, and the territory is big enough, they'll break you off a slice. Work/life? Get ready to bend over and grab your ankles. Hope you brought some lube...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, but is that really up to the TM? Seems to me that is a decision for his/her manager to make. In my experience a territory manager usually has no choice once a territory grows to a certain point. Upper management breaks it into two pieces, so both reps will continue to grow the business. It doesn't make sense that they would only break it off if business is slow. To me, a long term decrease in sales in an otherwise growing market would mean the new sales rep can't hack it and they need to be replaced.

Not saying that is how it works at Boston Scientific, but that's how it works in most places. As far as work/life balance I am okay with working more than normal as long as the pay is good. Of course, if they refuse to break the territory up after the growth is achieved I will move on to a different company. I know TM's never want to break their territory off. It is an automatic cash loss. By the same token, if someone works hard and grows the business it's only fair that they get rewarded. If the decision is in the hands of the TM that is an obvious conflict of interests and they should not have the ability to make that decision.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

TM's have more control than you think. Especially the folks who have been around the longest. This is a dying field and a dying therapy. The days of making money (for any of the companies) is GONE! The "Affordable Care Act" will seal our fate. I'm getting out. I suggest the same for you. If you're not yet in, I'd suggest for you to RUN away! Nothing's getting better around here.

As for the CS position, I agree with a previous poster. Grab your lube and bend over...you're in for one hell of a ride!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what the dipshits on here say. Most are just reps that don't want any new blood encroaching on their territory. They are just trying to discourage you from applying so they can keep milking the titty dry. Med devices aren't going anywhere, even with ObamaCare creating havoc on the industry. They will still be in high demand regardless. My advice is that you apply and do your best if you get an interview. If you get a good impression and an offer then take the job. Get out there and bust your ass. If you're a good rep, you will get the territory.

This forum is just full of a bunch of whiny pussies that have nothing better to do than bitch about making $200k+ for seeing patients and taking docs out to dinner.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What kind of comp is the field clinical rep looking at with a base and bonus or base and commission? Contacted about an opening in Chicago. And do they pay gas on top of the $500 car allowance mentioned above? Or are you paying for gas out of that $500? thanks

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you like anal?

You have two choices: 1) Your nearest State prison -or- 2) Boston Scientific Neuromodulation (especially as a CS)

Choose wisely.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

From what I understand (I do not work for BSC), you get a $300 car allowance and 24.5 cents a mile for fuel costs. That's it. As far as the CS thing goes, it depends on a few factors. Is it CS I, CS II, or CS III? If it is CS I or II, it's just a $45k or $55k salary and a bit of bonus money. You will basically be the bitch of the territory doing all of the TM's work. You won't be a sales person. If it is CS III, it's about the same, but with a $65k salary and a bit more bonus money.if you grow it, you MIGHT get your own territory after a couple years. That is dependent on if you can continue the growth year over year and if the manager decides to hand that chunk of it over.

I actually had a shot at CS III in a territory that they were wanting to hand over ASAP. I passed on it based on the research I've done on BSC, the position, the industry, etc. The customer base in the area they wanted me (rural area with several small cities) is too small with capped growth potential, the earnings potential would max out at $200k if I was lucky. And that is before I would go up against my own sales from a previous year. Like I said, the growth would cap out for such a limited market. It all points towards my earnings decreasing and eventually stagnating at a certain point. I've been in territory sales a very long time and I know how it goes. Now, lets toss in another HUGE variable, OBAMACARE. When this monstrosity goes into full effect later this year it may toss everything on its head in med device sales. I think it's going to kill a lot of the major earnings potential. That's 70% of the reason why I will likely stay away and just stay where I am at. The money is great here and I do not have to worry about more crippling regulations. I also will not have to worry about whether or not I will be laid off from work because of said regulations or turbulence in the market, etc.

If you make good money, have a good QOL, and like your employer I think you should pass on the CS position and stay where you are at.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This position is the most bullshit position in the company. The TM essentially makes you his slave (at least for better money than slave labor, but nothing compared to what the TM is making on your blood, sweat and tears). Stay away! Only an idiot would willingly take on a Boston Neuro CS position. Go to Medtronic, if you want to be treated well!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a former Boston CS. Not a bad gig. Also not the best gig that I've done. I went back to Pharma sales and have never been happier! No crazy patients calling at all hours of the day (and night), and much less pressure. All for the same dollars!

I caution anyone looking into this position to know that the majority of pain patients are CRAZY, INSANE, CRAZY, INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will have your cell phone number, and you will get a lot of calls. That is why I left, #1!!!!!

I had to change my phone number, which was a pain in the arse, but besides that, it has been a dream to get back into Pharma. No calls during dinner, on the weekend, or holidays!!! And no more waking up at 5 am to be at the first scheduled case of the day to kiss ass of the pain doc who doesn't give 2 cents about me...he is using Boston because of the "agreement" we just offered you to essentially pay you to implant my old stuff. All too shady for me!

Bottom line, pain docs are CRAZY, their patients are even MORE CRAZY, and this company is the CRAZIEST of them all! Stay in Pharma. You will have a life and no more CRAZY patients calling you at all hours!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've only been a Boston TM for 8 months now, and curious how your TM was paying his doc to implant our stuff? I agree, these patients are mostly all wacked out.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how many patients are you managing on average at a given time? Also, do you know what the base and bonus structure is for a CSII? thanks

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That depends on the size of your territory but its in the HUNDREDS. They all have your cell phone number and like to call you to discuss problems with their stimulator...and problems that are in the head at all sorts of hours. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to be able to help patients get pain relief and that can be rewarding however, the bad patients outweigh the good. As a CS you are doing all of the work for the TM and are paid crap and most of the TM's are just visiting their Docs to sell the other products they are selling on the side. CS3 you will be lucky to get a base of $60k and a quarterly bonus of about $4k. The TM's can make more than you do almost year in one quarter. They will promise you that you can get to a TM role, but you TM isn't going to ever give up his accounts and once you are in CS position you pigeon hole yourself in there and aren't viewed as a "sales rep". You are better off looking in pharma where you'll make more $ and work less hours and have car/gas than the CS gig. Boston does car allowance and mileage but with the way you drive around it doesn't cover your gas expense let alone wear/tear on your car. If you really want in device, look at a true associate role with another company.